What is that uberspeed parry-attack thing?

• A few players lately seem to have the ability to follow up a successful parry with an ultra fast follow up attack that is far faster than normal.

Some of them seem impossible to actually parry back, even guys using 2h weapons seem to be able to it real fast.

I’ve tried attacking immediately after parry and I think it is slightly faster, but not enough so they can’t parry it. Is there some known trick to this much faster version?

• I’ve been getting this too lately. Random players would parry my attack with a 2 handed sword and near instantaneously LMB after the parry Cling sound. Quite annoying if you ask me.

• There’s no attack that can’t be parried as long as you hit the parry button as soon as you see them start their counterattack animation.

• @SlyGoat:

There’s no attack that can’t be parried as long as you hit the parry button as soon as you see them start their counterattack animation.

This is true. But how are you going to block if you cant see the windup animation?

Animation in this game sucks

• @boomandvibe:

@SlyGoat:

There’s no attack that can’t be parried as long as you hit the parry button as soon as you see them start their counterattack animation.

This is true. But how are you going to block if you cant see the windup animation?

Animation in this game sucks

If you think these animations suck, you should’ve seen it in Age of Chivalry. Now those were glitchy as hell.

• I’ve seen the same thing, vanguards with a bardishe parry and attack in milliseconds. I seen them recover from being parried and get a second swing off before my parry became available again.

• Unfortunately this is one thing we have no stats on. I don’t know how much counter attacks are sped up by, and I don’t even recall why they are sped up if all counter attacks are truly blockable anyway.

• @SlyGoat:

This is true. Stabs can be very quick, though, so you need to watch out.

• When you parry and attack right after, I notice varying degrees of speed boost. Sometimes it’s even faster than normal, call it a super perfect parry counter attack. It’s all about timing it. I don’t know the mechanics exactly, I only know how to do it with a bit of luck.

@Martin:

Unfortunately this is one thing we have no stats on. I don’t know how much counter attacks are sped up by, and I don’t even recall why they are sped up if all counter attacks are truly blockable anyway.

Because you have to parry so quickly after, against a good player who is able to properly parry your fastest parry counters, you can simply wait a split second and then attack after amid the flurry of blows.

A sort of feint without feinting. Inaction being the feint.

• @UnknownXV:

Because you have to parry so quickly after, against a good player who is able to properly parry your fastest parry counters, you can simply wait a split second and then attack after amid the flurry of blows.

A sort of feint without feinting. Inaction being the feint.

No! You’re teaching them my tricks!!

• Yes speed, I will train an army that will crush you!

• Dem instant-looking down overheads counter attacks makes me sad.

• I have been using this attack myself.
    After I block I quickly do a stab.
    My stab is sometimes so fast that my opponnent cannot block it I think (not sure if it works with swings and overheads)
    I don’t know if this is a intended feature or a bug.

• @Zok:

I have been using this attack myself.
    After I block I quickly do a stab.
    My stab is sometimes so fast that my opponnent cannot block it I think (not sure if it works with swings and overheads)
    I don’t know if this is a intended feature or a bug.

I do this everytime after a parry since i noticed the stab was way faster than other attacks in this situation, it doesn’t work against -more- skilled fighters tho as they succeed to parry it.

I’ve fought people tho (1 or 2 people), who were doing it at such a speed i couldnt block it, and i’m t alking about 8-10 duels in a row, that was really weird.

An IRL friend of mine i play with, which is used to my parry/stab noticed the same thing with these same guys.

• The tradeoff for the sped up counterattack is actually pretty hefty against better players - counterattacks cannot be feinted. This IMO is one of the biggest factors making shields superior, because not only do you get practical immunity to enemy feints, you can counterattack very quickly after a block thanks to ignoring shield drop time, and feint your counters.

• I’ve noticed this, and I might have just been imagining it, but if I parry and quick swing, I seem to do a different animation than the typical one. It seemed like a weaker-looking swing so perhaps reduced dmg would be a nice way to balance this?

• @SlyGoat:

The tradeoff for the sped up counterattack is actually pretty hefty against better players - counterattacks cannot be feinted. This IMO is one of the biggest factors making shields superior, because not only do you get practical immunity to enemy feints, you can counterattack very quickly after a block thanks to ignoring shield drop time, and feint your counters.

This, don’t get too used to counterattacks because you’ll find yourself in a situation where your counterattacks get parried in a back and forth clinging of swords, but you’re unable to stop the attack to emergency parry or feint someone.

This actually only works on new players.

• @Boris:

@SlyGoat:

The tradeoff for the sped up counterattack is actually pretty hefty against better players - counterattacks cannot be feinted. This IMO is one of the biggest factors making shields superior, because not only do you get practical immunity to enemy feints, you can counterattack very quickly after a block thanks to ignoring shield drop time, and feint your counters.

This, don’t get too used to counterattacks because you’ll find yourself in a situation where your counterattacks get parried in a back and forth clinging of swords, but you’re unable to stop the attack to emergency parry or feint someone.

This actually only works on new players.

Hardly. In a tradeoff like this, it’s very rare someone never makes a mistake. And if I am fighting someone that good, I’ll just pause my chain for a second and get a hit in like that. Using footwork and other techniques like overhead jumps or stabbing feet, delayed swings, stabbing around the parry, etc…

All valid; but by far the most fun is attacking back fast and being attacked fast and having to react in kind.

• Keep your distance, that’s the best tip.

The reason a two-handed attack can kill you so quickly after a parry is usually because you are standing way too close. Even if the windup time is small, as long as you keep your distance you should still be able to see the actual thrust/strike coming and parry it before hitting you.

Let’s say that a weapon’s thrust wind-up time (usually the fastest) from parry is 0.3 seconds, and the thrust takes 0.5 seconds to complete. If you are standing at maximum range, then it will take 0.8 seconds for the attack to hit you. However, if you are hugging the guy’s face, then as soon as the thrust starts you will get hit, regardless of the 0.5 seconds left on the animation.

The same can be said for swings, but rather than hugging the enemy’s front, you may have to be standing very close at the left of the enemy to be “nearly instantly” hit by a swing after parry.

• “Keep your distance” kinda translates into “maybe don’t play a MAA” though, doesn’t it?