Best weapon for Man-At-Arms discussion

• I’m really into this class. I really like the feeling of being speedy and all that. You know I tend to like thieves characters in RPGs, you know, the sneaky guy that dodges everything and ends up in your back backstabbing you.

In this game backstabbing is reduced to Archers (which sucks anyway), and there is almost no real stealth mechanic besides, well, hiding (duh).

That’s why I chose the Man-At-Arms. He at least follows the concept of the light armored fast guy that dodges everything that I like.

So to the point: What’s the best weapon for Man-At-Arms in your opinion? And why? If you think that maybe some are better depending your opponent, please explain how one is better than another against this kind of guy etc.

I’m gonna start with saying the Broadsword is amazing, it’s fast as hell, good reach, and it looks good :P . For some reason I don’t like the Falchion, the reach sucks, the damage inrease doesn’t seem to helpful in real combat, and for some reason I don’t feel it’s fast enough either. I’m gonna let the explanation to you guys :P , I’ve yet to get experience but I would like to hear the opinions of other people when it comes to the MAA.

TL;DR: What’s the best weapon for Man-At-Arms in your opinion? And why?

• I personally really like the flanged mace when using a shield, and the dane axe when not. Flanged mace is the fastest killer in your arsenal due to the ability to kill knights with two hits and a kick and the excellent overall combo speed of slash->overhead, and it’s great for super close combat with easy reach around attacks to bypass blocks. Dane axe on the otherhand is relegated mainly to spamming overheads and using its reach advantage, meaning it’s better when you’re going with the lower defense potential of playing unshielded and relying on evasion more.

Next patch the morning star is looking pretty incredible too as a middleground between mace and dane axe.

• @SlyGoat:

I personally really like the flanged mace when using a shield, and the dane axe when not. Flanged mace is the fastest killer in your arsenal due to the ability to kill knights with two hits and a kick and the excellent overall combo speed of slash->overhead, and it’s great for super close combat with easy reach around attacks to bypass blocks. Dane axe on the otherhand is relegated mainly to spamming overheads and using its reach advantage, meaning it’s better when you’re going with the lower defense potential of playing unshielded and relying on evasion more.

Next patch the morning star is looking pretty incredible too as a middleground between mace and dane axe.

What!? Flanged Mace kills Knights in two hits plus a kick!? 2 hits on the torso? Or on the head?

• Flanged mace if there’s lots of knights, otherwise I use the Dane axe. Also depends on the game mode too. I use throwing knives or oil pots, never a shield. Real MAA don’t use shields. 8-)

@ChizFreak:

What!? Flanged Mace kills Knights in two hits plus a kick!? 2 hits on the torso? Or on the head?

Headshots.

• I always seem to go for a heather shield as MAA, only because I’m too paper to survive arrow hits.

Most of the time I go for falchion since its absolutely deadly at close range, against any class. Not as effective as mace against knights, but its fast and disorients them enough to get 3 nice hits in.

• Broadsword is my go to blade. The length and speed is great and the damage isn’t too shabby. You can easily kill everything up to and including Vanguards in a two-hit combo.

• Best weapon is fists. Dodge and weave to secure the knockout.

• Why does no one enjoy the War Axe? I mean, I like surprising people with the reach of the Dane, but the War Axe just has that extra bite to it that usually eliminates the need for an extra hit, which I often experience with the Dane Axe.

• @Daiyuki:

Why does no one enjoy the War Axe? I mean, I like surprising people with the reach of the Dane, but the War Axe just has that extra bite to it that usually eliminates the need for an extra hit, which I often experience with the Dane Axe.

Because the war axe can’t do anything than the hatchet and the dane axe can. The hatchet is a lot faster and the dane axe is a lot longer.
    The dane axe hits even faster than the war axe with the overheads (not counting combos) and all the one handed axes require the exact same amount of hits to kill a healthy target.

The only exceptions are the vanguard charge where the war axe will kill an archer and a MaA with a hit to the body (the vanguard charge is sadly almost useless though) and when you’re hitting an already damaged target.

The war axe just really doesn’t have anything going for it, unless they make the stab into piercing like Martin is advocating as it got a huge nasty spike at the end of it.

• @SlyGoat:

I personally really like the flanged mace when using a shield, and the dane axe when not. Flanged mace is the fastest killer in your arsenal due to the ability to kill knights with two hits and a kick and the excellent overall combo speed of slash->overhead, and it’s great for super close combat with easy reach around attacks to bypass blocks. Dane axe on the otherhand is relegated mainly to spamming overheads and using its reach advantage, meaning it’s better when you’re going with the lower defense potential of playing unshielded and relying on evasion more.

Sly pretty much summed up how I go about it, sometimes using falchion as well. Morning star does look quite good after patch as well.

