Kick/shieldbash

• Do they need buffs? Ive only played this game a short while(20 hours or so) but im a big fan of duel servers and usually bite of more than i can chew. I do enjoy how balanced the melee classes are in this game even if the knight seems to get a little shafted against competent players(always on the backfoot, relying on the enemy to make a mistake rather than forcing them too) and one thing ive noticed is the great reliance of shield bashing both for killing me and my foes. Its not likely that a MAA is going to stick to my melee range. Which means my only options are to swing when he swings and take the blow or to bait his attack and bash him and swing then. However this NEVER works. Im a bit dumbfounded as to why its in the game when everyone can block or parry in time to stop your swing after getting kicked and shieldbashed. This doesnt, however, apply to archers and vanguards, because the vangaurd doesnt have to step forward to hit a target hes kicked and archers dagger swings so fast that they can negate both your wind up and your block. I recognize that some weapons would be too slow for this(maces for one) but this was using the falchion, which is the fastest one hander i have available. The game feels really skewed to two handers because their swing speeds are nearly identical(and sometimes better) than one handers with the bonus of reach and damage and a buff to the bash seems a step in in the right direction of evening the odds.

• Kick/shield bash is mostly a countermeasure to shields. During the brief stun period, your camera angle is locked - and additionally, when blocking with a shield your turn rate is capped at a fairly low amount. So combined with clever strafing, kicks can allow you to circle around a shield and hit them in the side.

• They are also great for finishing off severely wounded players since they are unblockable.

• @Dr.Nick:

They are also great for finishing off severely wounded players since they are unblockable.

This is true - can be a waste of stamina if you aren’t completely sure of the damage you dealt though, as a kick does only 5 damage but costs I believe 20 stamina. I get a lot of shield bash kills on knights when I use the mace or war axe, because I usually know when I land two headshots, which leaves them at 4 HP. Next patch this will also be true for the Morning Star.

• This is true - can be a waste of stamina if you aren’t completely sure of the damage you dealt though, as a kick does only 5 damage but costs I believe 20 stamina.

Just take a look on how bloodied they are. It’s better way to judge damage dealt in my opinion.

The game feels really skewed to two handers because their swing speeds are nearly identical(and sometimes better) than one handers with the bonus of reach and damage and a buff to the bash seems a step in in the right direction of evening the odds.

Is that so because two handers are beginning their attack before you two clash weapons, with their superior range they can start their attack ealier and come closer only to deliver attack. There also is counter-attack which is faster, that’s why when you attack and when they block they can bring another attack faster than you.

Faster weapons are better for feinting and you don’t need to worry about TK’ing that much. Sometimes they are great to finish off one enemy quickly leaving you with only one. Longer weapons (like bastard swords) are better against multiple enemies as they’ll try to reach you, making circles to damage them if they’ll attack recklessly. Another way to use them is by utilizing their long range.

Kick/shieldbash is a good way to finish off almost dead enemy. Shieldbash is also great for throwing archers off balance when they aim at you. If you have an enemy under the wall you can also use it to distract him, and then attack from another angle. Kicks are fine to me although shieldbash has really short range and while you use it enemy can hit you so you have to be catious when to use it.

• I liked kick a lot more before the idle flinch was added (I think I’m one of the few that kicked in almost every fight), but because of idle flinch, my distance breaker has gotten me killed a lot more due to it essentially having an extra .2 windup so I have been using it less now, mostly reserved for shields only and don’t really bother with shieldless now. I almost want kick to override flinches, just like parries.

• I use kicks alot in regular fights when I’m a Knight with the SoW. Really throws the person off and I usually get a stab off right after kicking them.

• @venomblade:

I use kicks alot in regular fights when I’m a Knight with the SoW. Really throws the person off and I usually get a stab off right after kicking them.

That doesn’t work against someone who knows how to block though.