Parry Arrows

• Personally, I’m not a big fan of the fact that your only defense against arrow fire is a shield (if your class has one) and erratic movement, especially since movement options are pretty limited in terms of dodging arrows (i.e. run left or run right. Crouch halts your momentum, jumping has very little height and air control, can’t crouch while jumping). Additionally, most maps are designed for open warfare, and running speed on characters are not that fast, so combined this makes it difficult to use any form of cover when approaching an archer.

What are people’s thoughts on having a strict timing and accuracy window to parry arrows (more strict than weapon parries obviously)?

EDIT: I should clarify that I think archers are pretty neutered in terms of options themselves (slow firing rate, no chance to kite, projectiles tough to aim), and I would not mind seeing them get better in some aspect. I’m just arguing for the lack of defensive options against arrows and projectiles.

• Nigh impossible to do in real life (with a real longbow shooting arrows at maximum speed), and would also nerf archers even more, and make the shield more obsolete. For these reasons I vote no, but it’s a cool idea.

What about parrying throwing axes and knives? You could feel as cool as this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJf8puSIXTg at 0.39 (which by the way, was by accident. The actor playing Lurtz was supposed to throw the knive past Viggo, but missed and threw it straight at him, only for Viggo to parry it away in real life, because he has a 12" you know what)

• Parrying an arrow with a weapon?
    No thanks, right now dodging or blocking an incoming arrow is easy enough.

• How would the archer class even be a viable class with this option? First thing i’d do with this option is running like a crazy fucktard to go and chase every archer in the game.

If i play as a MAA, how can they possibly get me when i go after them? I’m faster, the chase mechanic works in my favor, i deal more damage with my weapons, i can dodge their shots AND i can parry their arrows. Archers would just become MAA fodder.

And what if a knight comes after them? No man, sorry, but just no.

• zig zag more faggot.

• Parrying throwing weapons would be cool though.

• Speaking as someone who plays archer a lot, it would actually be kinda awesome if an arrow got embedded in the shaft of a halberd or something, every once in a blue moon. But mechanically, and realistically, the idea won’t fly.

• @Boris:

zig zag more faggot.

Boris, that was uncalled for. Please don’t do it again. Kthx.

• Re: Parry Arrows

Post by Kimiko » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:43 am

Boris wrote:zig zag more faggot.

Boris, that was uncalled for. Please don’t do it again. Kthx.

well done Kimiko ! swiftly done and nicely played hehe.
    I completed Doom years ago and swiftly dealt with that creature =p

• @Leojin:

Personally, I’m not a big fan of the fact that your only defense against arrow fire is a shield (if your class has one) and erratic movement, especially since movement options are pretty limited in terms of dodging arrows (i.e. run left or run right. Crouch halts your momentum, jumping has very little height and air control, can’t crouch while jumping). Additionally, most maps are designed for open warfare, and running speed on characters are not that fast, so combined this makes it difficult to use any form of cover when approaching an archer.

What are people’s thoughts on having a strict timing and accuracy window to parry arrows (more strict than weapon parries obviously)?

EDIT: I should clarify that I think archers are pretty neutered in terms of options themselves (slow firing rate, no chance to kite, projectiles tough to aim), and I would not mind seeing them get better in some aspect. I’m just arguing for the lack of defensive options against arrows and projectiles.

Oh geez.

Let´s make a funny test ok?
    I´ll get my Longbow (only 55lbs instead of ~100lbs) and shoot some broadheads at you on a field. Now try to dodge them by jumping or strafing. Of course, you will have to wear heavy leather gear, a gambeson, a helmet etc.

To make things lolz, Ill hand you my cheap made in China Katana (because I dont want my Japanese-made one touch the dirty ground - or your hands) and allow you to strike me down and play football with my head, I promise!

After this field test, I will ask you about your brilliant idea of deflecting arrows, and try to understand the gargling noises that come out of your blood-dwelling throat…

• arrow parrying with a weapon is near impossible…of course maybe not totally with massive weapons like a double axe but it would still depend on circumstances and distance because its uber slow (and dont expect to deflect the next, just saying). That said, I think it would be really fun to see weapons have an effect on arrows if they “accidentally” hit the weapon. It could result in an arrow “parry” or deflection rather. The arrow would deal no damage, but the weapon guy would be staggered out of the impact and suprise (and that even if the guy was “actively” trying to parry the arrow). In any cases I think parrying an arrow with a plain blade is ridiculous…so if they were to implement deflection, they would have to make it realistic, its not because the arrow hit your weapon near your upper body that it wont deflect right into your neck or on the guy behind you by example. Perhaps a deflected projectile could deal half damage if it hits anything?