Idea about rewarding good players

• It’s not my idea, I got it from Call of Duty 3. That game had a very addicting system, which had three mini ranks. The ranks were reset in every round.

• When you got 10 kills, you got the first rank. That gave you one extra grenade or such.
    • 20 kills, you got the second. Again, one grenade added at spawning.
    • 30 kills, you got the last rank. Maximum extra grenades.

It was very addicting, 'cos it gave you a reason in every round to rack up kills fast. Also there was visible insignia for other players about this. So you could spot the best killers in your team right away on the battlefield, without having to check the scoreboard. And they kind of became “natural leaders” of the whole team, people would follow them and back them up, since they realized that guy can kill, so they would team up with him, stay behind his back and help him and survive better.

Was very satisfying to be that player, that reaches rank 3 first on the server, and gains this natural leadership. Like in real combat.

I think Chivalry could adopt the same kind of system. Or maybe make only the best killer on the team have a special insignia above him, which would identify him to others as the best. And give that player something extra in spawn, like a better sword only accessible to that player only, “Hero’s Blade”, better armor or extra throwing axes etc.

Also the other team should be able to see who is the enemy hero. That way they could be feared and respected on the battlefield, and there would be competition on who gets to be that guy. Also, it could change mid-round if someone gets more score/kills than the present hero.

If you don’t want to do it because of balance issues, maybe just add a visible insignia to the best player on the team. Not scoreboard, but on screen on the top of that player, so that everyone can easily spot the best one. And that guy gets to feel like William Wallace, lol…

Some people might think the scoreboard does the same thing, but it doesn’t. You don’t have the time to check it in the heat of things, you don’t know if the person running in front of you is the crappiest noob or the MLG pro.

• If a player is clearly of a higher level than anyone else on the server, people will know him without him getting some sort of indicator - just like IRL. And I don’t see why a player who is apparently already the best should get an additional perk.

Also, I disagree that the player with the most kills is by default the best player. K/D/TK ratio would be a better measure, but even better, players should be rewarded less for a simple kill, and get more points for achieving objectives or stopping the enemy from achieving them (killing an opponent who is currently achieving an objective for example). That way, you promote teamwork rather than increasing even more the number of people jumping into melees with their two handed weapon swinging wildly, disregarding the friendlies they’re hitting just to get that extra kill.

If you want to use another game as an example, I would say to have a good look at newer games like Battlefield 3, where it’s not unique for a player with no or only a couple of kills to end up at the top of the scoreboard, because things like repairing friendly vehicles, reviving teammates, suppressing enemies and capturing bases can score you just as many points as just killing enemies (which, granted, is of course also important :) ).

The unlock system within Chivalry is extremely limited in this regard, kills being the only thing counting towards unlocking stuff.

• I really disagree for this matter that there should be reward for good players, and to be absolute realistic, If there is a good player playing among publicers, then there will be a mass slaugther for everyone who already dears to challange that player. You won’t need to check the scoreboards either, cause that person will always be around the main point (objective) and just slaugther. Giving him more advantage would just be lame. IF this was implanted, it would just ruin how things are working out in clan wars and ect.

• Fine, maybe giving extra weapons for better players doesn’t work (It worked in Cod3 though…) but why not make a visual indicator about the top player on team. That wouldn’t affect any balance, and would be a cool feat. Do you really always know who the top player is? I don’t, because the names don’t appear on screen unless you are very close and pointing at a teammate. Situations and people around you change fast, and I really don’t know who is who in normal situation. I just see reds and blues, and rarely know their names.

• A visual indicator is cool and would be fine, but indeed rewarding the best player with a actual advantage isn’t the way to do it. A single player can turn the tide of an entire battle, you don’t need to make him even stronger. ;)

• I’d never want my team following me around. Fighting the enemy is plenty of challenge for me, without having more berserking teammate, chopping me to pieces with their mad swings, with me than necessary.

Neither do I agree on the visual indicator. I don’t want the game telling and guiding me on who is a challenge and who not. I’ll figure that out myself. Awareness and observation of the battlefield is part of the game, why would you want to take that away?

• When I am in a game, people usually have a fairly easy time spotting me. I’m the guy with the big hammer.

• @Siegfried:

I’ll figure that out myself. Awareness and observation of the battlefield is part of the game, why would you want to take that away?

Because he - and many others - are just BF/CoD/YouNameIt arcade-rail-shooter victims who find it harder and harder to play without visual indicators (which are totally obsolet btw!)

