How to face multiple opponents?

• Hi there. I’ve found multiple guides on dueling on youtube and they’ve helped me plenty yet I struggle to find a guide on fighting multiple opponents. What usually happens is I’m duelling one player and suddenly their teammates rush from behind them, someone surprises me with a blow to the back while I’m duelling someone or a group of people charge at me.

The outcome 90% ends up with me dying unless:
    A: My own teammates join me
    B: Accidental teamkill because they’re excited to score the killing blow
    C: It’s a duo and I strike down the one ahead of the other in one blow

These things of course usually do not happen.

I tried many things to counter teamming.

1.I cannot turtle with the shield because they encircle me and their blows drain my stamina.
    2.I cannot use a 2 hander to keep them back because most players just aggressively rush and my attacks are too slow
    3.I cannot use a 1 hander because the reach of their 2 handers (most knights and vangards) stop me from striking back while I back off to prevent them from encircling me
    4.I cannot run away because I’ll get cut down and while I walk backwards while facing them they are always able to sprint forward
    5.I cannot kick them to try and force all of them back because I have to allow them to unleash their fury of blows on me before I can safely kick but I’m already out of stamina by then. This isn’t even taking into account that THEY might kick me to open my guard.

I’ve considered that maybe the game is purposely designed to make soloing groups ineffective 9/10 times unless you’re extremely luckly. Please help.

• I don’t know how to help you, I think its a slight flaw in this game. I find the best thing you can do is just stick with your teammates as long as you can.

• #1 rule of Chivalry: team mates are nothing more than toxic zombies, unless you play in a clan.

Play as a lone wolf. Don’t face multiple opponents, because it’s only going to lower your chances of success. Work on 1vs1’ng your way to victory, knowing where to be and when to be there, knowing where your enemies are your team mates are at constantly (map/situational awareness) and knowing when to strike and when to run. Play every class (except archer) like an MaA and you’ll do good as long as you’re actually good. Stay away from your team mates. Take different routes, constantly flank and put pressure on their spawn points if you’re good enough to hold your own.

A balanced, solid class to play right now to learn the game is Knight with sword of war, flanged mace and kite shield. This may change next patch, but once you get good with that then you can branch out and try other things like vanguard with halberd or great sword and MaA with hatchet/falchion/Dane axe and heater shields. Or you can try other knight weapons like pole axe, falchion, war hammer, ect…

Just see team work as poison and avoid it, be it from your own team or your enemies. Play this game as a lone wolf and you’ll do fine.

• One thing I have learned about facing multiple opponents is avoid the temptation to turtle. Even when there are 2 or 3 guys swinging weapons at you its tempting to block, block, block. But when they are ganging up on you like that, a lot of times they will get sloppy and you can get them to kill eachother/leave themselves wide open. I think like everything else in this game you just need to play enough and you will get the timing down.

• You have to be unpredictable and fast when fighting multiple opponents. Get good at timing your parries correctly and judging their weapon distance.

If you get good at attacking right after you parry (doesn’t work with a shield) you can perform a counter attack, almost skipping the windup of the weapon thus making it far far faster. A good tactic is to parry the attack of the first enemy, and as the second moves in to try and get in a free hit on you, you counter attack towards him. They rarely expect you to switch targets like that. It keeps them on the defensive even though they outnumber you.

• You basically have to have to keep them facing you in a triangle (one foe always leading the point). If they get around you, your dead. Then what happens is they will keep on running into each other trying to attack you. You have to wisely pick a good time to attack. I would advise getting the fastest 1h weapon you can get (Falchion is really good for Knight), because you will need to get in quick cheap shots. Best time is to attack is when one of them accidentally hits the other, this will leave that person dazed and open. If one of them manages to get around you, try to squeeze in between them with your shield up and get them in a triangle formation again. If you do not need to have your shield up leave it down to recover stamina. Use shield bash to prevent people from kicking your shield away. It’s very hard to defeat more than one opponent, but if you manage take out even one you will get your team a kill. Also, if you have help nearby, just hold them off as long as possible there is not point in trying to be rambo.

• **If you get surounded by several people (lets take into account skilled people that don’t swing spam around there teammates and help you kill them) you are probally indeed allready lost.
    But sometimes you can tip the balance in your favor by doing these things.

1.If you see the enemy teammates rushing at you in the DISTANCE then you try to finish your fight with the person you were fighting first and not go defensive and backpeddle right away.
    Fight solo with the guy till the last second until the enemy teammates arrive to help.

2.Dance around the enemy.
    Having a enemy inbetween you and your other enemies will either prevent the others from doing a attack , and if they do a attack they will simply damage there teammate.

