The King Indicator:

• I imagine this has been discussed before, but I can’t find anything when I search around in the forums….

On the map where you have to kill the King (still getting familiar with the maps and game) there is this huge indicator pointing at the king at all times. I imagine this is there for some balance purpose for the attackers, but to me it seems it makes the objective a bit too easy.

Just a day or two ago I played this map and as an Archer with Spear, I ran through, speared a Vanguard and a Knight, rushed through the Melee around me and hacked down the king with my short sword, winning the game. Now at first I thought “Cool, look at me”… but then I started to think about it.

It shouldn’t have been that easy for me to find the King and head straight at him.

IMO, the only thing you should have to detect the King is by using your eyes and mashing through his forces to get to him. Every time I played that map as Attacker (my preferred side on that map) we have always won.

If the indicator was removed, it’d give it a bit more challenge and allow for some more interesting tactics for both sides.

The King could slip away from the battle and hide somewhere easier… giving an advantage for the defenders… but not so much of an advantage as the King could only head in one direction, which is towards the attackers and would be spotted very quickly when away from his forces.

Right now, with the indicator, it’s just like a non stop mash towards one specific spot all the time… Right at the King because you always know where he is.

It makes me recall back to the Team Fortress Classic days with the map “Hunted”… you had one team that had to protect the chubby VIP guy who only had an umbrella to defend himself with. There was no indicator on him, yet it wasn’t difficult to eventually find him and take him down.

In this game/map, the King has some pretty good weaponry and movement to keep himself alive.

Maybe there’s something I’m missing as a new player, but it just seems too easy to kill him with that big blue Arrow pointing at his head the whole time.

• You’re probably the only person to complain that killing the King is too easy. Playing against a clearly weak team and easily killing him one time isn’t justification for the objective being too easy considering he’s at the far end of a castle teeming with enemies and has 300 health in addition to Knight damage reduction bonuses.

• @Daiyuki:

You’re probably the only person to complain that killing the King is too easy. Playing against a clearly weak team and easily killing him one time isn’t justification for the objective being too easy considering he’s at the far end of a castle teeming with enemies and has 300 health in addition to Knight damage reduction bonuses.

I didn’t say it was just one time…. but as an Archer with a short sword a day or two ago was the latest. I killed the King as a Knight as well, another time as a Vanguard, and as mentioned before, every single time I have played as the attacker on that map, our team has won.

And I don’t stick to just one server, I randomly pick whichever one has a decent ping with a decent amount of players… so if I continually kept ending up against a “Clearly Weak” team of defenders to win each time… those are some pretty interesting statistics in my favor. :?

• Trust me, OP, killing the king is probably the 2nd most daunting objective behind pushing the bombcart. In 32-man and above servers its pretty much impossible, unless the other team is really awful.

• Maybe Aussie servers are just small? I don’t know. I can GET to the King easily enough most times, but… then what? I can’t kill him in 3 seconds and after that time limit there’s minimum 6 angry blues behind me attacking madly. I can dart around and block for a little while, but the one-man offensive is gone after a few strikes, which may have been mostly blocked if the King is at all competent.

Running up with an archer and taking him out with a shortsword (which would take, what, 10 hits? More?) without a problem is just… lol. I kind of want to find these servers you get so I can go 52-0.

• @Daiyuki:

Maybe Aussie servers are just small? I don’t know. I can GET to the King easily enough most times, but… then what? I can’t kill him in 3 seconds and after that time limit there’s minimum 6 angry blues behind me attacking madly. I can dart around and block for a little while, but the one-man offensive is gone after a few strikes, which may have been mostly blocked if the King is at all competent.

Running up with an archer and taking him out with a shortsword (which would take, what, 10 hits? More?) without a problem is just… lol. I kind of want to find these servers you get so I can go 52-0.

Well I whacked him about 6 times as he kept missing, I got a whack in the back from someone, and I’m sure the King took a few blows from other team mates… I’m not saying I took him and the entire team on single handedly, but so far in my experience on 24-32 player servers, the stage of the map where you have to kill the King lasts about 3 minutes before he’s dead.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57672 … 90B5CFBD4/

Anyways, is it a bad idea to remove the indicator?

• @Daiyuki:

You’re probably the only person to complain that killing the King is too easy.

