Chambering Attacks

• With the addition of directional attack I would like to see chambering attacks as demonstrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHcZjWw9U (part about chambering starts at 2:08).

Ofcourse it shouldn’t be EXACTLY the same but there should be something like it.

• Have you even PLAYED the game? I watched the video, and Chivalry is basically the same…!

• @Hadron:

Have you even PLAYED the game? I watched the video, and Chivalry is basically the same…!

Ofcourse I have, probably more than you :)

Chambering an attack is not the same as parrying an attack. The difference lies in timing your attack so that it counters the attack of your opponent as shown in the video and its not as easy as it looks. This should add some variety to the combat system for those who are skilled to use it.

• Chambering in this game would be a bad idea. It would make “spam” even more viable, because if he keeps swinging he’s got a chance to block you, rather than the one for one that happens now.

Also I don’t think the chamber would be viable because of the combo mechanic, how would you chamber a left to right combo? What about the halberd overhead combo where he comes from below.

• I would say the speed bonus you get from attacking instantly after a parry is the equivalent if a riposte in Chivalry.

• @Sarpton:

Chambering in this game would be a bad idea. It would make “spam” even more viable, because if he keeps swinging he’s got a chance to block you, rather than the one for one that happens now.

If I spam parry I have a “chance” to parry someone, but that doesn’t make me parry every attack when I keep spamming. Infact it makes me easier to kill when I keep spamming a certain mechanic of the game. And it would very very hard to actualy chamber, as it is now you have 3 types of attacks. If someone randomly attacks they have a very very small chance to actually to get the timing right AND the attack type right.

@Sarpton:

Also I don’t think the chamber would be viable because of the combo mechanic, how would you chamber a left to right combo? What about the halberd overhead combo where he comes from below.

They are now testing controlled directional attacks in beta (see newspost and my post).

@PedroFromHell:

I would say the speed bonus you get from attacking instantly after a parry is the equivalent if a riposte in Chivalry.

I woudln’t say that, chambering isn’t implented yet so we’ll have to see if it even makes it into the game.

• @Sophax:

@Sarpton:

Chambering in this game would be a bad idea. It would make “spam” even more viable, because if he keeps swinging he’s got a chance to block you, rather than the one for one that happens now.

If I spam parry I have a “chance” to parry someone, but that doesn’t make me parry every attack when I keep spamming. Infact it makes me easier to kill when I keep spamming a certain mechanic of the game. And it would very very hard to actualy chamber, as it is now you have 3 types of attacks. If someone randomly attacks they have a very very small chance to actually to get the timing right AND the attack type right.

@Sarpton:

They are now testing controlled directional attacks in beta (see newspost and my post).

@PedroFromHell:

I would say the speed bonus you get from attacking instantly after a parry is the equivalent if a riposte in Chivalry.

I woudln’t say that, chambering isn’t implented yet so we’ll have to see if it even makes it into the game.

Parry, you can only parry.
    Chamber, you are attack with chance to parry when your hit connect with your opennent’s attack.

Yup, definite OP in a competitive game like Chivalry.
    Attack is attack, parry is parry, Not need for an mechanic that can do both of em.

• Due to the drastic difference in combat mechanics, I doubt chambering would work gracefully in Chivalry. Mount & Blade has a very clear-cut four directional system that can foster the chambering system; Chivalry does not.

The animation system would make this fairly unpredictable, I think. And I just can’t think of a good reason to add it besides “it was in Mount & Blade.”

• Parry, you can only parry.
    Chamber, you are attack with chance to parry when your hit connect with your opennent’s attack.

Yup, definite OP in a competitive game like Chivalry.
    Attack is attack, parry is parry, Not need for an mechanic that can do both of em.

This is why its a skillmove and would be very hard to master, and it is very easy to counter. For example you could just feint to force your opponent into a more defensive state where has no time to even try to chamber let alone predict which attack he is going to use. So I wouldn’t worry about it being OP, its nothing like the feint, a move that you can almost always pullof with certain weapons. So the risk of failing a chamber is far greater than the gain you get. The risk is that you get flinched and receive damage and the gain is actually only the surprise effect and maybe a sped up attack( a bit faster than the counter, to make it usefull but still blockable) or even a slight damage boost as a reward, you can only hope your opponent doesn’t react fast enough and you’ll land the hit.