3.As UnknownXV has suggested "Switch targets"
    If you have been focusing on a enemy for a certain time the others will think they aren’t next yet.
    Suprise them suddenly by swinging at them or changing the swing direction to there position.
    Alot of times they will not see it coming and will get hit.
    (Alot of people I have fought thought I had forgotten them and didn’t expect a 360 degree swing towards them while they were behind me)

But alot of times…you’re probaly death allready yeah.
    Hope these tips help you!**

PS:
    Its funny that you make this thread today.
    Had a LTS game where I was the last guy left and killed the entire remaining enemy team (about 5 guys) at the same time.
    After I was done they accused me of hacking while it was simply there bad timing and open defences I made use of (Most of them were new players)
    It was hilarious , you should have seen it :P

• It’s impossible for one skilled player to kill two equally skilled players in a fight, assuming no mistakes are made. That’s just the way of things. Fortunately in reality that’s rarely the case. Skill levels are not even, and most of the time a group is prone to make the mistake.

First, you should understand a group’s mindset. When it’s 3 vs 1 or 4 vs 1, what do they care most? What would you care most when fighting a single cornered enemy? Attack and score the last hit. Parry and defending may be the last thing on your mind. Use that to your advantage.

You can’t play defensively against a group, since if they close up on you will just be cut down from multiple directions. Start comboing, attempt to get as close to an enemy you think you should be able to kill, turn around and try to hit as many people as possible with LMB spams. If luck is on your side and skill is not on the group’s, by moving to where the first enemy is you should avoid the range most of the attacks aimed at you, and interrupted most of the second wave of attacks via your attack. At this point most of a group may be wiped out, and you can resume regular duel against the remaining enemies.

It’s very important to try and guess an enemy’s mindset. If he’s looking directly at you without attacking, then he is probably on his guard, and feint may be useful. However in most cases the group will just spam attacks, so feint is less useful while maintaining distance will be essential. Overall, you will want to kill as quickly as possible. If the fight ever becomes a duel against a group filled with parries and counters, you would have already lost. I’m speaking from experience as a Vanguard, so I imagine other classes with shorter weapons and less sturdy armour may have a harder time fighting groups.

ADD: The best advice though, is to avoid group fights in the first place. You should always prioritise helping allies already in a fight. A duel is slower than a backstab, and if you don’t always backstab, the remaining enemies may turn into a group later on. You also should never ever charge alone into a group of enemies without allies by your side. Even if you are skilled, you would find it much more beneficial to have some allies distracting enemies while you do the killing.

• It’s not that hard as you may think. I just focus my mind on the closest opponent, and play against him like in a normal fight, BUT at the same I’m paying attention to the other guy’s attacks, I always focus on the guy closest, if you try to attack the 2 guys at the same time is gonna be hard for you. It’s better to focus on killing 1 guy, but paying attention to dodge both guys’ attacks.

Now if they are 3, the best you can do is to take distance and try to keep them all on your screen/view. The worst thing that you can do is give one of them your back.

Just remember, attack 1 guy at a time, and focus. Don’t panic.

• You’ll be surprised how greedy people can get when facing a cornered opponent; even archers will pull out their butterknives and join the hunt! :D

Best advice is, if you’re surrounded, always be on the offensive, not to one target, but to all your pursuers. Your targets will be so preoccupied on hitting you, they won’t bother blocking. This is where LMB swing becomes godlike, so use it!

If your targets are all in front of you, backpedal, and as soon as an enemy misses an attack, charge forward with a stab, then LMB.

Once I got 2 decaps on my first claymore swing, then 3 more kills on my second, all because my enemy forgot to block. That’s why you never fight a cornered animal! :P

• vanguard helicopter

• I don’t know what class are you using, but from what I can read you use knight. My suggestion will be two handed sword with a shield. If you’re surrounded block while backing and then suddenly go forward while swinging (once or with a combo if you feel like it) and make circle with it. Enemies often forget to parry as they intend to strike so you’ve great chance of them trying to reach you but too late before you cut them. They won’t expect you charging in. Remember to start your attack ealier when they try to flank you.

Another way is to back while facing them with your shield up. They’ll try to hit you, but if you block with your shield there is a chance of them just attacking each other while trying to hit you as you block. When you see it push with your weapon. You should be able to land one hit before being forced on the defensive again. Team damage is your biggest friend when you are surrounded by men at arms and archers.

The best way is to combine both methods - it won’t always work, but your chances should increase. I am often able to outlast three guys where two of them die by my hand and one is teamkilled.

• Can’t recall if these things have been mentioned before, but:

• It’s obviously easier for classes with better armor (knight) and reach (vanguard and sometimes knight). MAA can use their speed to keep their distance, but watch that energy; your best bet may be to stall until dumb/desperate opponents will soften each other up, or until you can reach an ally or an ally reaches you.

• Likewise, its often easier to down lightly armored, short-reach opponents quickly to try to get bac to a 1v1 duel.

