Shields are awesome

• Hi, I’ve been playing chivalry since it first came out and have made quite a few observations about the playstyle of different players. One of the more interesting things I’ve noticed is that people tend to look down on shields because they’re considered “noob tools” if you’re going against one and large and unwieldy when using one.

Shields are probably one of the most versatile tools at your disposal, whether you are a javeliner, MAA or knight. I don’t use shields that often because I heart vanguards (spears are OP in 1v1), but when I really need to win a game, one of my first options is always MAA with heather and dane/broadsword, or knight with kite and long/warhammer

Here are a few benefits of using a shield, some well known and some not so obvious:

1- Shields block projectiles, surprise! Probably one of the most powerful functions of a shield is that you are just about invulnerable to archers and all their throwing axe/knife little friends. If knight A carries a shield and knight B carries throwables, A will be at a distinct advantage due to his shield negating B’s projectiles and thus being able to use it afterwards. Thus, shields allow you to rush enemy positions without fear of archers, then lay the pain on the opposition personally with a preferably close ranged, fast weapon (warhammer anyone?). And i’m sure anyone who has used a shield before can attest to that awesome feeling when you approach an archer with your shields up and you know the poor bastard has no way of hurting you before you shield-bash his face in. As a passive bonus, shields protect you to a certain extent even when you don’t have it up, depending on your position relative to the projectile.

2- As a follow up to above, one lesser known advantage of a shield is that it protects your back from projectiles when you aren’t using it. Its enough for you to scram from a losing battle without having to zig-zag from arrows, simply by putting back your shield. One great advantage of a pavise is that without deploying it, you can look behind the action while reloading your xbow, and it will cover (most of) your ass.

3- Shields make it a lot easier to handle feints. Facing an experienced player can be a nightmare if you can’t determine when they’re faking, especially if you’re using heavy weapons like the brandistock or zweihander. Shields are great for this purpose, especially for the defensive player. Keep your shield up when they’re attacking or feinting, then assuming you don’t get knockback, go in with a stab. Most players who use feints will drop the act once they get hit, since 1) they panic, and 2) they know you have the faster 1H weapon, so feinting is pointless once you’re in range with a hammer-in-your-face

For general combat, the tactic with a shield is to go aggressive against vanguards (due to their long range) and be cautious around MAAs and knights with short-range weapons. Good spearmen will keep their distance from a shield wielder and stab when you create an opening. Get personal with him! Against spears/halberds/great swords, get in, shield-bash, and stab first, then finish off what’s left. Your primary advantage is the shock value since getting in close is very disorienting to a spear player, who relies on long reach, and decently powerful attacks. However, if you hit his block, BACK OFF, because a stab will certainly get you next at the range you are fighting.

For MAAs be careful since they’re fast, and are experts at the range you are comfortable with. Be careful around them, but also note how paper they are. I have no specific tactics against MAAs/short rangers, just be sure to block often (what you’re best at) and be wary of dodges. Oh yes, a shield makes your mouse scroll speed slower when you swing, so you won’t want to try outmaneuvering a good MAA player (unless you’re brilliant).

One important rule of shields: If you miss your swing, BACK OFF. If you hit a block, BACK OFF sometimes. If you’re too man to back off, at the very least be ready to bring up your shield. The follow of many players is to assume you can get another swing in after being blocked. Experience dictates that unless your weapon is far faster than your opponent’s, the other guy is more likely to recover from being hit and take a good-sized chunk out of you.

I hope I’ve given you some insight into the sheer awesomeness of the shield, and hope it becomes more popular in team objectives where it truly shines :)

TL,DR: Shields are OP (not really)

• Shields>Feints:
    Considering how retarded feints are, where you can make any weapon’s poke look exactly like a full on poke by feinting at the last second, and it returning to idle looks like it’s moving forward. Being immune to feints is insanely important this patch.

Shields>Projectiles:
    Projectile protection takes awareness. Take some time in 3rd person view to see how and where your passive projectile protection is, when your shield is on your back or idle by your side, so when you’re regenerating stamina or hp, you know how well you’re protected and from where. I often use tower shield and a 2h and use passive protection as much as I can by looking away from archers, or crouching while looking down, and strafing left.

