Robotized movements

• Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post a small remark about the video I could see from the game :

Externally, everything looks very smooth and realistic. But as a player, our own movements (hands/weapon/camera) look too much static and really “robotized”. The weapons’ animations might be temporary, but adding some nice movements for the player’s camera could be very immersive and interesting.
    You could add a sort of lurching of the head when the player gets hit, a small movement when he switches weapon, and most of all, some movements going in the direction of our own sword when we give a hit.

Actually what I can see right now reminds me a lot of Dark Messiah with better graphics only. I know it’s easier to say than to do, but I thought I should warm you from this. So here it is :)

• I’m sure there will be more animations as the game is only in alpha.

I don’t expect too much to be added in the sense of head movement as I know some people get motion sickness playing games where the camera bobs a lot. I personally don’t have this issue but I have had real life friends that cant play games because of this.

• Yea of course ! I guess it might require a lot of tests in oder to find a good balance which will get this inflexibility effect off, while keeping the player healthy after spending hours on the game.

• I agree. Kind of like in Skyrim when your head moves back a bit and swings forward during a power attack or how it gets pushed back when you block a blow with your shield.

• @Nate108:

I agree. Kind of like in Skyrim when your head moves back a bit and swings forward during a power attack or how it gets pushed back when you block a blow with your shield.

I disagree, please make this game NOTHING like skyrim ;) Dont mean to be a dink but this is a hardcore game, and small little elements like this do not matter in the heat of battle. Patch it in later if u want otherwise, we could always larp.

• @Forgottenmind:

@Nate108:

I agree. Kind of like in Skyrim when your head moves back a bit and swings forward during a power attack or how it gets pushed back when you block a blow with your shield.

I disagree, please make this game NOTHING like skyrim ;) Dont mean to be a dink but this is a hardcore game, and small little elements like this do not matter in the heat of battle. Patch it in later if u want otherwise, we could always larp.

I only mean like Skyrim in terms of those tiny movements. I think those sorts of things do nothing to hurt the hardcore-ness of the game and only add to the immersion.

• Developer

We are playing with camera animations for these types of effects now, not sure if they will feel good or not but will let you know!

• I think minimalistic head camera movements are ok, just so long as it doesn’t feel like you are “stuck” in an animation like say…ARMA 2 or Skyrim/Oblivion.

Also, kinda sucks when the camera is going every which way, you kind of lose where you’re at. When we move our head, our eyes tend to stay focused on what we were focusing on, they dont remain fixed straight ahead. It’s a hard thing to do right, but with a bit of thought, can be done just fine.

Some head camera movement is better than none. Games like Far Cry 2 and BF3 tend to do the head movements right, it’s not ridiculously erratic, but it’s enough so that you can still focus on what you’re doing, but also understanding what the character is doing.