Character Customization

• I made an account on the forums specifically for this post and now, I’ll get to the point.

I simply love character customization in video games, they allow me to be further immersed in the game and just enjoy it much more. I mostly enjoy the free-for-all game mode and I prefer the Agatha Man At Arms model much more than the Mason, and adding customization would simply fix my problems with that. I’m not asking for much here, you wonderful devs you, perhaps an option if you’re playing as a class with a hinged helmet (sorry if incorrect terminology) you could select if you want the face plate up or down. I’d also love to be able to have a selection of different heads or a flat out face customization (ex. Skyrim, APB Reloaded, Fallout 3) with a selection of beards and mustaches. As for helmet customization, I like the unlock system we have currently (I do like horned helmets…), perhaps some more defaults you get at the beginning of the game. Hell, if you’re at it maybe some different armours?

In short, please add:
    Selection of faces
    Selection of Beards
    More helmet customization
    More armour?

• @doodleking7

I’m with you 100%! Character customization enhances any game! I’ve read that Torn Banner has only one character modeler; so this is a tall order, but I would really like many helmets, cuirasses, pauldrons, gauntlets, greaves, boots, tabards, and tunics to choose from. It’s not a big deal if I can’t change the characters face, but an option to choose the hair style/color and beard would be really cool. Also, I really don’t want to have to unlock these by using all the weapons. I usually play as a vanguard. I like all the swords, but I hate using the spear and polearm weapons. Please don’t make us unlock all the weapons in order to choose our custom armor.

• As much as I like astheatic customisation, I still object to this. Reasons being;
    1. Time Consuming.
    Both in creating new models and implementing a larger customisation system would require alot of time and energy from the team that could be put to better use by fixing bugs or creating new maps

2. This is not Team Fortress 2
    Hats and extensive customisation became the doom of Team Fortress 2, as it went from team focused objectives to trade focused hats. I’d hate to see this happen to Chivalry.

3. Loading times
    All we have now are just 2 kinds of helmets for every class. Not very demanding. Now imagine 5 kinds of helmets per class, 6 kinds of tabards, 4 pauldrons, and 3 greaves. Then join a 16 vs 16 server full customisation allowed. You’ll be loading for a while to see all those player parts.

4. Inability to recognise what is what
    Being able to recognise what is charging at you is very important in this game, the characters all have relatively distinguishable silhouettes and colours. The more intensive the customisation gets the harder it will become to recognise which class you are up against, and which team they are on. After all, that friendly Agatha Knight looked awfully red with all that blood on him.

• @SharpshotSid

1. I agree with you that fixing bugs is a priority. Customization and new maps should both take a back seat to fixing bugs.

2. I have very limited experience with Team Fortress 2, so I don’t know what you’re talking about, but I can imagine.

3, I don’t know a lot about programming, but I have played a lot of video games. I can’t imagine new armor adding that much more to the load times, but I could be wrong.

4. Well, each class could have its own armor sets to choose from, but this just makes the character modeler’s job even bigger.

• I want veteran weapons! Golden weapons for getting a certain number of kills with it!! (i think everyone would have vet halberd… It seems like the trendy weapon to use) I’d have the golden maul!! :D

• @Slaughtervomit

I personally don’t like the look of golden weapons. I don’t think that it would look very cool to see my enemies using them either, but I am not extremely opposed to the option if it would make the game a lot more enjoyable for others. If It did happen, I would like the option to still use the default colored weapons.

I don’t have any vet helmets yet. Some of them look cool to me, while others are less cool looking than the original. If I were to earn a vet helmet, do I have to wear it, or can I still wear the original helmet?

• @samuraigen52:

@Slaughtervomit

I personally don’t like the look of golden weapons. I don’t think that it would look very cool to see my enemies using them either, but I am not extremely opposed to the option if it would make the game a lot more enjoyable for others. If It did happen, I would like the option to still use the default colored weapons.

I don’t have any vet helmets yet. Some of them look cool to me, while others are less cool looking than the original. If I were to earn a vet helmet, do I have to wear it, or can I still wear the original helmet?

It’s 100% optional. :)

• 2. This is not Team Fortress 2
    Hats and extensive customisation became the doom of Team Fortress 2, as it went from team focused objectives to trade focused hats. I’d hate to see this happen to Chivalry.

As a long time TF2 player (well over 2000 hours and then some) this is pretty much a lie. Trading and the main game are completely separate. If anything, hats and customization have greatly extended the life of a multiplayer game that started out as a side-game in a bundle package. Now it’s its own beast, with healthy competitive, custom content, and content patches that are implemented frequently.

• I partly agree upon Slaugthervommit’s idea about giving weapons a different texture or model that would serve only as a cosmetic appeal, however making weapons all golden would kinda be odd.

I would really like if they added an “old” model skin of the weapons that were back in Age of Chivalry, running around with the old badass looking Maul from age of chivalry and ect.

• Again, I still believe that bugfixes should be a priority even though having the addition of customizing your armor and face would be a great addition and would bring even more players. Having ridiculous hats would take away from the feel of this game. I currently like the way Gotham City Impostors did the character customization with unlocks and such. I’d prefer that this game doesn’t turn into medieval hat salesman simulater 2013.

• This would be nice… Just so you can quickly spot the different players easier.

• @doodleking7:

(I do like horned helmets…), perhaps some more defaults you get at the beginning of the game. Hell, if you’re at it maybe some different armours?

I want a wolf hood

• Nay, on account of this going to be included anyway as mods once the toolkit comes out. So no real reason to include this at all when you can just add it as custom content to your server later.

• In a game in which brutality and violence are major parts of the combat system, individuality is very important. I really grow numb to the killing after cutting down dozens of archers and vanguards and knights that all look exactly the same. But if each of them looked into my eyes with unique faces of their own, I might be able to believe that I’m killing real men in real medieval battle. So I think at least some hair/facial hair customization and armor/clothing customization would really improve this already wonderful game.

• Sir Jake, I completely agree with you. First we convince the developers then, the world!