PRESS ‘R’ TO RELOAD!

PRESS ‘SHIFT’ TO HOLD YOUR BREATH!

PRESS ‘X’ TO SWITCH FIRE MODE!

PRESS ‘2’ TO SWITCH TO SECONDARY WEAPON!

PRESS ‘CNTRL’ TO SPRINT!

THIS is really freaking me out nowadays! Same goes for friendly/enemy markers above heads and shit like that, I HATE it!

And that is why I love games like Armed Assault 2 and the like. NO fucking anything on your screen! I have a BRAIN, I absolutely KNOW what I have to press and WHEN! If not - I LEARN it with my BRAIN for FUCKS sake! It worked 20 years ago, it would work now… But no… le us happily clutter the screen to shit! :x

On a side note, that is not directed towards the OP, it is my general opinion and probably shows what I think of OPs idea… Still, no offence.

Peace and love to everyone…

• @William:

@Siegfried:

I’ll figure that out myself. Awareness and observation of the battlefield is part of the game, why would you want to take that away?

Because he - and many others - are just BF/CoD/YouNameIt arcade-rail-shooter victims who find it harder and harder to play without visual indicators (which are totally obsolet btw!)

PRESS ‘R’ TO RELOAD!

PRESS ‘CNTRL’ TO SPRINT!

THIS is really freaking me out nowadays! Same goes for friendly/enemy markers above heads and shit like that, I HATE it!

And that is why I love games like Armed Assault 2 and the like. NO fucking anything on your screen! I have a BRAIN, I absolutely KNOW what I have to press and WHEN! If not - I LEARN it with my BRAIN for FUCKS sake! It worked 20 years ago, it would work now… But no… le us happily clutter the screen to shit! :x

On a side note, that is not directed towards the OP, it is my general opinion and probably shows what I think of OPs idea… Still, no offence.

PRESS LMB TO WIN!

• @Slaughtervomit:

@William:

@Siegfried:

PRESS ‘R’ TO RELOAD!

PRESS ‘CNTRL’ TO SPRINT!

PRESS ‘LMB’ TO WIN!

(fixed)

• Good players will like
    bad players will dislike

I’m lvl 40 so +1

• Are you always that narrow minded BerserkerSan? It is always black & white, is it not?

Let us assume I am a decent player who, mostly, is in the servers top 5, ok?
    Still - I am totally against this and you would know this If you would have read this thread, specially Siegfried´s and my post, you would have noticed something.

We even said WHY we are against shit like that. Still, you burst in here and release this crap? Wow!

And on top of that, since when is lvl40 ANY indication that a player is good? Actually it says, you spend a lot of time with this game, it says nothing about your skill at all.

• @William:

@Siegfried:

I play Arma2 too. But can you really tell who is who in your team, when people running and slashing around in hectic combat situation? Because I don’t. All I can tell that ok, we are reds and those are blues, let’s kill them. One visual indicator (maybe on/off selection in options) is not much to ask. Or a selectable option in the menus, to turn on constantly visible team mate names. You’re over-dramatizing it.

I too am generally against HUD elements, because they ruin immersion and realism. But would be nice to have the option to know, who you are fighting with.

Edit: One note about my original idea. In Call of Duty 3 it wasn’t unfair for anyone, because everyone had the chance to get those extra grenades. Only unskilled noobs wouldn’t get them. And good players would get them in the same time. They offered a small advantage, but only small. Call of Duty 3 was played a lot as a clan game and I didn’t hear anyone complaining about it being unfair. Actually the game was very skill oriented compared to present day CoDs and their stupid streaks.

• Actually the game was very skill oriented compared to present day CoDs and their stupid streaks.

It was KILL oriented, which doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with skill. You only have to join any public Chivalry server to see how you can still get lots of kills without skill (just button mashing), especially those people who swing their polearm right into any melee, “don’t care if I kill or severely wound some teammates as long as I get that kill”.

I would say a duel server is the only place where it applies that kills somewhat equal skill. But even there it wouldn’t be the first time some guy only accepts or issues challenges to beginners, thus racking up kills easily without having skill. A tournament server, where every player would get one fight against every other player, and then check to see who had the most wins, would come closest I guess (hm, that would actually be a nice new gametype!).

• @Shredmaster:

I too am generally against HUD elements, because they ruin immersion and realism.

