Improve the Bots for Offline play

• I say Improve the Bots for Offline play, please.

I would like to see them smarter, participate in team objectives and just generally more challenging. I know that Chivalry is meant to be multiplayer and a great one it is, so great that it is the first multiplayer I have played in a long while. Chivalry brought me back, because it really appealed to me that much!

But that does not mean that I still don’t dislike public multiplayer games in general. There are still the obnoxious twats you encounter every time you play and like any other game, it is only a matter of time before people start hacking the game to bits and cheating.

What really got me excited as a Battlefield 2 (Sorry to mention another game) player a while back, was when someone created a bot mod that enabled them to run around on all of the big maps. It meant that I could put all of the idiots behind me and play the game the way it was meant to be played, because sadly, unlike most of the human players out there, the bots actually knew how to play the game properly! Not saying that is the case with Chivalry… yet… But I’m sure you get the idea. Not saying that all people online are like that of course. Quite a majority of them are excellent to play with. I just know that I can’t rely on that all of the time.

The other issue is that currently for the past few days, I haven’t been able to get online with this game, anyway. No servers are showing up in my list and all of the fixes don’t work, though I haven’t tried the beta sign up. So the bots are all I have at present. :-(

Awesome job on this game, guys. Hopefully one day I can be part of a team that makes a game this cool.

• Unfortunately there’s only ~2 programmers on the team and fixing bugs has a greater priority than improving the AI of bots (especially if AI isn’t their specialty?). AI done right is a tough cookie.

For not being able to play online, have you tried the links to automagically connect to the Official Servers found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7082

• Thanks for your reply! That server page seems to work so far. :-)

• @Shockwolf:

Thanks for your reply! That server page seems to work so far. :-)

You’re welcome! Glad that you can at least play while we try to figure out the server browser thing!

• While bugfix and content are good to take priority it would be nice to have a few specific fixes
    Generally objective based, as there are some objectives where both sides will simply ‘quit’ with only a rare few brave enough to even come out of spawn yet still do not touch objectives

Archers also have a tendency to decide if they want to miss or shoot in the face regardless of their physical position or the direction their facing :3

• The best thing would be to be able to create a server with 64 bots and invite friends so you can play coop.

• I’d love it if they fixed this, too, as I do occasionally practice on the bots. They’re also a good way - or should be - for new players to get accustomed to team objective scenarios and maps in general before getting serious in public play.

People complain left and right about “noobs” and archers with bad aim, but either they practice online in an actual match, or they practice with the bots - and the bots are messed up.

However, I totally get that bug fixes and new content come first. I hope they find the time, but I don’t really expect them to.

• Its good to see people agree with me on this.

And as for hacking, I’m beginning to notice some players are already at it.
    One player admitted to me that he raises his ping on purpose because it gives him an advantage when he times out on the players with lower ping.

Last night a player with no name just “-”, his ping was above 200, he was playing a knight and moving and hacking rapidly, faster than a Man at arms. There was no cool down with his super fast slashes. He just kept swinging and swinging really fast, none stop. When I mentioned it, other players defended him with bs reasons and voted me off the server.

This is a fine example of what I was talking about and why I would prefer to see the bots improved. I appreciate you’ve got to do, what you’ve got to do, but it will always be number 1 on my wish list.

Cheers.

• I think the bots are good enough for new players to practice on at least, and I think that’s their most important purpose. Anything further will hardly be a priority compared to fixing things and implementing new content.

• There is Offline play with bots ???

Do you need a local server for that or is it part of the client - I had NO idea and would like to practice with inferior opponents to practice.

• @gregcau:

There is Offline play with bots ???

Do you need a local server for that or is it part of the client - I had NO idea and would like to practice with inferior opponents to practice.

Click “Create Game” at the main menu. It creates an offline game where you can add any number of bots.

• @ReMixx:

@gregcau:

There is Offline play with bots ???

Click “Create Game” at the main menu. It creates an offline game where you can add any number of bots.

lol for some reason I assumed create game was for multiplayer.

Great for training, I would not improve their AI.

• That’s right, gregcau.

Just launch your game normally, but when you get to the menu select “Create Game”. Its offline only as far as I can gather and you can choose your map, game type and how many bots. (Edit) Damn I was beaten to it! lol

Only problem is the Team Objective choice, because the bots are clueless. In fact that is the biggest problem with the bots and even if you select any other game type, eventually you will end up with a team objective map loading up, anyway. This means you are forced to wait until the time runs out or quit the game and start again, because the bots just hang around doing nothing or fighting and not completing the objective.

A question to the devs: Would it not be a simple ask to prevent the Objective maps from loading up in the cycle when not chosen in the first place? So for example if a player chooses team deathmatch or free for all, the game stays that way on every map instead of it automatically cycling to the team objective maps?

Cheers.

• So I tried this.

OMG so freaking fun and funny.

Am I bad if a bot kicks my ass?

• I’d like to see the bots AI improved; some just sit in the spawn area and cower when the enemy comes near, others appear “stuck” in the area, especially when it comes to spawn areas that are fairly small (Team Objective map Hillside for example) until you physically kick them out or kill them. They don’t follow your orders either when you press Z and want them to do something and I’d also like to see them be able to help you on objective-based maps. They actually don’t when it comes to buring things, moving things, etc.

• I’d be happy if they just fixed bots getting stuck problems / make them attracted to the objectives. Bot play on some maps is simply flat out broken. The AI doesn’t have to get better it should just be not-totally-broken, which falls under the heading of fixing bugs to my mind.