HALBERDS

• Its un-balanced to say the least, the speed and damage is being exploited by high level players. That should be a big red warning sign right there. Swinging it needs to eat up alot more stamina than current. And slowed down alittle. LoL see how much it gets used then by the higher level players then.

I could be toe to toe with someone using the halbred, almost face to face, yet his halbred wins. Thats what is being exploited, like the range on it does not matter. or the speed/parry. should be taken out of the game till balanced… I dont see the skill in it, I see it being exploited though.

• Halberd is getting a small nerf in the upcoming patch.

• @SlyGoat:

Halberd is getting a small nerf in the upcoming patch.

Patch notes?

• viewtopic.php?f=80&t=7599

Halberd isn’t nearly as OP as a lot of other weapons such as the hatchet, falchion, war hammer, and even the cudgel. I’m probably the highest level player right now, and one of the highest skill leveled players. I do better with the great sword than the halberd, and I do way better with the brandistock in competitive clan battles than the halberd. The halberd does need some minor nerfing but not too much. It was REALLY OP in the beta. Thankfully the billhook is getting the buffs it needs, which is something Martin suggested: switching billhook and halberd speeds.

If you’re getting beat by the halberd, think and fight them differently than usual. Remember they have no shields, and vanguards are just archer fodder. Not to mention there’s plenty of 1h weapons that are faster/better such as the hatchet and falchion. The range on the halberd isn’t as scary as you think it is, so just keep fighting it and you’ll learn to beat it more consistently. Sure its long feints are deadly, but any weapon can feint you effectively. Work on only parrying right before you take damage, and if you’re using shields then keep your sides covered well. Don’t attack until you’re clearly in range, and don’t fall for sidesteps. Mouse dragging is your best friend.

• @SOC:

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=7599

Halberd isn’t nearly as OP as a lot of other weapons such as the hatchet, falchion, war hammer, and even the cudgel. I’m probably the highest level player right now, and one of the highest skill leveled players. I do better with the great sword than the halberd, and I do way better with the brandistock in competitive clan battles than the halberd. The halberd does need some minor nerfing but not too much. It was REALLY OP in the beta. Thankfully the billhook is getting the buffs it needs, which is something Martin suggested: switching billhook and halberd speeds.

If you’re getting beat by the halberd, think and fight them differently than usual. Remember they have no shields, and vanguards are just archer fodder. Not to mention there’s plenty of 1h weapons that are faster/better such as the hatchet and falchion. The range on the halberd isn’t as scary as you think it is, so just keep fighting it and you’ll learn to beat it more consistently. Sure its long feints are deadly, but any weapon can feint you effectively. Work on only parrying right before you take damage, and if you’re using shields then keep your sides covered well. Don’t attack until you’re clearly in range, and don’t fall for sidesteps. Mouse dragging is your best friend.

It’s close pokes that are the problem for me. One feint is all they need to land a hit because I have to parry at the last moment of the windup when in a halberdier’s face because of instant damage on release at that range. It’s actually an advantage to be close for the polearm wielder if they can block your closing strike.

Vs just spam poking it’s certainly easy to win, but I don’t see how the brandistock could be better when it’s a lot easier to flinch someone out of its slower poke up close and a lot more forgiving on block timing. Overall halberd is not too ridiculous, but it’s certainly more effective than it should be on basically every attack type; there’s no reason to pick any other polearm because it’s good at everything. All the others except the billhook are certainly useful in their own way, but aren’t a clear advantage while having less versatility.

• halberd in beta looked a lot more balanced. stab speed reduced, stamina consumption up. at least that was my impression.