New weapon suggestion: Pike

• I propose that you add a new weapon: the pike. This weapon should have:

1.a length of spear 2x

2.a very slow speed, slightly slower than maul.

3.a moderate damage output.

4.no swinging, only stab and overhead.

This weapon should be:

1.A great addition to the game, since it is something new and not simply another sword or bow.

2.Fun to play with. A completely different melee ‘perspective’ to play with.

3.Better for teamwork than soloing. This is due to the weapon being slow and hard to fight with, should the enemy get close.

The End.

• Isn’t a pike very similar to the spear? :?

• Should be able to just have everyone crouch and form a spear wall. Anyone that touches it will get hurt. MMA will cry that day!

• sounds nice

• No stab or overhead either. It works by charging full sprint into someone!!!

#swagathaalldayeverday

• I don’t agree with that ReMixx, or were you joking?

The pike should be able to overhead and stab.

@Metrocop
    The pike is far from being similar to the spear. The spear is a versatile, flexible weapon - just like all melee weapons in the game so far. The pike on the other hand would be a no go in 1 on 1, unless your enemy is a daydreaming recruit who isn’t listening or you have a good combat awareness. The long reach and slow speed would be effective in some situations, but pretty weak in others - forcing the pikeman to switch to a faster secondary weapon.

• Pikes are very long and very heavy (heavier than medieval Zweihanders even). I feel that such a weapon may be out of place gameplay-wise (not authenticity-wise), since all other weapons are completely incomparable in range.

• This weapon alone would need a whole new gameplay mechanic where you dont deal as much/no damage when the enemy is close to you. Otherwise the weapon would be completely overpowered. Just keep poking at your enemy and he will never be able to close the gap without getting hit. And even if you close in, how are you supposed to parry to the weapons tip if the tip is several metres behind you? Because of that and because there are no weapon dead zones and because weapons dont have collision in Chivalry the pike’s greatest weakness - uselesness in close quarter - would be pretty much negated… maybe if you make the pike slower than the maul, but overall I dont think it would fit in with the current game mechanic.

Its really a formation fight weapon.

• Yes the pike is a formation weapon. But who says Chivalry can’t have formations? Not necessarily tight formations, but just people banding together in a line or something like that?

Actually i have an idea to make the pike very weak in close combat: disable blocking with it. This means that people will HAVE to change weapon in close combat, unless they want to see their heads chopped off.

• No thanks. Firepots work nicely.

• This would be awesome to use with a shield-wall in front of you! :)

• @Elminster:

Actually i have an idea to make the pike very weak in close combat: disable blocking with it. This means that people will HAVE to change weapon in close combat, unless they want to see their heads chopped off.

Im not sure about that. Your opponent will have a hard time getting in range to hit you if you simply keep poking at him. I can already do that with knight 2-hand swords against someone with a short weapon like mace to some effect, with a pike this would be nearly imbossible to stop since you cant push the weapon aside like in real life. Also, parrying a weapon requires you to look at its tip in this game, how are you going to do that if the tip is way behind your character?
    Even without the ability to parry, this weapon would probably wreck anyone in melee as long as you see him coming. Especially since you still can kick.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to see formations and tight formation fights, especially with lots of people! And Im a fan of pikemen, phalanx formations etc… I jsut have some heavy doubts that it would work in Chivalry. Though if there will ever be a mod that gets it done right somehow, Id play the shit out of it.

• I like to know more about that weapon and it’s mechanic… It’s quite interesting.

• The thing is, if the game core prevents very cool features, then the game core needs to be improved. I don’t know how the game will work with weapons hitting at their non-lethal point though.

In mount and blade, with all the flaws it had, weapons needed space to be effective, or they would just hit with a glancing blow. This feature, though not the only solution, could provide the neccesary mechanics to make pikes feasible.

• @Elminster:

Mount and blade, with all the flaws it had, weapons needed space to be effective, or they would just hit with a glancing blow. This feature, though not the only solution, could provide the neccesary mechanics to make pikes feasible.

Of course it would be possible. The thing is just that Chivalry is currently balanced without these features and weapons being as deadly with the blade was with the wooden shaft. Introducing a MB like system would be a huge amount of work, and Im not sure if it would really improve the game.

And then the pike - if it would only be lethal if you hit with the pikes tip… would that weapon be pretty much useless anytime it is not part of a huge pike wall?
    Not saying it cant be done, but it would be a ton of work and you need to really think it through.

• I think weapons which encourage switching to a secondary are a good idea. Just make their secondary decent. A pike would be great if the reach was very long and you could use it to help a second player who is in melee.

• @gregcau:

I think weapons which encourage switching to a secondary are a good idea. Just make their secondary decent. A pike would be great if the reach was very long and you could use it to help a second player who is in melee.

But how do you imagine switching pike to other weapon? It should be dropped on the ground or something, because i cant imagine a vanguard running arround with 7meter stick behind his back…