Then why are you voting for this ‘visual indicator’? It most certainly is not necessary, since anyone with half a brain can figure out which other players on the field are good and which are not.

All you’re doing is softening this game up to the point where it holds your hand everywhere. I don’t want to play such a game. I don’t want to play a game where I’m guided and hinted what I should do every step I take. That is boring. I want initiative, innovation, action and skill. Not some brain-dead melee-simulator in the style of Call of Duty.

And I do not think this is over-dramatizing it. If people are already asking for such nonsense features, that promote brain-dead gameplay by decreasing the overall-awareness level of the game… That is a pretty big deal to me.

• Of course I can tell? The only thing I struggle with occasionally is remembering on which side I am since I clearly prefer Agatha. So being Mason can get troublesome for my own guys cough

Still, no problems identifying friend and foe, how could there be a problem? And If I should be in doubt - I dont attack.

Identify - Attack - Kill

Simply as that.

Regarding MW3/BF3 whatever… rewarding good players with stuff that makes them even better is silly and can be discouraging for bad players/beginners in my opinion.

• No thanks. I don’t want to see things implemented in a completely different game just because “it worked for CoD3.”

That’s nice. It works for CoD3, and it should stay in CoD3. But I’m not convinced this would add anything to Chivalry besides annoying HUD elements.

Giving the player an advantage just because he’s good is a bad idea; at worst it leads to snowballing, and at best it doesn’t have any effect. Why should a skilled player need to be rewarded for doing well? I’m pretty sure getting kills is its own reward.

Besides, we shouldn’t reward people for getting kills; if anything, we should reward them for doing objectives and helping the team.

Someone else mentioned in another thread about “Carrot on a stick” gameplay, where modern games artificially extend gameplay by giving people some “goal” besides improving ones own skill. Chivalry already has an unlock system (which often leads to people playing a class just to unlock weapons, which is toxic to gameplay). It doesn’t need more carrots.

• Honest as heart attack :

The best way to award good players is not to add totally unnecessary bullshits to the game .
    Absurds with the scoreboard are not something good players care too much (not to mention at all) .

Because a lot of Call of Duty players I heard many times to suggest pretty much everything , which they saw in Call of Duty , but their suggestion are always unique & noone else ever could invent such gameplay mechanics . One is bigger than those , because they already know everything , ask them if don’t believe .

Copy - Pasting Call of Duty is not creating a game or improving existing 1 , it is called ‘‘game cracking’’
    (usually is not very successful , most of those who crack are not very good , mostly singleplayer of a game is cracked thatswhy , some very big titles - multy aswell ) .

& Call of Duty is such a good game …
    :lol:

• @William:

Of course I can tell? The only thing I struggle with occasionally is remembering on which side I am since I clearly prefer Agatha. So being Mason can get troublesome for my own guys cough

Still, no problems identifying friend and foe, how could there be a problem? And If I should be in doubt - I dont attack.

Identify - Attack - Kill

Simply as that.

Regarding MW3/BF3 whatever… rewarding good players with stuff that makes them even better is silly and can be discouraging for bad players/beginners in my opinion.

Not talking about identifying friend or foe? Was talkin about identifying the top players. And Cod3 was skill oriented, it had bolt action rifles which were one-shot-one-kill no scope weapons. A shooter can’t be any more skill demanding than that game. Has nothing to do with present day MW/BO crap.

Game design is always about using existing ideas and building on top of old ruins. You think Arma2 would exist without Wolfenstein 3D (the original old one) or Doom 1. If you do, you’re wrong.

If you think I’m some CoD kid, you’re also wrong. I’m 33, been into gaming since Commodore 64. I’ve seen it all. Don’t care about the new Call of Duty, they are for kids. But Cod3 had one of the best multiplayers ever created (even though the SP was mediocre) and people should learn from that.

I don’t say that my suggestion would necessarily work in medieval game, but you have a crappy attitude. Most of you probably haven’t even played that game and don’t have a clue what I’m talking about. I know some players that are in top competitive gaming clans in my country, and many of them say that CoD3 was the best multiplayer there ever was.

• I played many CoD titles, many BF titles, and Medal of Honor as well. I do know those arcade-rail-shooters very well and I hate them for things like those mentioned here.

I strongly dislike any stuff on my screen. And for what ever reason do I need to identify good or bad players? I do not care if I slaughter a noob or a pro, or get slaughtered by noob or pro.

And game design does not mean to copy every crap into the next game!