How to face multiple opponents?

• Train your awareness, use safe routes, etc to avoid being locked in a position of disadvantage. And for that moments you are, do this:

@bada:

I can’t give you advice for 3v1’ing in scrims because that is significantly different. However, I can attest to how it is done in pubs.

People play it fast and loose when they believe the odds are in their favor and a 3v1 is the optimal situation to let it shine. A shield is ok, but I prefer to parry in these situations to make my attacks rare, but fast and deadly. So here is a move I like to call the ‘bada-no-look’. Basically, they will try to surround you. You need to know immediately who you will attack because buddy you’re going offensive! When they come in at different angles, you can use FOV as a huge advantage. They see you looking forward and believe they have a cheap and easy side hit. WRONG. You open on their weakest person with a stab. Push towards him. Basically you need to hit him and circle around him so the other two are behind him. If you keep working them into angles like this, there will always be friendly fire and you’re gonna need it. Don’t be too greedy. You could easily combo that guy, but make sure that doesn’t leave you exposed during your recovery. Rinse and repeat this type of tactic. Opening on the weaker ones and dancing around to reposition them. Keep them behind each other to increase the chances of friendly fire.

• I love fighting 2+ vs 1, so much more interesting then 1v1.

A couple of points to remember:

First and foremost:

Stay Alive.

• Seriously, every action you take must be one that is keeping you alive. Sometimes this involves hitting you enemy, mostly it involves staying out of their range.

Keep your enemies on one side of you.

• If you let them split up, then you are in a world of hurt and must fix this situation immediately.

Go on the offensive as soon as possible.

• They are going to think you are going to die quickly due to overwhelming numbers. They will also probably be a little greedy trying to beat their buddy to the kill. This usually gives easy first hits.
    • This involves flinching your enemies often.

Don’t Block/Parry.

• Well not unless you have to avoid being hit. You are far, far better to stay just out of range and counter their misses with hits of your own. If you get locked into a parry defensive, you’ll most likely lose eventually.

Always move.

• Not just backwards, often if an enemy is on your left and one moves to your fight, run forward. It will put them both to one side of you. Dash forward, turn around and they are both in front again, enemies expect you to back off.

Whittle down your enemies

• Since you are focusing on staying alive, you will more often then not only be attacking when an opportunity arises (their mistake, or your planning). Often this means hitting all opponents over time and not singling 1 out.

I find MAA the best class for multi vs 1 due to their maneuverability. People also seem to act a little more aggressively thinking you’ll be a push over, use this to your advantage. However all classes can do well, don’t get impatient. Archers can even do it.

Nothing beats the feeling in this game then taking on 3 or so opponents and dispatching them all without taking a hit.

Playing FFA can greatly help with the skills of 2+ vs 1.
    Stay aware and stay alive.

• I’m surprised nobody has mentioned jumping before parrying/blocking. If you’re in the air when you block an attack, you’ll be knocked back a good 10 feet, which can be invaluable if there are multiple people swinging at you at intervals where you won’t be able to block all the attacks. If you’re maa or archer, doing this will usually land you enough room to turn around and hightail it out of there. If you’re a knight or vanguard, it will just clear you enough room to be able to avoid a few attacks and charge in with a retaliation swing.

• What I usually try to do:

1. Disengage. Run away if you can unless it is vital that you engage those enmies. However, beware of chase speed and the lightness of your pursuers.

2. Try to engage at a favorable place. Ideally you want to fight somewhere where you still have room to maneuver while your enmies either cant maneuver at all or can only come at you one by one. For example, I like to fight at the zigzag wooden ramps on ruins - not only will the enemy not be able to surround you, they might even fall down a bit buying you more time. They have to somehow get up the ramp while you have all of the rooftops behind you to maneuver.

3. Stay offensive as long as possible. You cant block every attack of them and you will get surrounded sooner or later. If you cant back out, charge at them in the last moment and land the first hit - its really surprising how often this works… the enemy already thinks hell hit you first since you look defensive to him. Also, this works in 1 on 1 as well.

