Class/gameplay balance and a few observations.

• I’ve only played the game since official launch and am level 20 or some such. I’ve unlocked everything for the Vanguard and Knight as well as all the bows for the Archer. No real MAA play.

I mainly posted this to make a suggestion in regards to the latest patch that saw archery speed increased. I feel the projectiles are too fast and make archers more deadly than they aught to be for a fun game. I enjoy having archers in the game, I think they really add to the chaotic melee feel of the game.
    I feel the projectile speed should be lowered somewhere between the last two values. I used to do ok with the bow but can now top score with it, it also seems the head boxes are massive and you easily score headshots when hitting the upper chest. I rarely use the Vanguard anymore due to not having a shield option.

Another general comment is light weapons can block the Maul and other massive heavy weapons with no penalty. Archers can block with a dagger and be at no disadvantage in a 1v1 vs a Vanguard or Knight. I think stun times should be increased when blocking with lighter weaponry vs heavier weaponry.

I also feel fast low reach weapons have the edge in the game. Blunt weapons are also over represented as they smash knights and vanguards. I love them personally for this reason as they still do lots of damage to the lighter classes anyway due to their inherent lower armour and health.

I don’t see what the Bearded Axe offers over the Poleaxe for the Knight class either. The Toasting Fork for the Vanguard is also a weapon with no real incentive to use.

• @Polycotton:

Another general comment is light weapons can block the Maul and other massive heavy weapons with no penalty. Archers can block with a dagger and be at no disadvantage in a 1v1 vs a Vanguard or Knight. I think stun times should be increased when blocking with lighter weaponry vs heavier weaponry.

I also feel fast low reach weapons have the edge in the game. Blunt weapons are also over represented as they smash knights and vanguards. I love them personally for this reason as they still do lots of damage to the lighter classes anyway due to their inherent lower armour and health.

You aren’t the only one who feels this way - this discussion comes up from time to time. But how much more disadvantaged would you like the lighter classes to be in a melee fight against a knight or vanguard? It feels like you’re asking for the matchup to be essentially an auto-win for the heavier class.

When people complain about light weapons being too OP, I look at how many knights and vanguards are in your average match and wonder why the room isn’t full of all those OP dagger archers running around ganking everyone. It doesn’t happen: in my estimation about 80% of players choose either the knight or vanguard, and I don’t think it’s entirely a matter of style.

If this is not an appeal to game balance, but an appeal to reality/verisimilitude, then you have to understand that balance has to come first. There are a number of unrealistic things that go on in this game (healing completely from bloody wounds in seconds by just standing around, for example) that serve the balance and fun-factor of the game. The fact that you can parry an overhead maul strike with a thrusting dagger is a part of that.

If you’re having trouble with smaller, faster weapons on classes like the archer, keep in mind that you carry a secondary weapon which can be pretty quick in its own right.

• You make good points. It often seems one poorly timed swing and then you are chain stunned by the quicker opponent without a chance to recover.
    I need to play the game more with the different classes.

• Archers are fine, they are now FINALLY good enough to put their foot in a clan war, which they did not back in chivalry, not without taking away the potentional melee fighter spot that could contribute a lot more.

• tbh, the headhitbox is way larger when hitting the front than side /back. Headshots on sideways moving targets is my nemesis atm :/