Due to the drastic difference in combat mechanics, I doubt chambering would work gracefully in Chivalry. Mount & Blade has a very clear-cut four directional system that can foster the chambering system; Chivalry does not.

The animation system would make this fairly unpredictable,

There is not a “drastic” difference, the basics are the same, attack and parry. The way the combat mechanics express themselves are interely different ( game engine, values of each mechanic) and I don’t think these factors would prevent chambering from working into the game.

The animation system you mentioned wouldn’t prevent it from working either. The animations ARE clearly visible and allow enough time to actually time a chamber and woudln’t be random( this would be good solution for trading hits, the one who can time their hit can effectively neutralize the trading hits effect).

We can also allow for the slash coming from the left to be able to chamber the slash coming from the right aswel as the slash coming from the left a different animation ofcourse for each chamber. Same goes for overhead, even the overhead coming from below. I don’t see a game breaking problem with that.

And I just can’t think of a good reason to add it besides “it was in Mount & Blade.”

I will sum it up for you:

• Adds to the overal flavor of the game and allows more ways styles to
      be created and raises the skill bar without making the game too hard for new players.

• There is no reason to not add it.

• I thought about this thing myself while I was practicing my wooden sword one night, I really think it would be neat if well implemented.
    Wrote that in red because it would be very important not to make it a thing you can pull out by accident while you were just going for some mindless LMB spam.

• Chambering from MnB is the same as the flinching in Chiv.

Easier, but the same. Stopping an enemy from attacking while they wind up.

• @The:

it would be very important not to make it a thing you can pull out by accident while you were just going for some mindless LMB spam.

I wouldn’t worry about that, as I’ve stated it would be very unlikely that mindless spam will be a viable tactic to increase your chance to succesfully chamber an attack. I think it would even make it far less likely that you’ll chamber someone when you spam any attack.
    When someone is spamming LMB for example the only thing you need to do is to not spam LMB back to completely take his chance of a chamber away from him.

@Hulking:

Chambering from MnB is the same as the flinching in Chiv.

Easier, but the same. Stopping an enemy from attacking while they wind up.

A chamber and a flinch are entirely different.

A flinch in Chivalry is a mechanic that occurs when you hit an opponent who is in idle state or is in the windup of his/her attack. When you hit someone that is in one of those states you’ll make him/her unable to attack for a certain period of time.

A chamber in Chivalry would be a mechanic that occurs when you effectively time your attack to meet the attack of your opponent at a specific moment during the release of the attack of your opponent. If you succeed in timing your attack correctly you would be rewarded with the fact that your weapon continues its trajectory while the attack of your opponent gets pushed back. Your attack would also be bit faster( stillblockable for your opponent) and would have a slight damage increase to reward you for your skill and risk that you took of failing the chamber. The exact values should be tested ofcourse to ensure that they work properly and are balanced.

Both attacks are in release at that time so its not about windup.

• From what you explain here I get the feeling that if this was put into the game it would basically make kick ineffective since you could answer with a chamber attack that deals more damage than a kick does, (since its damage from your weapon) without effectively losing any time to block any possible counter-chamber like you do have when you kick someone.

So I am not in favor of this personally.
    I think that it will make the combat linear in a sense that footing will become less important than timing your buttons.

• @User:

From what you explain here I get the feeling that if this was put into the game it would basically make kick ineffective since you could answer with a chamber attack that deals more damage than a kick does, (since its damage from your weapon) without effectively losing any time to block any possible counter-chamber like you do have when you kick someone.

I don’t see how it would make the kick useless. I think you seem to forget that the kick is more than only a flinch mechanic. Kicks in their current state mostly work as a “reset button” for the flow of combat between you and your opponent, a distance creator and to finish opponents with very low health( which is quite effective since kick is unblockable). The flinch aspect of the mechanic is flawed, from my experience and many others’s, trying to kick to effectively flinch your opponent’s attack will either result in you getting flinched by his attack, kicking your opponent but still getting hit, succesfully kick your opponent and flinch his attack but not create any distance, a delayed kick which seems to happen quite alot when you are being comboed, your opponent standing on your leg when you’re kicking or, if you’re lucky, a kick which flinches your opponent and creates distance. This is a result due to their buggy, unresponsive nature. But all this one a side note.

My point is trying to prove to you that the kick won’t become useless if the chamber mechanic makes it into the game.