4. Those are several points, but they have already been discussed quite a bit. To summarize the people before me:
    be unpredictable, switch targets, keep momentum (in movement and attack). Guy in front is blocking your blows? Turn your stab in on his ally who is trying to flank you.
    abuse their wrecklessness and confidendence
    try to focus down the less armored or injured ones to even the numbers
    drag the fight until help arrives (but dont get to defensive! a turtle is easy to crack for two or more)
    and the most important by far is positioning. Abuse your surrounding and/or make sure the one who is closest to you is between you and the other guys.

5. What usually wont work: Thinking “He surely wont swing right through his mate to get a killing blow on me even if I expose myself to him”.
    Oh yes. He will. This is proabably the only thing that will work better if your enemies are higher skilled, but for the vast, vast majority of your encounters, this idea will fail you. It is hardly possible to overestimate your enemies willingness to hurt his teammates in order land a hit on you.

• I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, sorry.

1. Turn around and sprint away from the center of the mob (provided they aren’t coming from every direction).
    2. After 1-2 seconds, hit LMB and turn around.
    3. Repeat 1.

• It always helps to sprint around and keep one enemy between you and the other. It will greatly slow the other enemy down in their goal to get in fighting range and they might get hit by a team mate.

• @Caustic:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned jumping before parrying/blocking. If you’re in the air when you block an attack, you’ll be knocked back a good 10 feet, which can be invaluable if there are multiple people swinging at you at intervals where you won’t be able to block all the attacks. If you’re maa or archer, doing this will usually land you enough room to turn around and hightail it out of there. If you’re a knight or vanguard, it will just clear you enough room to be able to avoid a few attacks and charge in with a retaliation swing.

This is news to me! I am so going to try this!

• @stickytape:

@Caustic:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned jumping before parrying/blocking. If you’re in the air when you block an attack, you’ll be knocked back a good 10 feet, which can be invaluable if there are multiple people swinging at you at intervals where you won’t be able to block all the attacks. If you’re maa or archer, doing this will usually land you enough room to turn around and hightail it out of there. If you’re a knight or vanguard, it will just clear you enough room to be able to avoid a few attacks and charge in with a retaliation swing.

I am sorry, but that’s a bunch of crap.

• @acrh2:

@stickytape:

@Caustic:

I disagree, this does work, and I’ve done it myself. But I have never been able to reproduce it to a point where it becomes reliable. Sometimes a regular parry knocks you back a lot, sometimes a kick does, and if youre in midair while you get hit with one of these it may fling you back quite a distance. You can try this if you like, but dont expect it to be a reliable/predictable tool.

• the times ive done best against multiple opponents were when i kept moving.

dont back up and block, dont try to fight one at a time.

run in between them and keep moving around them as quick as possible while swinging upredictably.

• Best thing to do is to retreat to teammates if you can. Fighting two or more people at the same time is very risky, especially if just one of them knows what he is doing.

If I have no choice but to engage then I will go on the offensive and try to get them to hit each other. The last thing you want to do is turtle as they will drain your stamina in seconds and from there you are pretty much dead. Landing your first swing is also key as missing just once can often be enough to get you killed instantly. Try to circle strafe around the group and focus on horizontal swings to keep them all on their toes.

• Identify the weakest link (either through recognizing his name or seeing the guy who’s just attacking recklessly) and then push towards that guy. Ideally you can take him out with two well-placed strikes if you’ve got a one-hander, but the important part is moving forward and getting either through or around him so that his teammates finish him off or stop their attacks. This is true even in 2v1, just pounce when you can and avoid getting surrounded.

Sometimes that means running/dodging to a better position, but I prefer to play aggressive ;] It’s a lot easier to deal with multiple enemies as MAA, provided you have the space to maneuver. If you see a guy coming in for a flank, you can dodge sideways to the outside and counterattack, putting him between you and his team, or if you’re really in trouble, dodge towards more open space while turning, then sprint. Obviously this takes map/situational awareness, so make sure you’ve played long enough to recognize where in the map you are and what lies behind and to the sides of you.

An easy example is the bridge when Mason is pushing a ram to the door. Backing up on those little balconies and knowing when to jump blind to get over the ledge and fall down into the river will save you quite a few times, as the objective tends to be very push-pull. Surviving the enemy’s wave of respawns and ducking under the bridge means flanking opportunities!

