First linux ported unreal engine 3 game released!

• Ported by the guy who also ported unreal tournament 3 (UE3) to linux but was not allowed to release it. So maybe chiv has a chance for linux native!?!? joy!.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … px=MTI1ODE
    Dungeon Defenders @ http://www.humblebundle.com/

• @zoktar:

Ported by the guy who also ported unreal tournament 3 (UE3) to linux but was not allowed to release it. So maybe chiv has a chance for linux native!?!? joy!.

Same story as Mac, has to be enough people willing to buy it to justify the cost of porting and supporting it on Linux. I’d love to see it on Linux, although I’d still play on Windows for now.

• @ReMixx:

@zoktar:

Ported by the guy who also ported unreal tournament 3 (UE3) to linux but was not allowed to release it. So maybe chiv has a chance for linux native!?!? joy!.

Same story as Mac, has to be enough people willing to buy it to justify the cost of porting and supporting it on Linux. I’d love to see it on Linux, although I’d still play on Windows for now.

Yeah i play it on windows aswell, but this should indicate that the engine has some linux exporting capabilitys, or that he just did that by himself. Hopefully this is a preview of an linux export functionality. If it has the export functionality the porting is not really a concern, atleast in forms of cost for developers. And now would be a great time for it, at-least in a sales point of view. As the steam games pile up for linux, so do the bad ones, and people buy them, just cause. A good title like chivalry would kill on it.

• @zoktar:

If it has the export functionality the porting is not really a concern, atleast in forms of cost for developers.

I don’t know enough about if porting is just selecting a different checkbox in the Frontend exporter or not. Somehow I doubt that it would be THAT easy. I would think work would need to be done to modify some of the DirectX calls. Also, there are bugs like where turning of Depth of Field completely disables all post-processing. That sounds like a DirectX-specific thing. Who knows what would happen in OpenGL?

@zoktar:

And now would be a great time for it, at-least in a sales point of view.

I disagree with you there. I think after the Steam box releases and Steam on Linux catches on would be the appropriate time sales-wise. This is mainly for the cost of supporting the game in its released state and for all updates because of the super small team and the fact that they didn’t write the really big game engine themselves (Valve/Serious Sam). Harder to debug things when you don’t know it inside and out :)

Anyways, that’s just my opinion. I’d love to be able to ditch Windows for good. Once we get all new released AAA games going on Linux, then we just need the professional applications (Adobe, Autodesk, etc.) to follow suit and then I’ll be mostly ready to switch permanently! :D

• Just to chip in, big M&B fan here playing it on Ubuntu with a 560gtx via Crossover. Haven’t gotten Chivalry yet because of its poor rating no it (link) atm.

Get in touch with Ryan Gordon, the man who did the port (link) - I think he’s quite approachable and a bit of discussion will clear up what exactly has to be done and what’ll it take.

• Would also like to see the game on Linux. I’m completely on Linux now, and with Steam for Linux there should be more and more of a market for Linux gaming.

Hopefully we hear news about that from the developers soon

• Running GNU/Linux on my computer is the only reason why I haven’t buy this game yet.

• It’s a matter of resources.

Small dev team = not a lot of resources (manpower or money). It could happen one day.

• More people have macs. And the new ones can have a 680.

• Do it…. I will buy the game if it is ported… This game is sweet. Just like Savage… which is also amazing.

port it to linux. You will get paid.

Linux Mint is literally 2 versions away from being perfect…

It is incredibly reliable at this point with hardware 4 years old at most. That is a good thing… I have an nvidia 450 in my Tower which is considered classic at this point… It runs all games. Steam in wine runs chivalry… just with a much lower fps then normal… with the Nvidia 450 in windows this game runs with full graphics settings… In Wine currently, it runs with a much lower frame rate than general…

Wine 1.5(at this point) is not up to snuff for FPS.

• such a shame more games don’t release in Lunix

Games are the only reason I still use windows, I feel like we really just need a few big games to come out with Linux support and the lunix community will explode in popularity. It’s such an awesome OS, look at mint! looks great, super reliable and secure, easy to get and install lots of amazing open source software. Runs well on much older hardware with really impressive hardware support and does not force you to upgrade like windows does and it’s fricken FREE

imagine if all major games released for Linux? A HUGE amount of gamers would move to linux. I bet Steam/Valve3 would do a distro of linux for running steam as would many others. Google, Mozilla & co. would have distributions. And we would be free from microsofts bullcrap!

Another thing, PC’s should NOT come with windows installed and included in the price! They should be sold as hardware and then you have the option of buying and installing windows or getting linux for free or even some other OS like OSX or android (which is linux anyway). Biggest bull crap scam in history is windows pre-installed.

• @byzan
    Just wanna say MAC OSX is not Linux based it is Unix based. But I totally agree with you on the pre installed Windows. I always try to buy pc’s/laptop’s without Windows.

@topic
    It would be nice to have a native Linux client, I would buy the game =)
    I am using Linux only for gaming ;)

• Please oh please! I will buy Linux version and cry tears of joy ^^

• @Vissy:

Do it…. I will buy the game if it is ported…

So you are following the forum without having bought the game, just waiting for a port… right…

• It’s always worth the effort to support linux. We crave for games! We have money! Let’s find some kind of arrangement ;)

Though we are scattered, we are many.

I bought this game 3 times… I’ll buy it again.

• I dare you to kickstart a linux native client & server. See how fast that it reaches completion

A bonus for translating your directx to opengl (wich should be the bulk of the work) is a native mac port is basically free with the ride. Tho i see mac is supported by the engine so im not quite sure why no mac port was made.

Anyway valve might be able to help with the directx stuff, not sure how that would communicate between epic and valve, worth investigating atleast. And if you have done so already what is the major hurldle specific to the engine that limits you currently to windows only?.