1. The kick furfills a different role in combat than a chamber, as mentioned above.
    2. The kick is MUCH easier to pull off and has a FAR greater gain/risk ratio( when the issues mentioned above are fixed) than a chamber( see previous posts for gain/risk of the chamber).

@User:

So I am not in favor of this personally.
    I think that it will make the combat linear in a sense that footing will become less important than timing your buttons.

Adding a chambering mechanic to the game won’t have a negative impact on the overal flexibility of the combat system.

It will ADD and EXPAND the combat system.

Let me first stress the fact that the chamber mechanic isn’t/shoudln’t be something that is easily mastered or that it IS a mechanic that you can use easily. I think you are underestimating how hard it is to use a chamber like you describe it. Its more than only a button timing game, there a whole other aspects you’ve completely ignored. I’ll sum it up in order of importance.

1. Mindwork
    2. Footwork
    3. Timing

When you add something like a chamber mechanic to Chivalry it will effectively give the player an extra tool. But that tool can only be used when the situation gives it a chance to be used.

For example chambers upclose would be very hard to use because of the fact that attacks are hard to see and even harder to predict when an opponent is upclose. This is means if a player is wants to use the chambers he/she has to create the right situation for it, meaning the players needs to use footwork and other game mechanics like the KICK for example to create distance between himself/herself and the opponent.

Same goes for a player that wants to prevent the opponent from using chambers, the players also needs to adapt his/her footwork and use other game mechanics to prevent the opponent from creating a situation where chambers would be a viable option to use.

So instead of making the game more lineair it would add to the overal variety of the game and would allow for more styles/techniques to be created while boosting other aspects of the game like, mindwork, footwork and timing.

I sincerely hope the devs are taking notice to this for it would be a great addition to an already great game.

• @Sophax:

@User:

… “reset button”… quite effective since kick is unblockable…

…My point is trying to prove to you that the kick won’t become useless if the chamber mechanic makes it into the game…

… kick is MUCH easier to pull off … has a FAR greater gain/risk ratio…

…isn’t/shoudln’t be something that is easily mastered…
    …it will effectively give the player an extra tool…

…viable option to use…

First of I do not agree with the kick being a reset button. Mainly considering the fact that the game right now focuses on a battlefield scenario. I think that while the kick is unblock-able it takes just the same amount of “training” you are suggesting a chamber should take to place it right and use it to a good effect, rather than sadly kicking at the air or at the middle of an enemy swing and thus absorb the damage from the unfinished animation. If you introduce a chamber no one will bother to kick since it takes that much effort to place it right for a very low damage rating than performing a chamber that will necessarily deal weapon damage and could very well kill someone. (Lets say, with the Knight 1h-hammer vs a MAA). Why would the knight try to kick then if they can do a chamber and finish off the MAA? And even then why would he bother chamber when hes surrounded by enemies and can just slash?

When you say kick is much easier to pull off I completely disagree with you. Unless that by pulling off, you mean just clicking F. See above if you haven’t already.

Now this is what mostly bothers me- you said It shouldn’t be something that is easily mastered and that sort of defeats the purpose of the game in my opinion, and would make an opening for what I like to call “knowledge vaulting” in which groups of players, like clans, master a certain type of fighting technique and don’t tell anyone else. Or experienced players getting this secret move that they don’t share. If it is supposed to be something that shouldn’t be easily mastered it means you would have to spend extensive time if you wanted to study how to use it proper, just for that. Which would mean you wont be playing the game, but will be looking for empty servers to fight your friend on. Which to me defeats the purpose of the game. - Then again you might have suggested this purely because you are a player who likes to duel one other player. I feel that while this might be a part of the game- seeing as there are duel servers and some people do go there- it is not the focus, and if chambers are supposed to be this difficult to master in order to effectively use them, then its a waste of time for a game like chivalry which is mostly focused around a multi-player scenario. Not a 1v1.

Later on you said “it will effectively give the player an extra tool.” - which I also massively disagree on. Because you earlier said that it is something that is supposed to be hard to master- which means that new players will have an even harder time familiarizing into the game than before when the experienced player can easily create a chamber and kill them.