@Daiyuki:

unless they make the stab into piercing like Martin is advocating as it got a huge nasty spike at the end of it.

Would love to see this. War axe has nothing to set it apart at the moment.

• Personally I like the War Axe, feels like it has a tad more range than the Hatchet, but a tad more speed than the Dane. Morningstar feels good as well.

Also, which one is the Fanged Mace? The third one?

• Dane Axe or Flanged mace as many have said before. I tend to choose the Dane Axe solely because I want to be able to decapitate and cut off limbs :twisted:

@Salad:

Also, which one is the Fanged Mace? The third one?

The first one. Third one is Holy Water Sprinkler.

• I switch it up depending on mood and opposition, but I generally take the broadsword or falchion if I’m hunting archers or other MAA, or the morningstar or flanged mace if I’m playing more generally (as 4/5 players pick knight or vanguard because this game is so balanced!). I lag a lot (5-20 fps in melee) so I appreciate the extra reach of the morningstar. It tends to be my go-to weapon.

I find the falchion is underrated against heavy classes. It has a nice balance of speed and reach, and you have a lot of 3-hit, or 2-hit+kick options for finishing knights and vanguards. Still, it’s hard to give up the broadsword’s overall effectiveness.

The dane axe is fine, but for some reason I tend to lean towards the swords or maces.

• I prefer the broadsword, i tend to do better when i move in fast and stab, the sword works better for this style.
    I can see that people like the maces and axes but i just can’t get it to work for me, the lack of range is the problem for me. Range is much less a problem when you’re trying to stab most of the time.

• I use the HWS for dueling, the single strike speed on that thing is godlike and I think War Axe is a good hit&run weapon while Dane Axe is a good all-rounder.

I think MAA has the most balanced weapons, as I see no norm to what others wield ever since the Norse Sword nerf. They’re all fine weapons.

• Does anyone use the Cudgel? I was thinking of trying Broadsword + Cudgel for a bit. I really like the Broadsword’s versatility, but it’s not very effective against knights. I suppose though I could just stab a knight to death which would take four hits, like swings and overhands would with a cudgel. Stabs are a bit harder to land though.

Dane axe is starting to get boring at you pretty much just spam overhands.

• @T_Roy:

Does anyone use the Cudgel? I was thinking of trying Broadsword + Cudgel for a bit. I really like the Broadsword’s versatility, but it’s not very effective against knights. I suppose though I could just stab a knight to death which would take four hits, like swings and overhands would with a cudgel. Stabs are a bit harder to land though.

I <3 the cudgel, as I use it when I’m an archer (which is often these days). It’s really swift and has decent reach for a secondary. It’s geared for overheads, and paired with timely kicks I usually have no trouble dueling a knight and I’m a fair fight for a vanguard; it’s fairly hopeless against MAAs though, and not particularly great against archers.

However, despite being blunt, I don’t think it does particularly more damage to knights or vanguards than the broadsword.

• @stickytape:

@T_Roy:

Does anyone use the Cudgel? I was thinking of trying Broadsword + Cudgel for a bit. I really like the Broadsword’s versatility, but it’s not very effective against knights. I suppose though I could just stab a knight to death which would take four hits, like swings and overhands would with a cudgel. Stabs are a bit harder to land though.

I <3 the cudgel, as I use it when I’m an archer (which is often these days). It’s really swift and has decent reach for a secondary. It’s geared for overheads, and paired with timely kicks I usually have no trouble dueling a knight and I’m a fair fight for a vanguard; it’s fairly hopeless against MAAs though, and not particularly great against archers.

However, despite being blunt, I don’t think it does particularly more damage to knights or vanguards than the broadsword.

It takes 5 swings or overheads to take out a knight with a broadsword but only 4 with a cudgel. The damage difference isn’t much, but enough to take 1 less hit.

• The first mace is the best most versatile usually takes no more than 3 hits and mostly 2 to take anyone out

• I have to admit I never use my secondary as MaA even when I run broadsword/norse sword. With either sword I pretty much get into the stab and run mindset and never consider whipping out the cudgel - however the cudgel would definitely be a very useful choice against Knights with shields.

About the War Axe - really it only has two things going for it over the other axes. The first is two shotting Vanguards without needing a headshot; which is fine if you can’t aim. The second is two shotting Knights with two headshots and a kick, like the Flanged Mace; which is fine if you can aim. In either case, however, I would say next patch you’ll be much better off with the Morning Star, which will be capable of the same while having superior reach and only a minor speed disadvantage.

I would like to see the War Axe have its overhead damage increased to 80, so that it can two shot Knights to the head without the requirement of a kick. That would make its description as the strongest single hit MaA weapon accurate. Additionally giving it a stronger (~50) pierce-damage stab would be good for some variety.