Balancing official servers

• For noobs and most people having a close fought match makes for the most entertainment.

So on Official servers rather than being allowed to pick your side have it auto assign you and just before the match begins auto balance based upon rank.

Ideally if you add up the total ranks of each team it should be near even.

Obviously you would need to notify players to which side they were auto assigned. Likely it would be just one high ranked player that would need to be switched to even up the numbers.

This would help prevent 4 high ranked friends from joining the same side and dominating the game using Teamspeak or Vent.

Of course there are plenty of non-official servers they could do that on.

Further on autobalance If a side is losing and players leaving, the autobalance should pick players with the highest kills or rank to move over to the losing side.

• @gregcau:

Further on autobalance If a side is losing and players leaving, the autobalance should pick players with the highest kills or rank to move over to the losing side.

So let’s punish the good players for doing so well on the attacking team by forcing them to be auto balanced to the losing defending team the last 2 minutes of the game and make them pay for all the hard work they just did and make them lose. kk, just like auto balance last patch.

No. Currently auto balance usually only targets players who joined the game/team later than other players, which makes the most sense and I like. If you don’t like 4 high skilled friends pubstomping your server, go join a different one, or get skilled and find 3 other high skilled friends to pubstomp back with.

• @SOC:

@gregcau:

So let’s punish the good players for doing so well on the attacking team by forcing them to be auto balanced to the losing defending team the last 2 minutes of the game and make them pay for all the hard work they just did and make them lose. kk, just like auto balance last patch.

No. Currently auto balance usually only targets players who joined the game/team later than other players, which makes the most sense and I like. If you don’t like 4 high skilled friends pubstomping your server, go join a different one, or get skilled and find 3 other high skilled friends to pubstomp back with.

The issue with this is you turn away a ton of new players from the game. If you think the game is fun and want it to continue to thrive, then there needs to be some form of balance. No one likes buying a new game and getting destroyed over and over.

The “Find another server” mentality does not work either. If it’s the clan server, I understand, but suppose all clans were to adopt this mentality (many do, and many servers are stacked). You’d just have a load of (official) servers where new players are unfairly discriminated against in team balance.

Your whole “punish them by swapping them in the last 2 minutes” seems misguided as well, I believe there’s an algorithm that prevents you from being swapped when it’s near the end of the game, and this time can easily be widened. No one is trying to “punish good players” here, we are trying to create an environment that doesn’t punish new players for being new.

• The previous implementation of autobalance always swapped the player who was doing the best to the losing team, and everyone hated it. I see this being the same way.

• @SlyGoat:

The previous implementation of autobalance always swapped the player who was doing the best to the losing team, and everyone hated it. I see this being the same way.

Ugh that was horrible!

Especially when it swapped the same person many times in a matter of minutes. Autobalance was the worst troll in the game.

• This “new players should be able to beat players who are good” mentality seems misguided. It’s called practice. You don’t simply pick up a game and smash people at it. Where did this idea even come from? I wouldn’t expect to come into a new game and beat a veteran… I would work on trying to become less of a free kill and do what I can to improve, not come onto the forums and call for skill nerfs.

“You’re rank 45? You get a 25% hp reduction at spawn and run at half speed to make it fair for new players!”

• @Slaughtervomit:

This “new players should be able to beat players who are good” mentality seems misguided. It’s called practice. You don’t simply pick up a game and smash people at it. Where did this idea even come from? I wouldn’t expect to come into a new game and beat a veteran… I would work on trying to become less of a free kill and do what I can to improve, not come onto the forums and call for skill nerfs.

“You’re rank 45? You get a 25% hp reduction at spawn and run at half speed to make it fair for new players!”

That is not what I’m calling for :P, nor would I want anything that directly gimps anyone’s personal ability to perform or gives them an edge. Perhaps the autobalance was broken before, but it can be modified.

And practice is great, but the game is a GAME for many people, and sometimes they feel like winning every once in a while before putting 50+ hours into the game. That becomes more and more difficult with team stacking.

The only reason I’m bringing it up is for increasing the longevity of the game. Not necessarily to shit on the team stackers’ parades.

• @Derpasaur:

The issue with this is you turn away a ton of new players from the game. If you think the game is fun and want it to continue to thrive, then there needs to be some form of balance. No one likes buying a new game and getting destroyed over and over.

The “Find another server” mentality does not work either. If it’s the clan server, I understand, but suppose all clans were to adopt this mentality (many do, and many servers are stacked). You’d just have a load of (official) servers where new players are unfairly discriminated against in team balance.

Your whole “punish them by swapping them in the last 2 minutes” seems misguided as well, I believe there’s an algorithm that prevents you from being swapped when it’s near the end of the game, and this time can easily be widened. No one is trying to “punish good players” here, we are trying to create an environment that doesn’t punish new players for being new.

When I was a new player to this game, I went like 3-35 every game and got stomped over and over and over again. And I LOVED it. I kept trying, kept fighting, never gave up and started learning. I learned about weapon damages. I learned about the classes. I did all these things all new players must go through in any competitive game in order to get better, and Chivalry does it just fine.

I play on official servers A LOT solo and I very, very rarely come across “stacked” teams of any sort. If I do and don’t feel like fighting them, I just go to a different official server np. I’ve never had any issue with this in my 500+ hours of playing. This game isn’t turning away new players at all, you can tell by the sales that this game is thriving with population.

Currently there is a code that prevents auto balance in the last 2 minutes, but even in the last 5 minutes would be soul crushing. I go 59-5 on defending only to get auto balanced with 3 and a half minutes left? You don’t think that’s a problem?

Why should I be punished for another’s lack of skill? They’re gonna’ have to learn eventually, we all did and we all loved it. I don’t see any issue here.

• @SOC:

@gregcau:

Ok so leave the autobalance code as is.

But balance by rank the initial starting game on official servers.

Nothing fun when you are getting stomped and you press tab and see your team is all rank under 3 and the other team has 5 or 6 over over rank 20.

• That defeats the purpose of letting players pick what team they want to play on. Some favor one side either because they prefer being mason/agatha or they prefer being attacker/defender - that’s why the option to pick your side exists.