So I still think this is a bad idea, even more than before now that you’ve expanded on it.
    I do not think that it is viable in any way, or would add to the game in any way more than what it is presently. I think that right now the only thing that is lacking is the fix on the flinching<->animation issue, which is counter-able in game by properly footing your distance from a two hander…

What I like most about chivalry is the fact that everyone can join up and have fun without having to spend too much time in learning to fine tune their game. I think that adding complex game mechanics will ruin that, and give the game an unnecessary steep learning curve.

• idk if youve ever played mount and blade, but putting the chamber system into this game wouldnt be possible without an overhaul of the combat system.

To chamber you must time your windup with your enemies windup, in corresponding directions (his right meets your left).

Chivalry doesnt not have a 4 way swinging system.

Flinching and chambering do serve the same purpose (to cancel an attack and strike with your own, though chambering can be parried), although chambering undoubtedly is harder.

Further more, chivalry makes use of its touted “real time attacks” which lets you delay or speed up attacks as you see fit. Putting a chambering mechanic in would dull the gameplay it has already setup and it built around.

In closing

want to play MnB?
    play MnB

• First of I do not agree with the kick being a reset button. Mainly considering the fact that the game right now focuses on a battlefield scenario.

I didn’t say it was ONLY a reset button, I said it was one of the functions of the kick. In a battlefield scenario the kick would be used to kick multiple opponents to create distance or to kick one opponent to create distance, flinch and as a reset button or even kick people into traps and whatnot.

I think that while the kick is unblock-able it takes just the same amount of “training” you are suggesting a chamber should take to place it right and use it to a good effect, rather than sadly kicking at the air or at the middle of an enemy swing and thus absorb the damage from the unfinished animation.

A chamber can’t replace a kick. Why not?

1) The kick furfills a different role in combat than a chamber, as mentioned above.
    2) The kick is MUCH easier to pull off and has a FAR greater gain/risk ratio( when the issues mentioned above are fixed) than a chamber( see previous posts for gain/risk of the chamber).

I’ll try to as clear as I possibly can.

How to perform a kick(generalized): Close the gap between you and your opponent. This can happen from both sides. Either you run up to your opponent or your opponent runs up to you. Since the kick is a very fast attack it is very unlikely your opponent can anticipate or even “see” your kick before it the animaton ended. I don’t even think its possible for your opponent to actualy react to a kick since its so fast. So its comes down to getting close and pressing a button without much thought for timing.

How to perform a chamber: Try to find a pattern in the attacks of your opponent, if there is any. Don’t get fooled by feints( VERY HARD), feints would most likely be the anti-chamber move, making it near impossible to predict an attack unless your opponent has some kind of pattern. Make sure there is enough distance between you and your opponent so that the the attacks are readable and allow for a reaction.

There are clearly more game mechanics involved when you try to succesfully pull off a chamber than when you try to pull off a kick. More mechanics, more variables meaning which means you need more experience and need to put more mind work into your playstyle to pull off a chamber than a kick. I don’t see how you can possibly deny that.

So we can objectively say that pulling of a kick is far more likely than pulling of chamber because the amount of variables that come into play. If you add a skill factor it would only mean that the kick would be even more likely to land in comparison to the chamber.

If you introduce a chamber no one will bother to kick since it takes that much effort to place it right for a very low damage rating than performing a chamber that will necessarily deal weapon damage and could very well kill someone. (Lets say, with the Knight 1h-hammer vs a MAA). Why would the knight try to kick then if they can do a chamber and finish off the MAA? And even then why would he bother chamber when hes surrounded by enemies and can just slash?

It’s not chamber or kick, its chamber AND kick. These are two seperate game mechanics that both furfill an entirely different role.

Chamber isn’t the solution to all combat situations.: Like I said its an extra tool, a high risk tool. Did you read that? HIGH RISK, so chamber isn’t always the best solution and in most cases will get you killed.

Giving me fixed example is your flaw here whereas I try to give you a broad view and try to find any contradictions that would possibly break the game. It’s not about " oh he can chamber anyway", it’s about if the situation even allows for a chamber or is he even skilled enough to use a chamber( can he create a situation to use a chamber?).

Let me first stress the fact that the chamber mechanic isn’t/shoudln’t be something that is easily mastered or that it IS a mechanic that you can use easily. I think you are underestimating how hard it is to use a chamber like you describe it. Its more than only a button timing game, there a whole other aspects you’ve completely ignored. I’ll sum it up in order of importance…

But I’ll try to respond to your example, how tiresome it might be. So why would the knight kick? Depends on what style you play but to keep it simple I’ll sum up the cases where I would kick and I’ll tell you why I wouldn’t chamber.

