Your framerate sucks Megathread 1.0

• @Chromek:

Thank you for your work, it really helps. I’d love to know which commands are responsible for “making terrain black” and strength of this “view distance fog”, because im trying to experiment with my performance now, but I can’t find proper lines

Was it that way before applying his suggestions?

• I just deleted all my config files to create fresh ones, then implemented your cfg and most of the terrain is black. Dunno why, maybe thats something on my side, but on fresh configs everything is fine (except kinda low fps).

• @Chromek:

I just deleted all my config files to create fresh ones, then implemented your cfg and most of the terrain is black. Dunno why, maybe thats something on my side, but on fresh configs everything is fine (except kinda low fps).

DirectionalLightmaps=False

Set this from False to True and the maps shouldn’t be black anymore.

• When i play on a server with more then 10 ppl my framerate goes down the drain. Is this a problem with my ram?

• @Fernando:

When i play on a server with more then 10 ppl my framerate goes down the drain. Is this a problem with my ram?

Most likely CPU. This game is very CPU intensive and it only gets more intensive as more players are on the server.

• So that means even tho my system meets the recommended system requirements, it still lags… Even tho its a great game that makes me an unhappy customer >_<

• Thanks, but even your potato config couldn’t help me.

• Minus the speed hacking scandal that I am currently defending against. I too have been looking for tweaks to make this game run at a decent level. I first found this console command and posted information here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=5235

The console command is: scale lowend And there is more information in the above link.

I also posted the INI changes I made to the system, game and engine ini files and can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=9007

Feel free to try them out. Again back up any and all default files you are testing. Go back to default if you are either having problems. Be sure to read all the instructions in the first link above as you may have to go back and change menu settings.

• I love this entire post! It made me giggle, though I’m not sure why I was reading it. Probably looking for .ini hints, though .inis are usually pretty readable to me.

Oh, right, because even on my beast of my machine I get random slowdown sometimes, usually on Moor, and it seems to have to do with the lighting effects. Someone in Interitus told me how to disable that annoying blinding sunlight that comes from over the lake and it seems to have mitigated the issue, though everything looks pretty drab now =[

Anyone else had random slowdowns rather than constant FPS losses?

• I noticed that on my Intel Wolfdale e8200 (overclocked to 3.2 GHz), setting the priority of UDK.exe (from Task Manager) to High, gave a visible boost to FPS.
    The game is very CPU dependable. MSI afterburner reports that my GTX 260 is used around 40%.

• I just wanted to add that one frame thread lag reduces stutter, almost doubles fps and is used (by default) in almost every game released today. RO2 had an option for it but later removed the option and just left it in by default.

• @Peregrine7:

I just wanted to add that one frame thread lag reduces stutter, almost doubles fps and is used (by default) in almost every game released today. RO2 had an option for it but later removed the option and just left it in by default.

do you know the cvar config setting or was this an option in those game’s menus? If you can find us an example of the cvar it maybe possible to find it within the game engine for testing.

• Also, does anyone know how to get rid of that weird stutter? I made a post about it here: http://www.reddit.com/r/ChivalryGame/co … _every_30/

I just heard it may only be on duel servers.

• @Peregrine7:

Also, does anyone know how to get rid of that weird stutter? I made a post about it here: http://www.reddit.com/r/ChivalryGame/co … _every_30/

I just heard it may only be on duel servers.

Are you using an AMD video card?

• I have a pretty good PC and even after disabling a lot of stuff my framerate still sucks… plus after I installed the game the fps in other games I play started sucking too. I think vcredist messed up

• Here are some tweaks that may help you. Make sure you create a back up of the INI files you tweak then try these changes.
    –---------------------------------------

Go into your UDKEngine.ini file located in Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config, and ctrl + F “maxchannels”. You should see (the unedited version of) this:

[XAudio2.XAudio2Device]

MaxChannels=32

CommonAudioPoolSize=109

MinCompressedDurationGame=3

IIRC, the defaults were 64, 0, and 1. But yeah, switch them to that.

Then right below those values:

[ALAudio.ALAudioDevice]

MaxChannels=32

CommonAudioPoolSize=109

MinCompressedDurationGame=3

Do the same thing.

Also in the SystemSettings.ini, I found this one really helps as well:

OnlyStreamInTextures=True

–-------------------------------------

Open BaseEngine.ini with Notepad. Note: You may want to create a backup of this file if you’re worried you’ll mess things up.

Push Ctrl+F (The Find window should pop up).

Type bSmoothFrameRate into the box.

Click Find Next.

Change TRUE to FALSE. The line should now look thike this: bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE.

Exit the Find window.

Exit Notepad and click Save when prompted.

• @btz:

These hints are quite useful, it does increase fps really well on potato style computers. The only thing that annoys me about this config is how it limits view range. It’s hard to play archer class hehe.

Anyway, do you know which settings are for this fog and view range? Because on your cfg view range is pretty limited and I don’t know what causes that. :(

Can someone reply to this guy? Someone suggested something they didn’t test, and it didn’t work. I want good fps, but I don’t want to be at a disadvantage by having such close fog archers can hide behind.

Want to increase look distance.

• Another way of increasing your FPS is by watching by watching the video in my sig.

Its a texture compressor program. It uses mount and blade as the example but instead of selecting the mount and blade folder select the chivalry folder instead. It works for a lot of different games and was originally made for skyrim.

• when im alone on the map or in training , i have 50-20 fps, when i join populated server, fps drops to 15-5 fps :D before last update all was ok. and i dont have any problem in other games.

my pc is
    win7
    i3 CPU 540, 3,07GHz
    4GB RAM,
    Radeon HD 6770 512 DDR5
    video driver is 2 days old :)
    changes in settings.ini files dont help, all settings are set to low
    and game starts only in window mode, cant start it in full screen, have to change it ingame :)

• i found what was wrong, my CPU temperature was 94C under high load,so CPU frequence was reduced to save CPU from burning :) i removed my thermopaste and reinstalled CPU fan, all seems ok now :)