Just my thoughts… if only the Agathians are full of average players it’s pretty hard to knock him down. But if they’re doing a good job defending the king it’s nearly impossible.

• I do agree the indicators for a lot of things are really not needed… Killing the king is not easy, however. I think that being king doesn’t make you a superhuman and regular health would be just fine.

• Well it’s typically one of the hardest objectives to attack when you have a vaguely competent team, but given the map layout where else is the King going to hide?

The back wall where defenders spawn is the safest spot anyway, as the attackers can be seen coming a mile off through one of 3 narrow doors/routes which archers generally spam arrows at.

• @AngryDave:

Well it’s typically one of the hardest objectives to attack when you have a vaguely competent team, but given the map layout where else is the King going to hide?

True, but at least the King can blend into the group a lot better, which would also draw people into focusing on the people in front of them first to identify and removal of the thread, rather than just running past everyone and run straight to the Arrow.

For balance, perhaps just increase the timer for the round if the arrow is removed…. I know the King is an important objective, but killing peasant are an important objective too and you have to hunt around for them amongst the enemy without an Arrow over their heads.

Just kind of loses that fun of hunting the King down as well as trying to kill him.

It would at least help push people into more team work like telling others where they spotted the King, etc.

As it stands now, there’s little team work overall, people just plow towards the Big Blue Arrow… or is it Teal?

• I hoped this would be a thread about how intensely annoying it is to try to snipe the king as an archer when all you can see is a giant blue arrow. The arrow/indicator obscures the king entirely at range. It should appear above him, not over him.

• @stickytape:

I hoped this would be a thread about how intensely annoying it is to try to snipe the king as an archer when all you can see is a giant blue arrow. The arrow/indicator obscures the king entirely at range. It should appear above him, not over him.

In beta I found that was a huge issue with the trebuchet objective as well, when the progress bars were frozen on screen and got bigger the further away you were. People were completely hidden behind a giant white bar! Never noticed the king indicator so much, I mean, it’s right where he is so… aim at it =p I dunno, I tend to think arching on that objective is kind of silly in the first place unless you’re just counter-arching.

• @Daiyuki:

@stickytape:

I hoped this would be a thread about how intensely annoying it is to try to snipe the king as an archer when all you can see is a giant blue arrow. The arrow/indicator obscures the king entirely at range. It should appear above him, not over him.

In beta I found that was a huge issue with the trebuchet objective as well, when the progress bars were frozen on screen and got bigger the further away you were. People were completely hidden behind a giant white bar! Never noticed the king indicator so much, I mean, it’s right where he is so… aim at it =p I dunno, I tend to think arching on that objective is kind of silly in the first place unless you’re just counter-arching.

A lot of kings just pace back and forth, and if there is a lack of archers on their team, sometimes it is worth sniping him to soften him up between waves. I landed about 8 good warbow/bodkin shots on a king in this fashion once, but it would have been a hell of a lot easier if I could actually see him.

Can’t imagine how annoying that treb thing would have been!

• Does pressing H in-game take away that King indicator then? For all you guys that seem to dislike it; since I’m not personally bothered by any of the small indicators in any of the maps, I never press it except by accident, but try it if you really hate them.

• @stickytape:

@Daiyuki:

@stickytape:

A lot of kings just pace back and forth, and if there is a lack of archers on their team, sometimes it is worth sniping him to soften him up between waves. I landed about 8 good warbow/bodkin shots on a king in this fashion once, but it would have been a hell of a lot easier if I could actually see him.

Can’t imagine how annoying that treb thing would have been!

One reason I swap a bow/crossbow to jav if im usuing one due to that giant arrow, getting in close with a jav to the head works well if hes lightly guarded, careless, or you get a lucky shot through the crowd (I’m a Pilum lover so). Though with a good team I agree this is one of the most difficult (and often fun/rewarding and sometimes down right aggravating) tasks in larger servers. Having a smaller indicator would be ok by me, but as is works aswell, forces you to turn it off or get closer.

Glad I missed that giant bar…. sounds nasty.

• I would say 90% of the time the king dies.

But without the indicator damn it would drop to 10% - I mean you would have to attack everyone to find the king.

A strong team would focus on protecting the king but since most people run around for kills that is why the king is left with minimal protection.

• @stickytape:

Press the “H” key :)