1. The maa tries to swing from mid-distance. I react quicky enough and succesfully time the RIGHT counter swing at the RIGHT time and chamber his attack. My chamber lands on him or he is quick enoughly enough and blocks my chamber.

2. The maa is in my face and is most likely trying to feint me. Wouldn’t chamber because it would be near impossible to pull off due to the speed of the animations, making it unpredictable if and when he’s going to attack. But I can kick to create some distance and work my way up from there to create a possible situation for a chamber to occur.

3. The maa is in my face and attacking me. Wouldn’t chamber because it would be near impossible to pull off due to the speed of the animations, making it unpredictable if and when he’s going to attack.But I can kick to create some distance and work my way up from there to create a possible situation for a chamber to occur.

4. The maa is low on health and I try to close to gap to finish him off with an unblockable
      attack. Maa is low on health so instead of going for the likely hood of getting hit while attempting a chamber it’s more wise to just kick him to death or just feint him and kill him. That is if the maa is in a defensive state due to his lack of health.

5. The moment the maa attacks and is in range( meaning the maa’s attack is still in windup) I kick to flinch him and create some distance. This would be an oppurtunity to chamber that is IF the maa is in range and the maa does not FEINT or cancel his attack or change direction. Making the kick a more safer move to use.

6. The maa dodges forward and I try to keep the distance yet again. No idea if the maa how and when the maa will attack because of the distance between us.Wouldn’t chamber because it would be near impossible to pull off due to the speed of the animations, making it unpredictable if and when he’s going to attack.

7. I jump kick the maa in the face to provoke him into attacking me.

8. I deliberatly miss a kick so that the maa closes the gap and tries to attack me.

I think you’re smart enough to finish 6 and 7 yourself. So as you can see I can only chamber when the attack is in release AND is in the right situation is presented( meaning in some situation I can make the right decision of which attack he is going to do.).

Now this is what mostly bothers me- you said It shouldn’t be something that is easily mastered and that sort of defeats the purpose of the game in my opinion, and would make an opening for what I like to call “knowledge vaulting” in which groups of players, like clans, master a certain type of fighting technique and don’t tell anyone else. Or experienced players getting this secret move that they don’t share. If it is supposed to be something that shouldn’t be easily mastered it means you would have to spend extensive time if you wanted to study how to use it proper, just for that. Which would mean you wont be playing the game, but will be looking for empty servers to fight your friend on. Which to me defeats the purpose of the game. -

That is for you maybe but you shouldn’t have such a sellfish point of view. There are two groups of players here. The casual players and the competitive players. And there won’t ever be a majority of competitive gamers dominating the game like you are trying to make it look like. The vast majority of servers contain casual players so you shoulIdn’t be afraid. I don’t even play public anymore because of that fact I only seek out other competitive players on clan servers anymore.

It was a schock to me when the EU competitive scene was unable to provide 16 clans for the opening 5 v 5 ESL cup. They expected 16 only 8 clans signed up. This is an indicator that the competitive scene is still underdeveloped and needs more support from Torn Banner in the form balance patches and sponsored competitions.

Also I think the devs should put even more emphasis on competitive play because that is the only way the game will eventually survive throughout the years and will be more known. Because lets face it while casual players like you will jump on the next game after you’re bored with this remember that there are still alot of dedicated people like me who are still enjoying the game more than you did and who care more for the game than you ever did! So why would you want us to leave us behind with something that you wanted just for a relatively short period of time.
    I think the devs are trying to achieve a balance where the game is fun in pub for casual gamers but can also please the competitive side with its tedious balancing and deeper combat mechanics without making it too hard for new players. In my opinion that balance is fairly stable. You have a large number of casual player who are fairly ok with having HIGH LEVEL GAME MECHANICS LIKE FEINTING( influences casual AND competitive play FAR more than chambers ever will). So I respect the fact that Torn Banner is trying to keep a balance but in the long run it would be smarter if they invested a bit more in the competitive scene instead of trying to please casual players.

