Face hugging and feinting

• Please tell me I’m not the only one who thinks this is the biggest issue with Chivalry right now.Specifically I’m talking about getting very close to people or face hugging and then using feints with any weapon (although faster weapons are much deadlier). Some weapons are downright impossible to block with feints up close. You have to be turn very sharply up close and many times you can’t even see the animation! The worst part is that you have to watch them so closely and react so fast that it’s beyond human reflex speed in some cases! We desperately need something done about it.

• When you facehug an enemy its gets much harder to hit him with an OH or Stab.
    Also faster weapons need more and more hits the faster they get, so just get out of their range.

It’s not an issue, more like a tactic, which works as well as a Spear on Max Range.

• It all depends on how you or your opponent controls the flow of the battle, IF you let him that close with his feints, then you are certain to fall for them. Do not allow him to do so, by fighting back or keeping distance and you may counter these “Face hugging feints”.

No changes are needed, feints are feints afterall, they are meant to throw you off-guard.

• Like Wolfy said, it al depends on how you play.

You can effectively adopt a style that can counter feints. For example you can try to be more aggresive and when they will try to use a feint you’ll be able to hit them and you will force your opponent to a more defensive state because of that hit. This will result in a change of the combat flow.

• Straight up attacking a person after they parry your swing because you know they are going to feint is a great deterrent to feint spamming and will change the flow of combat back in your favor.

• You are about 1 and 1/2 months late.

• @Knil:

Straight up attacking a person after they parry your swing because you know they are going to feint is a great deterrent to feint spamming and will change the flow of combat back in your favor.

If the enemy uses feints correctly, i.e. by not using them all the time, it literally boils down to guessing if his next attack will be a feint or not.

It’s totally ridiculous, and amplified tenfold against fast one hand weapons which already deal almost as much damage as two handed weapons but are significantly harder to parry.

• Thank you Radiant

• Dealing with feint heavy people can be a pain, but there are things you can do to help. If someone is face hugging you, try kicking him away. I also try to stay on the offensive with them as much as possible. Some people feint too much and they’ll sometimes fail to parry/block you if you just go all out on them.

• Straight up attacking a person after they parry your swing because you know they are going to feint is a great deterrent to feint spamming and will change the flow of combat back in your favor.

Oh so THAT’S what I’ve been doing wrong! All I needed to do was to know when my enemy was going to feint! Thank you! Thank you so much!!

Feinting never, ever works like you think it does.

Anyway, there is another thread running on feinting.

• Some of the frustration certainly comes from performance problems and wonky animations, but beyond those technical details I see nothing wrong with face hugging.

If an aggressive/fast player gets inside the guard of a defensive/slow player, than by all rights the aggressor should be able to dish out some damage. Historically, the way to kill knights was to get in his face and jab pointy things through his eye slits, and I see face hugging as the game’s representation of that. It does nothing to diminish skill vs. skill.

• I cant understand to get to sides or back, but facehugging just seems weird. Maybe there should be a minimum distance for weapons to get effective?

• @AeRoTR:

I cant understand to get to sides or back, but facehugging just seems weird. Maybe there should be a minimum distance for weapons to get effective?

You can always kick your opponent to create some space between you and him. Well… you can always kick as long as you’ve got enough stamina.

• @FrostFire626:

Some of the frustration certainly comes from performance problems and wonky animations, but beyond those technical details I see nothing wrong with face hugging.

If an aggressive/fast player gets inside the guard of a defensive/slow player, than by all rights the aggressor should be able to dish out some damage. Historically, the way to kill knights was to get in his face and jab pointy things through his eye slits, and I see face hugging as the game’s representation of that. It does nothing to diminish skill vs. skill.

Wrong totally. Clearly this is your prowess and you are defending it.

Historically, that’s not how knights were killed. Nice story making though. Maces and chain maces, long axes and arrows are what killed Knights or other Knights killed Knights. Don’t know where you got your history education but basing it off other games is not historical.

The problem with face hugging is you eliminate that persons ability to use their main weapon as it just simply passes through the person. As A knight you have limited ability to get away because you are slow moving. AND YOU KNOW THAT AND HOPEFULLY THE DEVS DO TOO. The class that does this the most is the archer. They do it and use the dagger that moves at the speed of light and seems to have no effect on stamina.

• I guess this debate is revolving around a duel setting.

First the historical part. All that is said is true. Countering increasingly advanced armor (especially on top of large angry horses) have pressed the evolution of infantry weapons. Pulling a knight to the ground and attacking weak spots of his defense was effective, as was certain types of arrows and of course a number of melee weapons designed to deform or pierce armor.

I will as usual speak the case of vanguards, by many deemed as the weakest class- competent players assumed. In a duel setting, i tend to agree.

So, to face hugging and feinting In high level dueling, sword wielding vanguards have a hard time (even the glitchy halberd can barley save them). This is mainly due to face hugging and feinting. While being a viable and aggressive tactic, it is a hard counter versus Vanguards. Knights with Messer can take one hit from the claymore in exchange for closing the distance. After that, due to hugging feinting, they have a good chance to land a hit on the Van.
    Status is now: The Van can not take one more from the Messer, the knight can take one more hit from the Claymore.

Feinting can be very elegant in a Van vs Van swordfight where both apply skilled distance management and lateral movement. It is a dance to the death. Beautiful.

If a Van face a aggressive Messer Knight of equal skill, he will often be trampled / (not native Engl. user, dont know if that is the correct word.) run over by a rhino. He may land one two hits on the knight, but it feels futile. Even roflstomped as some kids would put it.

• My tactic for facehuggers is a swift kick in the abdomen followed by a swift spear to their gullet. Works every time.

• Yes, “trampled” is the correct word. :^)

• @Petroklos:

It’s not an issue, more like a tactic, which works as well as a Spear on Max Range.

Sadly, spear weapon feint spam at hugging range is incredibly powerful. If you are playing in first person, even at 120 FOV it’s difficult to even see the windup animation of spear weapons’ heavy attack at hugging range. Not to mention that those animations are pretty “static” in the first place, and you’d have to count the windup time in fractions of a second.

• Feinting is just a move that punishes playing too defensively. If you’re having people facehug and feinting you, it means you’re too timid of a player.

Get aggressive. When people get in your face, open fire. Attack them, and they’ll learn not to feint so heavily.

• @Rampage:

Feinting is just a move that punishes playing too defensively. If you’re having people facehug and feinting you, it means you’re too timid of a player.

Get aggressive. When people get in your face, open fire. Attack them, and they’ll learn not to feint so heavily.

If I get into facehugging range with you and you attack me, I will parry it. Then it’s my turn. Nothing you can do.

I am a defensive player by nature. Not aggressive.