This game may die a quick death at this state

• As someone who top pubs pretty regularly, I can’t help but thinking the game has not much to offer for people whose gaming skills have a lot to be desired.

I’m not the greatest player or anything, but I gain immense amount of fun while owning, beheading one after another in a single lifecycle. But even then I have my bad moments which puts me at around 1to 1 KD ratio which frustrates me greatly.

But what do those people you see in pubs getting like 5 kills and 20 deaths have to go for in this game? Surely the game must be extremely frustrating - spawning to just get killed by run stab overhead combo only to have your attack whiffed because the other guy stepped back just enough.

TF2 in comparison has a great deal to offer for those who don’t have the same twitch skill others have. They can passively support the team with medic or engineer. They also require certain set of skill and knowledge, but even newbies can offer great help to veterans in the field of battle. Because of that, the lifespan of the game has been extended greatly IMO. If newbies can have some fun as well, then they’ll stick around for longer, even if they never improve enough to be at a competitive level.

You see a similar pattern in other team based games. They have a support option which allows less competent players to contribute to the team in some way which doesn’t require precision aims or twitch reactions. Battlefield series for example, has medic and engineer class.

What I’m suggesting is also similar. There has to be a support class (such as medic), or a map which can utilize support actions - for instance, a conquest map where players can hit trees with weapons, and gather resources for the team to use (maybe fortify castle, build houses to increase respawn rate. game ends when either blue or red’s castle core is destroyed - or something like that).

As it stands right now, this game is way too skill friendly and dependent. I feel at times I need to hold back just so people don’t leave the server empty, which there are already too little of (In Asia, specifically speaking).

It must be known that most players buying the game will never be able to play at a level where they become aware of subtle intricacies with swing directions, player movement, range/speed and etc. But if we leave the game in this state, it is also true that those players will be the first to go - after frustrating hours and hours of dying and not getting any pleasure out of it. The way to keep them is to give them some ways to contribute to the team in a non-combat way.

Before the winter steam sale for the game went live, the servers were already dying a slow death (Asian servers). For now, the sale has infused some fresh blood into the community but I doubt they will last long.

This is too unique to die out just like this - one newbies leaving after another. Sure, some veterans might keep a server or two populated, but that will just make the game hostile to new players even further like how Quake 3 eventually became a game exclusively for those who can air shot people with rockets.

Well, my 2c. Godspeed, Torn Banner.

• Ye ole triage tent. I don’t think support classes really work in games like this, it’d be like adding a medic to Call of Duty. Honestly, nothing would make me abandon this game faster then being res’d only to be instantly killed again, ad nauseum. Besides, if you don’t move you heal up to full anyway. Maybe once we get proper admin tools there can be servers set up for lesser skilled players.

• I can’t help but hate and ignore everything said by anyone with a “doomsayer” thread title.

“Dis gaem is dying so do wat I say”

• The only thing i see which sucks for new players is that they dont know about tricks that the more experienced players use to their advantage, such as overhead animation abuse or combo feint bug. When a new player in tf2 sees another soldier rocketjump(to take the most basic example), the action is plainly visible to emulate and copy. Until the animation bugs and shortcomings in chivalry are fixed, new players will have a huge disadvantage.

The skill in Chivalry should lie in distancing, timing, precision, wits and awareness.

As for a healer class: It wouldnt be too crazy. There were monks who took care of the wounded in battlefields. Gameplay is more important than realism. Thats why we have regeneration in Chivalry.

• @Sir:

I can’t help but hate and ignore everything said by anyone with a “doomsayer” thread title.

“Dis gaem is dying so do wat I say”

That’s pretty far from ignoring it i’d say.
    The guy has some valid points actually, if you had taken time to read it instead of trolling.

TF2 and other games with large, lasting playerbases all have gameplay that is very easy to get into and perform effectively as long as you’ve played mp games before. This allows for a steady influx of new players into the competitive scene as well.

We’ve all seen very low level vanguards top the scoreboard above lvl 20+ players. Can we say the same about archers or MAA? Not a chance in hell. All classes need to be accessable. And balanced by a counter-class.

• Chivalry didnt invent videogames with higher skill ceiling than the average CoD.

Also, the game has been around for months and it is still very popular.

• Actually I have changed my mind. When a player is killed and loses a limb (aside from the head) a medic should be able to run up and make a tourniquet for the wound. The killed player would then be brought back to life, still missing the limb which would either cause them to hobble around on one leg or only have the use of one arm. This could be repeated until the player was reduced to a torso, at which point they would be granted a new attack, biting.

