Kickstarter - Clang another AOC competition.

• Well I ran across this, thought you guys might be interested. If you watch one of the videos they emulate Chivalry’s new swing trace in real life with LEDs on an actual blade. The game idea is interesting being able to choose a shit ton of weapons and armor but I doubt they have much of a story line as it seems more like arena style combat. It also looks like they are developing it for xbox motion play but who knows. Enjoy…

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

BTW you guys might want to look into kickstart.com

• These guys have chosen to do a REALLY hardcore version of what the devs of chivalry is doing.

I salute them for that, but at the same time think that games should be fun rather then boring old real life.

We’ll see, i will definitely donate to those guys because i like the kickstarter projects.

• sounds interesting, though i don’t think i would want to play a game using what is essentially a wii-mote, it seems odd that they would choose to develop a game using that type of control system. Also it sounds like they’re going to be developing mostly a story based single player game and leave it to the community to flesh out a balanced multiplayer game and i don’t see that happening with such a realistic game :P

• Developer

Seems a bit like really enthusiastic medieval fans that know nothing about video games trying to make a video game. Interesting take though I think they might get something that true enthusiasts could enjoy.

• Saw it as well, and I’m interested how it will turn out :). Not sure their uncompromising realism approach will work, but there’s no way of knowing without trying. Even if the game turns out to be dull, I can only applaud experimentation.

I’m not too concerned about the lead designer’s lack of experience in video games. They’ll be making an arena game with support for a single weapon, the longsword, so complex level design, pacing or weapon balancing doesn’t come into play. The only thing that’s really complex to design is the combat system, which is so unorthodox that no one actually has any experience with it. As long as he’s got competent professionals to do the programming, I don’t think the designer’s lack of experience will necessarily be a problem.

• If they implement unscripted player-player interaction i will donate all my money to them

• @Vox:

sounds interesting, though i don’t think i would want to play a game using what is essentially a wii-mote, it seems odd that they would choose to develop a game using that type of control system. Also it sounds like they’re going to be developing mostly a story based single player game and leave it to the community to flesh out a balanced multiplayer game and i don’t see that happening with such a realistic game :P

Actually they’ve stated that the first public releases of the game will be Multiplayer only.
    The most likely currently existing motion controller they’re aiming for is the Razer Hydra, but a Mouse & Keyboard interface will be available (but using it would be missing the point, apparently)

@TheNarrator:

… I’m not too concerned about the lead designer’s lack of experience in video games. They’ll be making an arena game with support for a single weapon, the longsword, so complex level design, pacing or weapon balancing doesn’t come into play…

What the Lead Designer wants is the same level of customization found in modern shooters, where there is a plethora of weapons and weapon attachments, in CLANG this customization would be different combat styles and swords, so they’re planning a toolkit to create other styles (sword & shield etc.)

Anyways, I’m pretty pumped for both this and Chivalry, Clang for the more realistic swordfighting experience, Chivalry for the more Hollywood-style.

• @Dussan:

These guys have chosen to do a REALLY hardcore version of what the devs of chivalry is doing.

I salute them for that, but at the same time think that games should be fun rather then boring old real life.

I’m going to have to disagree with you there. As an enthusiast of swords and swordsmanship, I feel that the legitimate martial arts are much more fun than anything which has ever been present in a game, that’s just my opinion. There is nothing boring about it at all if you possess a knowledge of the art, and I’ve only fantasized about a game like CLANG for years, never thinking that anybody besides me would want such a thing to exist.

That being said, I don’t think that Chiv is an inferior concept, it’s just a different type of game. CLANG goes for hyper realism, and Chivalry doesn’t need to. I think that the games would appeal to slightly different markets despite the similar themes.

• Developer

How are they gonna handle leg movement? Critical part of sword fighting, I’m assuming through some sort of kinnect type system, but that isn’t very accurate from my experience. I wish them luck though! Seems like they already have alot of money, making a video like that is crazy expensive, 6 figures easily.

• @sir_loin:

How are they gonna handle leg movement? Critical part of sword fighting, I’m assuming through some sort of kinnect type system, but that isn’t very accurate from my experience. I wish them luck though! Seems like they already have alot of money, making a video like that is crazy expensive, 6 figures easily.

The game is going to utilize a third-party motion controller. One that they specifically picked because it was the fastest and most accurate. There are not going to be any cameras involved, that would be silly. Your character in the game will assume the appropriate stance based on the way you are holding your controller.

• While I love the idea of Clang, they are really going to need to be innovative in how they go about making it a functional system.

The only ways I can see something like this working is perhaps at one of those large city arcade’s. I think that 2 small motion capture booths would need to be set up, which would cost a heap.
    Kinect’s just don’t cut it, nor do Wii’s or the playstation move or whatever it is.

Or a home motion capture system, using multiple cameras and set up just like a motion capture studio, at a far lower cost.

Some indi devs are actually using DIY motion capture using the Kinect or playstation eyecams however, and the motion capture is quite accurate.

Look at this for example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo4bz4ucCM4

And this for a realtime UDK example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i59Bo4bmfOc

However look at the amount of space and hardware required.

