High pingers getting a bit out of hand

• Seems that recently I’ve noticed far more high ping players than there used to be.

I think 150 is too high given how narrow the windows are for combat timing, but lately there are a lot of people in the 200’s and 300’s. Even seen players in the 500 - 1000’ range!

There is really no need for the browser to even be displaying servers with pings like that.

• Yeah i’m seeing this more as well. 150+ and weird stuff starts happening around them. Like you dying for no apparent reason.

• For some odd reason, pings are unusually high in this game. I also don’t understand why they are multiples of 4. Anything up to 200 is playable if it’s just distance based as opposed to high bandwidth traffic. We’ve fought FK with ~180 ping.

• I think 150 is too high given how narrow the windows are for combat timing, but lately there are a lot of people in the 200’s and 300’s. Even seen players in the 500 - 1000’ range!

It’s wrong to assume you’ve been killed (by “you” I mean people in general) due to high ping of another player rather than incorrect block. Ping below 200 seems to be fine from my observations. Problems - real problems - are when you have higher ping.

There is really no need for the browser to even be displaying servers with pings like that.

You can set what ping you want to be displayed.

• This is just a guess, but I imagine that a lot of people just got this awesome game for Christmas (and if so, they have the best loved ones ever), and so there are a lot of new players in the game. New players don’t necessarily know how to manage their ping or how to reduce lag; they’re still figuring things out.

Moreover, people who gift games usually don’t check if your system or internet connection can handle a game. That’s sort of the situation I’m in, which has left me struggling to play at about 5-20 fps on a laptop that I never intended to game on. (And yet I’m addicted, so I struggle on anyway. ^__^)

Hopefully this will sort itself out over the next week or so as people figure out their stuff. If you can, try to be polite and help them out. Ask them if they know that their ping is really high, and if they need help, tell them about filtering rooms by max ping, sorting by lowest ping, etc. Maybe all they need is a few pointers.

Anecdote: I fought a guy with a ping that was over 500, and he charged me (he was a vanguard) and then I hit him three times with my morningstar. I didn’t hear him die, but his sprite sorta just stood there so assumed he was dead and started running off to the next encounter - and like 5 whole steps later I died from injuries I apparently received in battle. O_o Now that’s lag!

• There was one time I had a massive latency spike for 5 minutes or so. During that period I was basically zapping around (even on my screen), and with left swing spams killed the whole other team. I can definitely see high ping being abused in some cases. Perhaps servers should have an auto-kick built in (similar to many other online games) that will kick a player if his latency exceeds a certain amount.

• @Holy.Death:

You can set what ping you want to be displayed.

But by default it is unlimited and doesn’t put them in order of lowest to highest. I think the default filter settings should have the max ping set to 200 rather than unlimited. Just so that people who don’t really understand ping only see ‘safe’ servers by default.

• I have 200-250 ping in US servers and I can play just fine. I don’t have any issues and the players never complained about lag or me.

Obviously there is a very tiny minimum delay, caused by lag, but only in very rare occasions affect my gameplay. Only in those times of last mili-second blocks or parries. And I don’t really care. It’s game, for fun. It’s better to have that tiny delay (that doesn’t bother me anyways) instead of not playing the game at all because I can’t find servers with lower ping.

• @Holy.Death:

It’s wrong to assume you’ve been killed (by “you” I mean people in general) due to high ping of another player rather than incorrect block. Ping below 200 seems to be fine from my observations. Problems - real problems - are when you have higher ping.

While I have empirical evidence of the fact that players with delay above 200ms surprisingly often have an unfair advantage. I guess, this is what OP was talking about.
    To be precise, damage resolution of their strikes happens EARLIER than attack animation finishes itself. Basically, damage is delivered during wind-up phase of their attacks due to some sort of inconsistency. It only happens for players with really high ping, though, who are kind of rare.

I’ve been playing for quite some time now, seen my fair share of speedhackers, server desyncs and glitches, but this is something else. Seems like a fault in netcode or something.

• But by default it is unlimited and doesn’t put them in order of lowest to highest. I think the default filter settings should have the max ping set to 200 rather than unlimited. Just so that people who don’t really understand ping only see ‘safe’ servers by default.

What’s wrong with setting your own options in the server browser? It’s like three-four clicks to set everything to your liking. After some time settings set in and I don’t have to adjust them anymore.

While I have empirical evidence of the fact that players with delay above 200ms surprisingly often have an unfair advantage. I guess, this is what OP was talking about.

And what I’ve said?:

Ping below 200 seems to be fine from my observations. Problems - real problems - are when you have higher ping.

You don’t have to guess to know what the OP was talking about either. It’s right here:

I think 150 is too high given how narrow the windows are for combat timing, but lately there are a lot of people in the 200’s and 300’s. Even seen players in the 500 - 1000’ range!

• @Martin:

Anything up to 200 is playable if it’s just distance based as opposed to high bandwidth traffic. We’ve fought FK with ~180 ping.

Yeah, people usually won’t start warping around until they reach the 300-400 range. Up to 200, it’s perfectly fine.

Not saying it is OP case but most of the time people just can’t accept having their asses kicked by someone else and will look for anything “suspicious” in order to feel better about it.

• @Holy.Death:

But by default it is unlimited and doesn’t put them in order of lowest to highest. I think the default filter settings should have the max ping set to 200 rather than unlimited. Just so that people who don’t really understand ping only see ‘safe’ servers by default.

What’s wrong with setting your own options in the server browser? It’s like three-four clicks to set everything to your liking. After some time settings set in and I don’t have to adjust them anymore.

I agree and that’s fine for those of us that understand them or can be bothered, but I highly doubt players in the 500 - 1000 ping range are setting their own filter options. Default options should be the safest and most user friendly.

@karasique:

To be precise, damage resolution of their strikes happens EARLIER than attack animation finishes itself. Basically, damage is delivered during wind-up phase of their attacks due to some sort of inconsistency. It only happens for players with really high ping, though, who are kind of rare.

Yes this is a result I’ve been noticing lately. Even worse when the player is using quick 1h weapons. I had someone kill me while still in idle last night. :?

To be honest I wonder if the ping is even being displayed right some of the time. Some players seem warpy when they have reasonable ping while others appear normal with high ping. I’ve even noticed a couple of times my own ping in-game was 100 higher than it was in the browser but it still seemed to play the same.

• It might be the lack of active servers in other regions (like EU) that makes someone select a random server from the serverlist (someone who aint filtering).
    Anyhow. i rarely play on any server if i go above 70ms, thats my treshold in chivalry where i start to feel the difference, but during nighttimes or after 00.00 all EU servers usaly drop to zero or just a few~

• Whenever a player with 200+ping is on the servers I play on we votekick them off the server due to excessive lag. With 200+ping you cannot block, parry or fight them properly so I do not think that is unfair.

I do find it funny that I have come across many players in this game that have no idea about ping or what it means, some even think the higher the better.

This is PC multiplayer gaming in 2012, who are these people :D

• I think it’s wrong to kick people for something that could be a sudden spike. Today my ping was going from 40 - 300 every five minutes or so, for no evident reason. It stopped eventually and all was good. But that’s nothing I have control over, sometimes servers just act weird.

If it’s consistent, I imagine they are having a bad enough time that you won’t need to kick them. I always leave if it stays high.

• This game uses a system called “Trace” for melee combat. It works by literally tracing the arc of the animation played when you initiate an attack.

Trace is HEAVILY reliant on the clients framerate to work properly. If someone is lagging and dropping packets and thus frames, their attacks will ghost right through you.

Don’t complain about people with bad ping, have pity. It’s probably not their fault and realistically, you’re at an advantage against them.