• Pay attention to blood on your enemies - sometimes this is easier to spot on Agatha uniforms. If one of them is weakened, consider taking him out quickly, or hope that he’ll quickly get TK’ed.

• Keep in mind that the opponent to your left is the one most likely to be hit by a LMB swing from his ally. When its a toss-up between opponents, I usually go for h

• Well-timed kicks can buy you a little time, allowing you to briefly duel 1v1 again.

• Be mindful of what is behind/around you. Falling off a wall onto a lower surface or jumping over an obstacle can help buy time, but sometimes it can backfire as it may actually make it easier for them to flank you, depending on the situation. Backing up into or against a wall does you little good, though sometimes it can deflect some attacks. I’m not kidding you that I saw a cornered archer back himself into a tight space, crouch, and stab stab stab against 2 knights and a vanguard. He still died but he got a few good licks in and I think there was at least one TK and a ton of blows that bounced off the walls. (Granted, these guys were clearly idiots.)

• If they’re being cautious with their swings, careful not to hit each other, keep that in mind - and abuse the fact that you can swing with impunity, and a high chance of striking twice.

• If you’re desperate or just feeling cheeky, try ducking a swing. This has killed me as often as it has saved me, but sometimes I’ll gladly take that chance - and its hilarious when it works and causes a TK. This is an acceptable strategy if they have managed to completely flank you, since you have no other defense against an attack from the rear, and you know it’s coming. No one can resist smashing in the back of your skull.

EDIT: I don’t know if this mindset works for anyone but me, but when I’m facing 2+ opponents on my own (I usually play archer or MMA), I often have to admit that I done goofed. I am already dead, so I don’t panic. It was my fault, what’s done is done, I deal with it. Now is not the time to panic or to feel frustrated: now is the time to see who I can drag down to hell with me.

And sometimes I actually get in these situations on purpose, though almost exclusively as an MAA, and only in TO situations of course, as occasionally it is good for the objective to draw off a few opponents and watch them waste their precious time and attention trying to kill you when they should be focusing on the rest of your team who is currently zerging the ever living snot out of the objective. In these cases, I usually opt for survival time more than anything, but I still try to keep a positive outlook, knowing that I’m helping the team even in death.

• Probably step 1 would be to take out your shield, if you have one. I find that anticipation is key in facing multiple opponents. Generally you should attempt to guess which one of them is going to strike, and try to hit him before he winds up and thus make him flinch. If they have flanked you, try to anticipate when the guy behind you is going to strike, then quickly turn around, block him with a shield, then turn around again and attempt to hit the player behind you. This has done wonders for me. Naturally, you should keep moving, if there’s more than two, do whatever you can to keep as many of them out of range as possible. Even better if you can get another player in their way, so he might get hit. But all this is very situational really, and based on assumption that the enemy will charge you carelessly (which they often will). However, if those are good players you’re facing, few of the above might work, since they will likely be more careful with their approach. That’s not to say that good players don’t get careless though, if they have not yet identified YOU as a good player, they might go in hoping for a quick kill. Use this to your advantage and surprise them. That’s all I got for now, but there’s definetly more.

• If possible I usually try to lure them into TK each other.

If there’s an archer aiming at me I usually try to steer an enemy between me and him, because for some reason archers like to shoot at single enemies that have multiple friendlies in the way.

• Oh I love being gangbanged as a MaA. A light class is like live flesh to the zombie horde. However, I wouldn’t want to be gangbanged as anything but an MaA. Remember there are many options in this.

My advice:
    1. KNOW YOUR POSITION. As stated before, the triangle with you on the outside and an escape path is necessary for success. It gives you room to work and will put pressure on the other 2 players. The middle man will be at risk and will shift their focus just enough if they can for their life in a FFA. The other guy will consider the easiest kill as a kill. If it’s a gangbang, the outside man, if they care, will try to position attacks away from the friendly. Knowing your position also means knowing the lay of the land so you don’t get cornered or know where you might have an advantage.

2. REPOSITION IF YOU ARE DISADVANTAGED: Many… MANY people hold block/parry and retreat. Unless you are walking towards a hallway with many exits, chances are you aren’t being actively aware of your surroundings and will get yourself in a corner or the attention of other unfriendlies. Running is an option for the lighter classes. I will consider running if I have teammates alive that can help. Otherwise, I’m running in in a way to position the threats all to 1 direction of me. In a gangbang scenario your only ally beyond yourself is the enemies friends. Too often than not I survive gangbangs b/c of enemies killing each other and I find all the remains. Dodge is a boon in this situation.

3. Get better at the game. Nothing about will make any sense or be useful if you haven’t played long enough and developed some type of understanding for C:MW.

