Suggestion: Play Dead

• As I was stabbing my fallen enemy repeatedly in the face, thinking how satisfying it was to watch his blood stain the grass with each thrust, I realized this would be a lot more fun if I had an actual reason to decapitate and stab my foes after I had killed them. It occurred to me that in a real battle, lightly-armored cowards such as archers and men-at-arms would probably fall down and play dead after taking a single hit, instead of remaining on their feet and getting themselves killed by a superior opponent.

What I propose is the addition of a feature which allows players to fall down and play dead with the press of a button. Their enemies would then have to watch for breathing to tell whether or not they were alive. Soldiers faking their deaths would also be given away if they weren’t at all bloody or wounded. I believe this would lend itself to some interesting combat in which a knight slashes an archer, the archer goes down immediately, lying still and hoping the knight leaves him for dead, then springs up and shoots the knight in the back as he runs off. Or if the knight is smart, he’ll chop off the archer’s head for good measure.

Of course, this feature could be abused…for instance, entire teams might simultaneously play dead, leaving their enemies in confusion about whom to attack. I suggest putting a time limit, say ten seconds, on the play dead, and then a cooldown on the ability of maybe thirty seconds or a minute.

What do you think?

• I can’t see how that should work in Chivalry. You can’t just play dead after taking a hit, your enemy would see that there’s no killing message appearing. Furthermore it will be abused, having entire groups of players lying around and waiting for the enemy to pass by. It would take away a lot of action from the game and turn it into a pseudo-stealthy-kinda-thing. I don’t think that this option enriches Chivalry in any way, this better belongs to other games.

• Hm, maybe you’re right. It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment suggestion. I guess it would detract from the flow of combat. Maybe if a perk system is introduced in the future though, it could be one of many perks, so not everyone would have the option.

• Was there ever said anything about a perk-system? I really don’t know, that’s why I’m asking.

• “Frank, you’ve hit him three times now, I’m pretty sure he’s dead”
    "NO, JUST ONCE MORE, I SWEAR HE’S FAKING IT, HE’S FAAAAAKIIIIING IIIIIIT"
    “Let it go, Frank, he’s dead!”

Poor Frank never was the same after that MaA managed to kick him in the nuts after playing dead

• How about only giving this to the archer? Would give a more interesting ability than the ‘+ 50% backstab damage’. And then I’d actually have a solid reason to decapitate ‘dead’ archers. :D

• Would work since me and many other players have the habit of decapitating all corpses on the ground.

• @Fazzoletti:

I can’t see how that should work in Chivalry. You can’t just play dead after taking a hit, your enemy would see that there’s no killing message appearing. Furthermore it will be abused, having entire groups of players lying around and waiting for the enemy to pass by. It would take away a lot of action from the game and turn it into a pseudo-stealthy-kinda-thing. I don’t think that this option enriches Chivalry in any way, this better belongs to other games.

Yeah but how about only available for classes that actully have no armor, such as the archers. Knights or MAA won’t be able to actully lift up himself after laying on the ground without help from alot others.

This idea would help alot for Javelinmen what I think, they are the least one who’s getting the hate.

• You already can play dead, just press F10.

• There actually was a feign death command, but it was removed pretty early in alpha. Actually, it wasn’t quite removed - you could still access it by typing feign death in console right up until the first post-release hotfix :P

• This could be tricky to implement.

But just so I could see people on both teams, ruthlessly cutting up the bodies of those they’ve killed, I’d want it.

Not really enough of a good reason, I suppose the penalty for checking each body will be wasted time or making yourself vulnerable. What we’ll get though is the equivalent of “Spy checking” on dead bodies.

• I decapped him but I swear HE’S FEIGNING DEATH.

This honestly won’t work in this game. People already assault dead bodies and the advantage goes to archers as they can easily HS faking fakers. There’s already a death animation which is beyond the be all sign that someone is actually dead. Would this be some type of option after you’ve taken damage? It would have to be since dead bodies have blood on them. If I see a clean dead body, I’m chucking knives at it.

I see zero use to this, especially since 75% of the time, I’m chopping off a limb or decapping when I kill someone. I’ll already know the person is dead. Likewise, as said earlier, x > or equal to" decent players" look at the kill marquee. They will know if someone is dead or not.

You’ve welcome to mod something like this though.

• It’s a fun idea and would be good for humor, but wouldn’t be effective as imagined unless particular servers could force a certain ragdoll length and disable kill messages in top right of screen.

• I see this being a mod for some non-official servers….

• @SharpshotSid:

“Frank, you’ve hit him three times now, I’m pretty sure he’s dead”

Poor Frank never was the same after that MaA managed to kick him in the nuts after playing dead

lol, just imagine the TKs while 4 people are hacking at the same dead body.

• @gregcau:

@SharpshotSid:

“Frank, you’ve hit him three times now, I’m pretty sure he’s dead”

lol, just imagine the TKs while 4 people are hacking at the same dead body.

‘‘Hey, Let’s decapitate that teammate’s body on the ground over there!’’

• @SlyGoat:

There actually was a feign death command, but it was removed pretty early in alpha. Actually, it wasn’t quite removed - you could still access it by typing feign death in console right up until the first post-release hotfix :P

This command was also in the Unreal Tournament 3 but it wasn´t really useful because that game is just played at lightning speed! But Sly, feign death could actually work REALLY well in Chivalry.

The purpose is NOT to feign death while you´re getting attacked. The purpose is to lay down at the ground, pretend being dead and wait until the enemies pass by. End of story.

Off course you can still distinguish a dead body from a player by looking at them: If it bleeds, it´s probably dead…

Seriously, this is one of the best suggestion I´ve read in a while, reconsider it!!!

• Well, some sort of fake death could be tested in the beta.
    That’s it’s purpose right?

• It would be as buggy as shit but ok, not against it.

• @lemonater47:

It would be as buggy as shit but ok, not against it.

Why?