Idea: Instead of global voice chat, how about localized?

• Imagine being able to run up, kick somebody’s ass and then taunt them however you like without the whole server having to hear… or plotting sneakily with a buddy without announcing your intent to the whole server.

I think the voice chat in this game would be much improved if this were the case. As it is now, the voice chat is quiet, buggy, skippy, and not very useful.

Clans and buddies would still be able to use mumble or teamspeak for consistent chat.

• @hyperfriend:

Clans and buddies would still be able to use mumble or teamspeak for consistent chat.

This doesn’t suit the average player who is not in a clan trying to vocally communicate with his teammates/server.

There’s no need to promote taunting/trolling in-game. As you said, you’re free to use mumble if you want to sneakily plot with a buddy.

• I would like this.
    This way you know if you can hear someone, that they’re talking to you and are next to you, and not halfway across the map. If I say “Knight behind you, face to!” the guy I’m talking to will get my message.
    Generic mid-duel banter with your enemies would also be fun and immersive, and it wouldn’t bother the whole team, just the two involved in the clash of swords.

At the moment no one uses the voice chat to communicate with their team anyway. And it’s public, not team localised, so your enemies would hear your “amazing strategies” anyway.

Clan members already use Teamspeak, Ventrillo or Mumble, and friends usually use Steam Voice Call.

• Is there a reason why we can’t have both?

• @Cheesus:

Is there a reason why we can’t have both?

Good point.

• @PedroFromHell:

@Cheesus:

Is there a reason why we can’t have both?

Good point.

Indeed that’s a fair point, but I would still prefer to have local chat at least as an option.

• I have been thinking about this myself, good to see some people are behind it!

• I think localized voice chat would be AMAZING. It should be up to server admins to set localized or global, and each server should display which one it is in the server list so you can choose the type of chat that appeals to you. Personally I think localized would be really cool because it would feel more like an actual battle where you can only communicated with the people close to you, and nearby enemies can overhear your plans as well.

It would also be really cool if characters moved their lips while they talked, and if the sound was directional (like in Skyrim and other games) so you could tell who was talking to you.

• Localised as default, all-talk by admin command.