• @acrh2:

I’d be more than happy to test this with you. But I should have added that you get the maximum distance if the attack is blocked within the first half of your jump, the part where you’re still going up. Should you parry while falling, you are still pushed back, just not very far. It’s become second nature to me to jump immediately before parrying when facing a group of people I know I can’t take on, and it’s been reliable every time. The weight of the opposing weapon might have a bit to do with it as well. I’ll have to test that out more. And one last thing, don’t forget to keep your eye on their weapon when you jump. I’ve had my feet chopped out from under me quite a few times because I forgot to keep my screen centered on their weapon.

• Lots of great advice here. One thing i would add, is, go for the archer first (if there is one). For 2 reasons, one he is the weakest, and 2, if you dont go for him he can back up and shoot you quite easily with no risk to himself. All the other classes have to come at you to hit you, so you have a chance to block or even strike back.

• As an archer myself, it is in your best interest not to go for the archer first and I am not saying that out of self-preservation, I am simply saying that an archer that is already on the hunt for you is clearly not simply a bow user but rather a competent melee fighter as well.

The easiest targets you’re likely to fight are vanguards. Usually too aggressive with a really slow weapon, cut them down where they stand and then focus on the other less aggressive targets. Knights can be as aggressive as vanguards, take a bit more to kill but usually no problem as knights are simply walking targets. Speed = everything.

Your toughest opponents in a 4 v 1 setting are not archers, knights or vanguards but the humble man at arms. He will make your life a misery, distracting you enough so you take your mind off the aggressive pit animals like the vanguard who are swinging wildly.

Your best tactic can be simply to manipulate the knights and vanguard to kill the man at arms. This happens a lot in random zerg groups. They aren’t prepared for your finesse or defensive skill and will literally cut down their own people to get the last blow on you. The first to die in that case are aggressive archers and man at arms.

Aggressive archers though generally don’t take part in these zerg groups. In fact if you find that an archer has pulled out his weapon earlier than risking another shot with his bow, it means that you should run the other direction because he’s probably a pro at taking you down and don’t be fooled by his weapon. If you hold a giant weapon, he favours you in melee than the man at arms who has a short weapon. Why? Because he can effectively stun lock you when he gets in range and evidently if he is charging at you (and you’re not an archer yourself) it means he’s confident he can get in range. Just run. Fighting a skilled hybrid archer in 1v1 can be tougher than fighting a group of zerging vanguards.

Just remember that enemy vanguards can be made into friends if they are very keen on using LMB. Enemy knights can be made into friends if they can’t keep up with you. Enemy man at arms can be killed by using enemy vanguards against them. Enemy archers are either hit or miss. Probably miss if they’re using a dagger, probably hit if they’re using a saber or cudgel.

• Be skilled & Have a skilled wingman!
    gODmMoDllAw
    (Not me) Its some fella by the name of Sharantil
    {End Thread}

• I find that kicking and environmental awareness is key, I got the highground Anakin, don’t do it!!

PS: Also have patience, let them hit each other too in their bloodrage.

• 1: HALBERD :lolz:
    2: FOOTWORK

That is all.

DaRk | Humblar Tabulu

• The simplest and most effective advice I can possibly give: know everything that is happening around you, at all times.

The difference between an average player and an exceptional player is the 360º radar dome in their heads, operating on sight sound and memory. If you know where every threat is, dying becomes a rare event.

I don’t really know of a way to develop this skill except through hundreds of hours of practice in games like Halo, COD, CS, whatever your game of choice. As far as I know, the skill is universally applicable to any real time multiplayer game, and nothing is more important in my opinion.

• @FrostFire626:

The simplest and most effective advice I can possibly give: know everything that is happening around you, at all times.

The difference between an average player and an exceptional player is the 360º radar dome in their heads, operating on sight sound and memory. If you know where every threat is, dying becomes a rare event.

I don’t really know of a way to develop this skill except through hundreds of hours of practice in games like Halo, COD, CS, whatever your game of choice. As far as I know, the skill is universally applicable to any real time multiplayer game, and nothing is more important in my opinion.

^^That too