Best Sword for Vanguard?

• Hi all - I love vanguard and it is pretty much all I use.

I love the greatsword because I am the most used to it.

I am wondering if the claymore is better because of it’s speed.

I am also trying to understand how the damage works, in other words do all 3 vanguard swords take the same number of hits to kill a person?

Also when you are doing the vanguard running attack - I heard that you can one shot any class if you hit them in the head/neck

So my question is do I aim for the neck or the head?

Also when you do an overhead and you look down, do you immediately look down as soon as you start to swing or do you wait a sec for the sword to be almost straight up in the air before you look down.

Thanks

ingame name: Achilles

• Greatsword is a very good all-rounder. Claymore is faster (very fast stab), so it’s ideal for feinting. Zweihander is very slow, but has the longest reach and highest damage (one-shots archer/MAA on head). Zweihander can really shine in TO, where high-damage single hits are ideal against people’s flanks/backs. Claymore on the other hand can be very powerful in dueling due to its high feinting potentials. Nonetheless, I’d recommend using whichever weapon you are familiar with, allow its speed and reach become second nature. Personally I use Zweihander for both duels and battles.

Against other vanguards, all two-handed swords require two hits to kill an enemy. It’s possible that with a Claymore or Greatsword you may need 3 hits to kill someone if you stabbed their legs twice (20% reduced damage). That is not an issue with Zweihander. Zweihander is also the only weapon that can kill a knight in 2 hits, if both hits landed on the head.

Charge attack deals increased damage, similar to an overhead attack, so a head attack hurts, yes. It’s not easy to hit people in the heads with a charged sword attack though, due to the way the camera aims down during the leap. Neck and head are the same thing.

Immediately looking down while using Overhead immensely speeds up the attack. It’s more of an exploit than a proper technique I feel, and chances are some penalties may be introduced later on when landing an attack onto the ground, rendering this method useless. I wouldn’t rely on it.

One final word. Swords are hardly the most powerful weapons for Vanguard. Halberd is superior in battle, while spear is superior in duels. Some argue that Halberd is the best weapon Vanguard has.

• I’d say it depends on your playstyle.

• @GhoXen:

Greatsword is a very good all-rounder. Claymore is faster (very fast stab), so it’s ideal for feinting. Zweihander is very slow, but has the longest reach and highest damage (one-shots archer/MAA on head). Zweihander can really shine in TO, where high-damage single hits are ideal against people’s flanks/backs. Claymore on the other hand can be very powerful in dueling due to its high feinting potentials. Nonetheless, I’d recommend using whichever weapon you are familiar with, allow its speed and reach become second nature. Personally I use Zweihander for both duels and battles.

Against other vanguards, all two-handed swords require two hits to kill an enemy. It’s possible that with a Claymore or Greatsword you may need 3 hits to kill someone if you stabbed their legs twice (20% reduced damage). That is not an issue with Zweihander. Zweihander is also the only weapon that can kill a knight in 2 hits, if both hits landed on the head.

Charge attack deals increased damage, similar to an overhead attack, so a head attack hurts, yes. It’s not easy to hit people in the heads with a charged sword attack though, due to the way the camera aims down during the leap. Neck and head are the same thing.

Immediately looking down while using Overhead immensely speeds up the attack. It’s more of an exploit than a proper technique I feel, and chances are some penalties may be introduced later on when landing an attack onto the ground, rendering this method useless. I wouldn’t rely on it.

One final word. Swords are hardly the most powerful weapons for Vanguard. Halberd is superior in battle, while spear is superior in duels. Some argue that Halberd is the best weapon Vanguard has.

Thank you for the in depth reply. Seems I need to start using the halbred more - not sure if I have to unlock it or not?

My playstyle is pretty standard I think… I do a lot of overhands and stabs,I also like to duck.

I usually keep my distance and move in and out… feints when I can.

I don’t do very many combos, I am so used to doing 1 hit at a time.

I have an aggressive play style where I will charge into a pack of people etc… need to work on that :D

• Just because Halberd is superior, it doesn’t really mean you are forced to use it in order to excel at the game. Use whatever weapon you like most and enjoy most. Using a weapon with a wooden stick attached isn’t my personal image for Vanguard, so I’ve stayed with Zweihander.

• Due to a timing bug the Greatsword is superior to the Claymore right now because it can perform certain combos faster than the Claymore can - meaning it’s better in all aspects when used right. Claymore is still faster for single hits, but the reach disadvantage is painful. Damage does not matter, they both require the same hits to kill.

Zweihander IMO is the best Vanguard sword, and will be even better in the next update when it gets a 15 damage boost on its strongest attack, allowing it to reliably kill Knights in 2 hits with overheads with one headshot. Its long windups and slow release times can be used to your advantage by dragging your attacks into or away from enemies so that your attack timings are always deceptive - essentially like feinting without feinting. It also has very good reach. Because of its long windup and recovery, though, you have to pay much more attention to distance, you never want the enemy to be close enough to hit you before or after your attack is in motion. This can also make it problematic against a good Man-at-Arms, but since it has the ability to kill a MaA in one hit as well as superior reach, it’s still the best sword against them.

I would say the Zweihander is significantly harder to use than the other two swords, though, so you may not want to start focusing on it until you’ve got a solid grasp of the easier swords. Playing some spear vanguard can help you learn to appreciate controlling distance as well.

• Zweihander is getting buffed? Happy day.

• @Park:

I have an aggressive play style where I will charge into a pack of people etc… need to work on that :D

Use the maul. Maul > everything else

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Park:

Use the maul. Maul > everything else

Polehammer - the maul of vanguards.

• I’ve always used the greatsword, it has a really overpowered combo when you throw off someone’s timing on parries, if you LMB-feint-LMB (assuming they fall for the feint) and combo stab right after, you’re certain to kill anyone except knights. On knights just rinse and repeat. Just make them parry for a bit though with back and forth swinging to make sure you’re not trading worthless feints for damage.

• @Boris:

I’ve always used the greatsword, it has a really overpowered combo when you throw off someone’s timing on parries, if you LMB-feint-LMB (assuming they fall for the feint) and combo stab right after, you’re certain to kill anyone except knights. On knights just rinse and repeat. Just make them parry for a bit though with back and forth swinging to make sure you’re not trading worthless feints for damage.

Lol @ random calling of overpowered on a simple combo.