4 (debatable) Single out an enemy. As an MaA I really can’t afford trying to club everyone at once. I focus on zoning them into a single file and kill them one by one (or they be slain by lmb vans/nites). I say this is debatable since it may be the case that there are those that won’t play MaA or perform best when slashing a lot of foes. My role when I participate in a 2+ v 1 is to be the stunner/distraction. If you turtle, I will spam kick and reposition myself for everyone to dehead you. If you are the one to be an aggressor, you will more than likely aim for me as I’m the squishiest melee. All I’ll do is parry your attacks and allow the team to kill you.

I run with a crew. In all honestly, if you run up to people that are organized and you yourself are alone, you will die. Like in real life, a successful gangbang has members that know their role. Not everyone is a gunner.

• I can’t give you advice for 3v1’ing in scrims because that is significantly different. However, I can attest to how it is done in pubs.

People play it fast and loose when they believe the odds are in their favor and a 3v1 is the optimal situation to let it shine. A shield is ok, but I prefer to parry in these situations to make my attacks rare, but fast and deadly. So here is a move I like to call the ‘bada-no-look’. Basically, they will try to surround you. You need to know immediately who you will attack because buddy you’re going offensive! When they come in at different angles, you can use FOV as a huge advantage. They see you looking forward and believe they have a cheap and easy side hit. WRONG. You open on their weakest person with a stab. Push towards him. Basically you need to hit him and circle around him so the other two are behind him. If you keep working them into angles like this, there will always be friendly fire and you’re gonna need it. Don’t be too greedy. You could easily combo that guy, but make sure that doesn’t leave you exposed during your recovery. Rinse and repeat this type of tactic. Opening on the weaker ones and dancing around to reposition them. Keep them behind each other to increase the chances of friendly fire.

• As a MAA I can sometimes escape a 2 on 1. Anything more than that though I pretty much accept that I’m going to die. Occasionally I’ll stay on their back line too long and get overwhelmed by a spawn batch.

Anyway, I try to circle around to let them LMB each other then go for the weakest. Another method is to back pedal then sprint forward with a stab then dart out. I try to switch targets as much as I can to keep them guessing. As long as I keep them busy and off the objective as long as I can my death will not have been in vain.

• Train your awareness, use safe routes, etc to avoid being locked in a position of disadvantage. And for that moments you are, do this:

@bada:

I can’t give you advice for 3v1’ing in scrims because that is significantly different. However, I can attest to how it is done in pubs.

People play it fast and loose when they believe the odds are in their favor and a 3v1 is the optimal situation to let it shine. A shield is ok, but I prefer to parry in these situations to make my attacks rare, but fast and deadly. So here is a move I like to call the ‘bada-no-look’. Basically, they will try to surround you. You need to know immediately who you will attack because buddy you’re going offensive! When they come in at different angles, you can use FOV as a huge advantage. They see you looking forward and believe they have a cheap and easy side hit. WRONG. You open on their weakest person with a stab. Push towards him. Basically you need to hit him and circle around him so the other two are behind him. If you keep working them into angles like this, there will always be friendly fire and you’re gonna need it. Don’t be too greedy. You could easily combo that guy, but make sure that doesn’t leave you exposed during your recovery. Rinse and repeat this type of tactic. Opening on the weaker ones and dancing around to reposition them. Keep them behind each other to increase the chances of friendly fire.

• I love fighting 2+ vs 1, so much more interesting then 1v1.

A couple of points to remember:

First and foremost:

Stay Alive.

• Seriously, every action you take must be one that is keeping you alive. Sometimes this involves hitting you enemy, mostly it involves staying out of their range.

Keep your enemies on one side of you.

• If you let them split up, then you are in a world of hurt and must fix this situation immediately.

Go on the offensive as soon as possible.

• They are going to think you are going to die quickly due to overwhelming numbers. They will also probably be a little greedy trying to beat their buddy to the kill. This usually gives easy first hits.
    • This involves flinching your enemies often.

Don’t Block/Parry.

• Well not unless you have to avoid being hit. You are far, far better to stay just out of range and counter their misses with hits of your own. If you get locked into a parry defensive, you’ll most likely lose eventually.

Always move.

• Not just backwards, often if an enemy is on your left and one moves to your fight, run forward. It will put them both to one side of you. Dash forward, turn around and they are both in front again, enemies expect you to back off.

Whittle down your enemies

• Since you are focusing on staying alive, you will more often then not only be attacking when an opportunity arises (their mistake, or your planning). Often this means hitting all opponents over time and not singling 1 out.

I find MAA the best class for multi vs 1 due to their maneuverability. People also seem to act a little more aggressively thinking you’ll be a push over, use this to your advantage. However all classes can do well, don’t get impatient. Archers can even do it.

Nothing beats the feeling in this game then taking on 3 or so opponents and dispatching them all without taking a hit.

Playing FFA can greatly help with the skills of 2+ vs 1.
    Stay aware and stay alive.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.