/joking

• @Dirtius:

Actually I have changed my mind. When a player is killed and loses a limb (aside from the head) a medic should be able to run up and make a tourniquet for the wound. The killed player would then be brought back to like, still missing the limb which would either cause them to hobble around on one leg or only have the use of one arm. This could be repeated until the player was reduced to a torso, at which point they would be granted a new attack, biting.

/joking

You almost got me.

• I wonder how many brilliant minds opposed medics in FPS games when the idea first started to pop up.

“You mean heal players like a magical nurse? In a game where you kill people? LOLOLOL Will never happen!”

Pretty sure we wont see monks or other healers in this game even though a class that could have say a herbal remedy as a depletable special “weapon” that could heal an amount of hp is not all too strange.

• Medics were actually a hotly debated topic for a while in Age of Chivalry before there was any kind of health regeneration - eventually health regeneration was added and the need for a medic just didn’t seem to exist, because a TF2 style medic that stands behind you throwing bandages at you as you’re fighting is just a ridiculous notion and having out of combat healing which is faster than current health regeneration would if anything be even more frustrating for new players. Now instead of one great player stomping through their team but eventually dying because you can’t block and avoid every single attack, and if you keep on fighting without regenerating you’ll eventually die, you’ve got one great player stomping through everyone with a medic to heal him so he can keep going forever.

Anyway, it seems to me getting stomped in Chivalry is a lot more fun than getting stomped in most FPS. Rather than someone who knows the maps so well he’ll always snipe you in the back of the head without you ever seeing him, you’re mostly going to at least fight the guy before he kills you. You always feel like you at least have a chance. During the sales I’ve seen a lot of players who were doing totally horrible expressing how much fun the game is despite being 0/20.

• @Goblinator:

I wonder how many brilliant minds opposed medics in FPS games when the idea first started to pop up.

“You mean heal players like a magical nurse? In a game where you kill people? LOLOLOL Will never happen!”

Pretty sure we wont see monks or other healers in this game even though a class that could have say a herbal remedy as a depletable special “weapon” that could heal an amount of hp is not all too strange.

It just doesnt fit in this game, maybe in a mod. But the mod has to offer more than just medics to really work.

• I’ve seen entire teams of level 30’s owned by teams of lvl 0-10. Playing badly is still immensely enjoyable and effective, it’s playing on a bad team that causes people to rage their tits off. Myself included.

• @Wingy:

@Goblinator:

I wonder how many brilliant minds opposed medics in FPS games when the idea first started to pop up.

It just doesnt fit in this game, maybe in a mod. But the mod has to offer more than just medics to really work.

Not necessarily. There’s plenty of ways to fit a healer in this game even with the the health regen. Game design will find a way! One example off the top of my head would be to have a monk/zealot class that uses staffs for a weapon and can incite religious chants to greatly speed up players health regen healing them almost instantly out of combat and faster in combat. They would be very lightly armored, maybe between a vanguard and a maa. Their warcries could used as their healing chants even :D

• Whenever someone suggests magic healing chants or a commander that can shout to make you do more damage, it makes me feel queasy.

• Sighs no imagination Slygoat. You could just have him put on bandages to people out of combat but that wouldn’t make him a very fun/well designed class.

• Those people you mentioned that have 5 kills and 20 deaths are probably new. They are in the process of learning. I don’t understand where your confusion comes from.

• Morale =/= healing by laughter.

• Agreed….

• How about you stop the meaningless pub stomp and join the competitive scene?

Like you said, they become frustrated and eventually leave the game. So why would you keep contributing to that if you know that’ll happen.

• @Sophax:

How about you stop the meaningless pub stomp and join the competitive scene?

Because I’m a casual who just happens to be able to pick up games pretty fast (plus the AOC background). I’m nowhere near the tourney level nor do I have the time to invest in (also mainly that I play to have fun). What I can do is few hours every couple of days and the numbers are already dwindling as each day goes on, effectively decreasing the game’s availability and value for me.

Before the winter steam sale, the servers were already pretty much dead in my region, being unable to play during the weekdays, and just barely a server during the weekends. It is something you east and west coast U.S. players wouldn’t understand.

Everyone who thinks the game is fine as it is, being hyper skill dependent and all, are delusional. I give it another month before all asian servers are dead and nothing was done to prevent it.