Shield Bashing

• I was thinking if some sort of shield bashing, given that the player’s shield is large enough, could be implemented into the game, where it would break off your enemy’s guard and leave them stunned for a short while. This could be balanced by, for example, if your enemy has enough armor he wont suffer such stun, or if he’s blocking with a shield that’s at least of the same size of the attacker.

• I believe the kick action will take care of the guard crush of which you speak of. As for the varied effectiveness based on armor and what not, that also may be implemented into the kick future as well (I don’t know for sure but we shall see, no?)

I think I see what your saying though, kind of like in Pirates Vikings and Knights? Assuming you’ve played that, they have a functional shield bash system for the most part.

• Well, actually, I took that idead most off of the game Dark Souls. It has a very balanced and functional shield bashing system, where you deal a very small amount of damage, but having a possibility to crush enemies’ guards, depending on their stats, (since Dark Souls is an RPG game) and if you hit your enemy with it while he’s off guard, you end up heavily staggering him.
    If Chivlary is gonna have a kick ability, a shield bash could also be implemented, like, for example, kick could push enemies for some meters if they are catched off guard, but has no effect on enemies hiding behind a shield. However a shield bash would possibly break an enemy’s guard, but not push them, and rather damage them just a little if they are catched off guard. For it not to become overpowered, the developers could make it so that the basher wouldn’t, in many cases, be able to hit his enemy after the bash, but an incoming teammate on the other hand could find an opening and hit this enemy, generating some sort of epic hollywood-action-movie-stylish cooperation. :D Sounds cool huh? ;) .

• As shield basing is important part of the medieval combat (usually underestimated) I am totally for it .
    As for balance would be interesting instead of just get stunned unable to do nothing, to let player keep controls but add some visual and sound effects, slow him down and deal damage which differs on players armor (for example everything divides in players eyes and he hears only some kind of noise, bout damage , archers will suffer some damage when knights will get just a bit). That would differ shield bash from kickin’.
    Also would be enjoyable multi directional bashes which differ by speed\time of confusion\range and ofcourse direction (for example you hold your block button and press 1st/2nd/3rd attacks, 1st for just bashing with plain side of a shield straight (the most balanced bash), 2nd is for bashing with edge of the shield, smth like fast jab with shield(the most confusing and fast but the shortest range) , 3rd is for bashing with a plain side of a shield from above (most range, less speed/confusion)). As already told all bashes must be blockable (with shield or even in some circumstances with weapon like parrying in a meaning of balance for knights and vangs with 2h weapons).

• That’s what I’m talking about.

• Developer

Shield bashing is possible in Chivalry- it acts just like a kick but with a shield and the added benefit of not having to expose yourself to attack. Very useful for archers who are trying to “shotgun” by shooting you upclose at the last minute.

• That’s awesome! !!!

• It sure is! :P

• @Tibberius:

Shield bashing is possible in Chivalry- it acts just like a kick but with a shield and the added benefit of not having to expose yourself to attack. Very useful for archers who are trying to “shotgun” by shooting you upclose at the last minute.

I can’t count the times I’ve raged in Warband due to this “shotgun” technique.
    <3 shieldbash

• Developer

Its a railgun. Hate to split hairs but arrows and bolts are a fixed point, not like a completely garaunteed hit. But yeah bring a shield to an archer battle! ;)

• I think lancebringer made that point (or not him, but in another post) - that arrow shoot point blank has not enough kinetic energy to make a harm to armored man. Moreover, its flight path straightens after about 20 - 30 m, until then it is somewhat “shaking”, making it less effective.

• @Tibberius:

So until you are bashing with the shield you shall still be protected with it ?

Clarification needed .

I guess , you are talking only for the hand resposible for the shield movement (if someone is not attcking from below ) , maybe just upper arm or just the shoulder remains unprotected .
    Still such shield attack can expose you for archers at the desribed distance above (in the Quote) , if archers move don’t have movement penalty for pulling / ready their projectile range weapon , movement penalty like in Age of Chivalry , maybe is early to ask now about now for such things(like will there be penelty for archers) to be informed about .

Or maybe shield bashing like punching using the shield like a brass knuckle . Very uncommon & don’t sounds very fair .

PS. And last but not least kicks must have much better prediction than in the last video (the PAX video) .

• Kiteshields are massive things made of steel and wood.

Being smashed in the face with one would probably be the equivalent of running somewhat fast and then smashing your face into a brick wall.

Do want!

• Maybe you could take off your shield and throw it like a frisbee?? lol or maybe not. ;) great idea.

• WANK! i pissed my pants rotfling :j:

• I want to dual-wield shields and kill people by bashing them.

BEWARE THE STUNNING TURTLE, IT HAS A FEROCIOUS DEMEANOR.

• @King:

HAHAHA! King your the man! :D

• Shield bashing is in incredible combat mechanic, speaking from personal experience in the heavy armor combat I do in the SCA.