Also if you’re charging an archer, note if he’s looking down or up, and block down or crouch if he’s looking down, and block up if he’s trying for your head.

That’s all I think of with shields.

• Good point, Demin, crouch shielding can be useful if you’re using anything short of tower.

I might also add that when engaging spearmen, pikemen, or even swordsmen for that matter, NEVER I say again NEVER engage in blow trading, because 7 out of 10 times you will get owned, especially if you’re going against a defensive spear player who knows his shit. You’re a mid to short ranged attacker, not a long range guy, so get close and finish him. When I play spears I always see poor shield wielders keeping their distance when they should be rushing me, and I don’t even have to block their attack before following up with a stab. It breaks my heart when some even try to feint when they obviously are NOT in range to hit me. When I meet an aggressive shield knight/MAA, my first instinct is always to back off, let him take the initiative, then hit any openings, so always give your enemy no quarter.

Here’s an analogy: If you get pinned down by a sniper at range, you don’t fire back at your distance, that’s a sure way to get picked off. You get closer to him, moving cover to cover, then plough him at a distance where his rifle can’t do jack shit. PLAY ON YOUR TERMS, not your opponents.

• I would argue shields aren’t weak at all - I think they’re overpowered. Immunity to feint is just too useful in 1v1. That’s why they are ‘noob tools’.

• I mainly play 2-hander for combat but I always carry a shield as well mainly for the projectile reasons mentioned above. Sometimes if certain players are too good at avoiding my 2H swings and getting me with facehug 1H combo feint rape, then I’ll usually switch to shield + 1H to stand a chance.

I don’t think it is necessarily a noob tool and sometimes it becomes essential. Like trying to get near enough to attack the king in the arrowspam room sometimes requires a tower shield guy up front with team mates following closely.

I’ve formed a defensive crouching tower shield line with a couple of other players in front of the corpse cart (inside the tunnel leading to the second gate) before… with 2 of our archers behind us- that was definitely OP! :D

• Ignoring shield drop time when attacking with shield up is currently making large shields overpowered because they have none of the weaknesses of small shields while negating their own weakness (slow drop).

• @Bloodhead:

I would argue shields aren’t weak at all - I think they’re overpowered. Immunity to feint is just too useful in 1v1. That’s why they are ‘noob tools’.

Why, because you have to work at getting the hit in instead of mashing a button a few times as you attack?

• It’s important to note that shields extend the hitbox of your character when at your side. So, if you don’t have your shield up for blocking and someone hits a part of your shield that isn’t touching your body but your shield, you take damage for it. If you put away your shield and someone attacks that exact same spot, you don’t take damage for it.

Be careful about that.

• Interesting, never knew that.

I’m always charging shields up, unless i’m fighting quicker opponents.

• Shields are great but I only ever use them for one thing, counter missiles, emote and ehm that’s it.

Person who said shields are OP is stupid :?

I’d rather and I always use 2hander vs vanguard, MAA and other knights.

Also if rushing down an archer or similar it is better to block with shield just about when he will shoot then to run with the shield up because a good archer will simply shoot your dead angle like feet or some.

One thing I have noticed however that must be a bug as an archer is when shooting an arrow to the head of a crossbowman facing each other the arrow sometimes hit the back-shield next to the head as if it was a magnet.

• @Blackjack:

Shields are great but I only ever use them for one thing, counter missiles, emote and ehm that’s it.

Person who said shields are OP is stupid :?

I’d rather and I always use 2hander vs vanguard, MAA and other knights.

Also if rushing down an archer or similar it is better to block with shield just about when he will shoot then to run with the shield up because a good archer will simply shoot your dead angle like feet or some.

One thing I have noticed however that must be a bug as an archer is when shooting an arrow to the head of a crossbowman facing each other the arrow sometimes hit the back-shield next to the head as if it was a magnet.

You don’t play on duel servers I bet. Shields are op, 'cause feints do nothing to them, and your awesome techniques to get around blocks only works on newer players. Guess what, you can’t do shit about stab feints, 'cause it’s next to impossible to tell if they’ll go through with it or not.