They would pretty much need to release the game in the same fashion as say…guitar hero, or rockband. With a pack containing all the necessary hardware at a much higher price than your average game.

• @Otreum:

While I love the idea of Clang, they are really going to need to be innovative in how they go about making it a functional system.

The only ways I can see something like this working is perhaps at one of those large city arcade’s. I think that 2 small motion capture booths would need to be set up, which would cost a heap.
    Kinect’s just don’t cut it, nor do Wii’s or the playstation move or whatever it is.

Or a home motion capture system, using multiple cameras and set up just like a motion capture studio, at a far lower cost.

Some indi devs are actually using DIY motion capture using the Kinect or playstation eyecams however, and the motion capture is quite accurate.

As I said, there will be no cameras involved in this game. All you need is a motion controller which represents the sword, the game can handle the rest.

Seriously, the concept is not terribly easy to understand at first without a lot of explanation, so check out the updates that they made on their kickstarter page for a lot of videos which help to illustrate how the game works.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260 … lang/posts

• @HamsterPants:

@Otreum:

While I love the idea of Clang, they are really going to need to be innovative in how they go about making it a functional system.

As I said, there will be no cameras involved in this game. All you need is a motion controller which represents the sword, the game can handle the rest.

Seriously, the concept is not terribly easy to understand at first without a lot of explanation, so check out the updates that they made on their kickstarter page for a lot of videos which help to illustrate how the game works.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260 … lang/posts

So tell me how does their system recognise body and foot movements without some sort of motion capture system like the Kinect? Currently, what they have presented is a form of hand sensor like the wiimote.

I understand the concept of their fighting system. But I haven’t seen anything solid in their execution.
    So far, from what i’ve seen, they don’t want buttons, they don’t want a “controller”, there is a wiimote type system they want to make, which will only control the hand movement, but how will the player control their body movement, their foot movement etc?
    The only way is for them to either use the Kinect, which really needs more refinement, or to use a motion capture system capturing the movement of the entire body.

I am all in favour of what they are doing, I would love to be able to have 1 on 1 duels in my living room and have a game capture every movement i’m doing without being all spazzo and erratic like current motion type games and hardware, but with the current hardware out there, I just cannot see their goal being realised without creating new hardware, setting up the game in arcade booths like I mentioned earlier, or selling the game with a box containing a bunch of motion capture items to set up motion capture in the living room.

• @Otreum:

So tell me how does their system recognise body and foot movements without some sort of motion capture system like the Kinect? Currently, what they have presented is a form of hand sensor like the wiimote.

I understand the concept of their fighting system. But I haven’t seen anything solid in their execution.
    So far, from what i’ve seen, they don’t want buttons, they don’t want a “controller”, there is a wiimote type system they want to make, which will only control the hand movement, but how will the player control their body movement, their foot movement etc?
    The only way is for them to either use the Kinect, which really needs more refinement, or to use a motion capture system capturing the movement of the entire body.

I am all in favour of what they are doing, I would love to be able to have 1 on 1 duels in my living room and have a game capture every movement i’m doing without being all spazzo and erratic like current motion type games and hardware, but with the current hardware out there, I just cannot see their goal being realised without creating new hardware, setting up the game in arcade booths like I mentioned earlier, or selling the game with a box containing a bunch of motion capture items to set up motion capture in the living room.

There is no point at which Neal mentions controlling character movement, presumably because that’s not a factor in this game. I would assume that it is strictly about the martial arts themselves, the placement of the characters would be locked or dependent on the moves which are used. It’s not a game in which you run around like Chivalry is.

You simply hold the controller whilst assuming a real sword stance, the game will read the way the controller is being held and translate it into the game, then you can proceed to attack or intercept attacks from the stance that you are in, just like in real sword fighting.

• hmmmm, seems like it would be rather static then, but still workable (I’d still play it :P)

Perhaps the back and forward movements will pretty much be controlled by how defensive or offensive you are. As in the more you attack, the more you step or shuffle forward, the more the opponent steps back or shuffles back when defending.

I wouldn’t want to be running around, as I think that would be silly, but to be able to use my legs for things such as kicks would be handy.

• @Otreum:

hmmmm, seems like it would be rather static then, but still workable (I’d still play it :P)

Perhaps the back and forward movements will pretty much be controlled by how defensive or offensive you are. As in the more you attack, the more you step or shuffle forward, the more the opponent steps back or shuffles back when defending.

I wouldn’t want to be running around, as I think that would be silly, but to be able to use my legs for things such as kicks would be handy.

You’ll be capable of controlling the movement with the thumbsticks on the motion-control device they’re currently planning to integrate the game around (probably the Razer Hydra)
    Or probably with the keyboard, as the game will also be playable using a Mouse & Keyboard setup (but well, missing the point and all)

But I agree, more body control would be nice but it seems like they’re trying to recreate the combat from the comfort of your own chair at home.

• @Thelonius:

You’ll be capable of controlling the movement with the thumbsticks on the motion-control device they’re currently planning to integrate the game around

I actually didn’t know that… Pardon my misinformation earlier.

• Honestly, I’m rather excited for BOTH of these games. I think they’re both much different animals.