Question about gameplay

• So here it is:
    Are you going to fetch out massive battles as part of the gameplay (I mean featuring formation and that kind of teamwork)?

• there won’t be super large scale formations like in medieval total war, servers will be capped to 62 players, so 32v32

• im talking not about scale but focus of developers on quality of 1on1 fights or also group vs group battles. Will there be any practical usage of reallife combat tactics and strategy?
    Simple example: 10-15 players is quite enough to build formation shieldwall + halberts but is there a point to do so if halberts will do a friendly fire on the rank infront ? Or efficiency of wedge formation?
    Not loosing hope for a super-dream game:) but its still pure awesome whatever devs do… even if they gonna make us ride pink ponies, especially if they gonna make us ride pink ponies. ;)

• i doubt large formations like that will be used in the game, since it’s not 100% realistic, but you might see archers shooting over knights or Vanguards with shields that are blocking a hallway. I believe the devs are mainly focusing on the smaller scale fights such as the 1v1’s, but the large group fights will be more just scrimishes than organized formations.

• that what i wanted to hear
    ty:D

• Aye, im glad we arent promoting the ‘total war’ mindset, battlefields are hectic, confusing, and there is alot of ‘friendly fire’. I cant wait to see everyone in the final release.

• 32 players is the current cap. Check out our new devblog for more on what the game is going to play like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … GnuCjueong

• Why is the player cap 32? Unreal handles 64 quite nicely does it not?

• its a matter of servers being able to handle it, even with Battlefield 3, there are more 32 player servers than 64

• @Lancebringer:

its a matter of servers being able to handle it, even with Battlefield 3, there are more 32 player servers than 64

Not so much a matter of what server can or cannot handle 64 players. Now days, good servers could probably host 200 players.
    It really comes down to how well the net code is programmed.

Battlefield 3 is designed as a large scale 64 player game that can be scaled down to smaller battles.

Now take a look at a game like King Arthurs Gold, (still early days yet) which is trying to improve it’s net code, but even with 12 players, can be laggy.

CMW is designed for 32 players (although i’d like to see 64), so while servers might be able to handle 200 players, the netcode would need to be rewritten for larger amounts of players, and probably the actualy game mechanics.

• @Otreum:

@Lancebringer:

its a matter of servers being able to handle it, even with Battlefield 3, there are more 32 player servers than 64

Not so much a matter of what server can or cannot handle 64 players. Now days, good servers could probably host 200 players.
    It really comes down to how well the net code is programmed.

Battlefield 3 is designed as a large scale 64 player game that can be scaled down to smaller battles.

Now take a look at a game like King Arthurs Gold, (still early days yet) which is trying to improve it’s net code, but even with 12 players, can be laggy.

CMW is designed for 32 players (although i’d like to see 64), so while servers might be able to handle 200 players, the netcode would need to be rewritten for larger amounts of players, and probably the actualy game mechanics.

ah, i stand corrected, i bow to your knowledge of game server code

• Also, consider CMW more complicated than a simple shooter :)

• @yush:

Also, consider CMW more complicated than a simple shooter :)

true story

• Everything aside, as seen in game play trailers and media etc, the maps are shaped perfectly to cater for the player capacity

8-) 8-)

• Hopefully all the maps have a similar scale, too, so we don’t end up with situations like we had with Tombs and Tournament in AoC. Random 12 player maps thrown in to a 32 player experience so they’re just left out of every server because they’re too much of a horrible clusterfuck otherwise.

• so we don’t end up with situations like we had with Tombs and Tournament in AoC. Random 12 player maps thrown in to a 32 player experience so they’re just left out of every server because they’re too much of a horrible clusterfuck otherwise.

This is bad indeed but we will still see the infamous: 12 players on a map designed for 62.
    Is there a way to adapt map cycles to the number of player like just before loading the next map?

• It would most likely be up to the server owner as to what maps are in rotation, And im not sure, but that level of coding might just be server side, This is speculation, i really just dont know.

• You know what? I’m already lost here.
    Fuck it, let’s hack’n’slash everyone be it 6 or 32, i’ll take them all! :P

• @N0xdog:

You know what? I’m already lost here.
    Fuck it, let’s hack’n’slash everyone be it 6 or 32, i’ll take them all! :P

Another post i want to ‘thumb-up’