Then again you might have suggested this purely because you are a player who likes to duel one other player. I feel that while this might be a part of the game- seeing as there are duel servers and some people do go there- it is not the focus,

You are correct for once, I do enjoy duels, alot actually and yes it’ll be mostly likely a mechanic that’ll see most use in duels. No its not the sole focus off the game, nor is Team Objective the focus of Torn Banner. Like I said they are trying to achieve balance between all of that and what I’m suggesting isn’t influencing balance THAT much that you’ll get a sudden outbreak of competitive players who’ll dominate servers making you not want to play the game. The most suitable game mechanic for that to happen would be FEINT and we already know that didn’t happen so no reason anymore to be afraid.

and if chambers are supposed to be this difficult to master in order to effectively use them, then its a waste of time for a game like chivalry which is mostly focused around a multi-player scenario. Not a 1v1.

I said they are hard to master not impossible. So no, not a waste of time. It would add to the combat system as I’ve mentioned before.

later on you said “it will effectively give the player an extra tool.” - which I also massively disagree on. Because you earlier said that it is something that is supposed to be hard to master- which means that new players will have an even harder time familiarizing into the game than before when the experienced player can easily create a chamber and kill them.

Its an extra tool thats hard to master but not essential for basic combat. Like you rarely see feinting in pub/casual play and feinting IS way more easier to pull off than chamber. So if I rarely see chambers in pub/casual play then don’t expect to see chambers at all.

An experienced player won’t be able to “easily” create a chamber, if an experienced player would fight against a casual player it would be the use of FEINTS that would be critical and not chambers. Sure he can possible create a situation where he can use a chamber. But why go through all that when he just can easily feint. An experienced player can keep parrying an casual player’s attack due to lack of experience. Should we make parry’ing more noob friendly too? Don’t try to make chamber the bad guy move here ;)

I do not think that it is viable in any way, or would add to the game in any way more than what it is presently.

Please try to read and understand what I’m trying to convey to you in my previous posts. See previous posts.

What I like most about chivalry is the fact that everyone can join up and have fun without having to spend too much time in learning to fine tune their game. I think that adding complex game mechanics will ruin that, and give the game an unnecessary steep learning curve.

You can still have fun and learn the basics of the game because they are so instinctive.
    The learning curve for casual players will remain the same: you attack and you parry. The learning curve for players who aspire to be competitive would be slightly higher.

Adding this rather game mechanic won’t skew the learning curve at all like you’re trying to make it sound like. It would be a slight addition to the skillcap like the alternate swing key.

I don’t see why you would oppose something that has little influence on pub play but would bring more enjoyment to the players who play this competitive and seek to enhance their playstyle.

• @Sophax:

Sorry but at this point I got really winded from having to read this much explanation. Nothing this complicated should be added to a game. And it is after all just a game.
    Sorry then if I come off as ignorant.

And no I didn’t play Mount & Blade, is it for PC?
    I’ve looked it up for a bit and I can see why you’re so keen on it being added. But this game isn’t a sandbox SP, its a MP slasher in the downpoint. The game doesn’t look very appealing to me from the game play and the screenshots also.

And as hulking said with much sense, this can probably not be implemented anyway.
    So if you wanna play M&B, do that!

• Chamber attacks was on the list of things to test back when I was on the Dev team, however due to huge time constraints, nothing ever came of it. It would have essentially worked like you said though Sophax, when two weapon’s corresponding attacks met in the release phase, they would have deflected off one another (as opposed to one flinching another, which actually is no longer the case, you just hit trade). I doubt we’ll ever see it now though, as most communities prefer things that exist from the very start, rather than see things core features added later (I guess I can be like that too though). However, I could have seen Chambers being one solution to the release hit trading without adding flinch to release which would obviously cock up all the slow weapons.

• @User:

@Sophax:

Sorry but at this point I got really winded from having to read this much explanation. Nothing this complicated should be added to a game. And it is after all just a game.
    Sorry then if I come off as ignorant.

And no I didn’t play Mount & Blade, is it for PC?
    I’ve looked it up for a bit and I can see why you’re so keen on it being added. But this game isn’t a sandbox SP, its a MP slasher in the downpoint. The game doesn’t look very appealing to me from the game play and the screenshots also.

And as hulking said with much sense, this can probably not be implemented anyway.
    So if you wanna play M&B, do that!

Just so you know, chambering was exclusively a multiplayer feature; the AI certainly never used it. As I recall, it was sort of emergent gameplay, but perhaps the developers specifically added it. I’m not fully aware of Warband’s competitive history.