Vanguard rant

• Left-click spamming Vanguards got you down? Press the duck button and profit.

I’m not complaining because I suck against vanguards or Knights, I eat em for breakfast :k1: its more that I’m sad that gamers dont like learning and employing skill innately.

e.g. like Call of Duty most ppl just nub up and get the submachine gun and run around like silly people because their just trying to win not learn the map or the technicalness of the games spawn system and so on which would make you alot better. So, In summary innately there wussehs searching for the easiest solution to the problem with no creativity or skill but just logic simple click a button your dead sillyness that I wish would stop :x

• I only tend to hate the vanguards who win by lmb mashing. I almost exclusively overhead and stab… I rarely combo because I think combos are stupid :P

There is a technique that can be used with big 2h weapons, it’s just overshadowed by lmb spam.

I totally agree with anyone who says lmb spam should cost more stamina or something and also halberd is dumb…

That lmb mashing also sucks when knights and MAA use it too… vanguards just have more reach and get you with it easier…

• Vanguards are primarily chosen because of their strength, decent armour, long reach and wide sweeps. For new players, this is a nice starting place for them because it is easy to get hits and deal some damage, (to other people who don’t know how to deal with it).

I agree his swings can be a bit TOO wide sometimes though, I’ve got hit when stood BEHIND one before. The MAA is actually the pinnacle of Chiv gameplay, however he takes quite a bit of skill to play well, so is better for experienced players.

Also how to deal with a vanguard:

1. Pick an archer class.
    2. Enjoy the rage.

• @BobT36:

1. Pick an archer class.
    2. Enjoy the rage.

I use the rage to fuel my hammer-powered killing rampage. :berz:

• Implying that an archer can actually hit a vanguard that knows his left foot from his right, and can pull off the three shots required to kill a vanguard, and has the time to line up three shots with the vanguards movement speed, yes - archers WOULD counter vanguards. Unfortunately this is very rarely the case and vanguards are left with no weakness. So I suppose that if you’re a human aimbot vanguards wouldn’t be much of a problem.

Also, what the fuck is up with the halberd? I don’t know much about polearms but I don’t think that you can carry it from the opposite end with one hand when performing a thrust.

• Um so it takes THREE crossbow bolts to kill a Vanguard? There are many archer weapons of different strengths.

Also as to hitting, all about positioning and even stealth with some maps.

Wayyy back to Alpha I’ve been hearing RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE about archers, and it has always been from Vanguards.

• It would take two crossbow bolts to kill a Vanguard from the heavy or regular crossbow, implying the archer can fire, reload, and fire again without missing in the time that it takes for the vanguard to close in on the archer. All I’m saying is that, unless this archer is an exceptionally accurate and fast shooter, the vanguard is going to win.

• “I totally agree with anyone who says lmb spam should cost more stamina or something and also halberd is dumb…”

I keep reading people complain about the halberd’s stab, but I have no problem sidestepping it. So why is it so bad? Just sidestep or block it with a shield. :fenc:

• The problem is not dealing with a vanguard, But its that everyone picks a vanguard.

@BobT36:

Vanguards are primarily chosen because of their strength, decent armour, long reach and wide sweeps. For new players, this is a nice starting place for them because it is easy to get hits and deal some damage, (to other people who don’t know how to deal with it).

I agree his swings can be a bit TOO wide sometimes though, I’ve got hit when stood BEHIND one before. The MAA is actually the pinnacle of Chiv gameplay, however he takes quite a bit of skill to play well, so is better for experienced players.

The focus is so much on vanguards though (or there so overpowered) that people minds start hating MaA because they have no chance(atleast in their eyes) so what happens? the whole game gets defined by vanguards and no one uses as you say and I believe the pinnacle of this game the MaA so you guys have pretty much made it counter-intuitive to how the game should be played dodging and fast twitch reaction times because your trying to accomodate for nubs, and unfortunately Humans are creatures of repetition so they pick vanny for easyness and dmg capabilities and tend to just stick with it forever. Or atleast from how the game servers are showing everyone is still a super nub or think the vanguard for some reason is the more elite class which seems like the latter.

• @L3thal:

blablabla

dude, punctuation.

• @BobT36:

1. Pick an archer class.
    2. Enjoy the rage.

You meanie!

• " the whole game gets defined by vanguards and no one uses as you say and I believe the pinnacle of this game the MaA so you guys have pretty much made it counter-intuitive to how the game should be played dodging and fast twitch reaction times because your trying to accomodate for nubs"

lol

To me, the way this game should be played is by overcoming my opponents. Not in one specific way, but whatever works the best in the circumstances. If you think the MaA is the way to play, then get really good at it and you’ll have no problem with vanguards. Use your shield, dodge and speed to get the advantage over vanguards. Or your oil pot, instead of the shield. If you can’t, then I am sorry, but you’re the noob, not the vanguard who killed you.

• Im sure it will get better overtime, But its just crazy how theres only about 10%-25% MaA in any match especially when this should be the true way to play the game, Which must be showing that players are being directed otherwise from the game mechanics that hes not valuable enough to play

• @Wobbler:

"
    lol

To me, the way this game should be played is by overcoming my opponents. Not in one specific way, but whatever works the best in the circumstances. If you think the MaA is the way to play, then get really good at it and you’ll have no problem with vanguards. Use your shield, dodge and speed to get the advantage over vanguards. Or your oil pot, instead of the shield. If you can’t, then I am sorry, but you’re the noob, not the vanguard who killed you.

Its more that you dont have to be good to be a good vanguard, A good MaA is tenfold better than a dumbass skilled vanguard so if they killed you it was statistically the outcome because to play a vanguard is easy as shit. Now what your post is telling me is you learned naturally in-game “hey I’m a no-skill liker lemme pick the vanny because he gets the job done” the problem is I’m trying to fight like a warrior and dodge around like the matrix not a dumbass little kid poking 100s of times til I hit you because I have the longer weapon. Your mindset is the problem I’m debating your not trying to learn you just innately know the vanny is overpowered and pick him and think hes the great because your definition of greatness is advantage not true skill

• @Kimiko:

@BobT36:

1. Pick an archer class.
    2. Enjoy the rage.

You meanie!

Yes, I was referring to you there. ;)

I don’t think it’s that hard to pick up a bow or crossbow and have at a Vanguard tbh. After a Crossbow bolt or a couple of arrows he’s going to be VERY weak. Dodge or parry the attack, and slay him with the quick secondary weapon, job done.

Course if you miss everything that’s no good but, no telling you’d hit any mellee attacks either if it’s that bad…

Also lethal, use punctuation and paragraph structuring.

Edit: And the rest of you, stop the insults or suspensions will be flying out pretty soon…

• @natei:

Implying that an archer can actually hit a vanguard that knows his left foot from his right, and can pull off the three shots required to kill a vanguard, and has the time to line up three shots with the vanguards movement speed, yes - archers WOULD counter vanguards. Unfortunately this is very rarely the case and vanguards are left with no weakness. So I suppose that if you’re a human aimbot vanguards wouldn’t be much of a problem.

Also, what the fuck is up with the halberd? I don’t know much about polearms but I don’t think that you can carry it from the opposite end with one hand when performing a thrust.

It takes two body shots from a warbow with bodkins to take down a vanguard. One body shot and an overhead from a cudgel will take down a vanguard. It takes one headshot with bodkins on a vanguard to kill him. Vanguard heads are also EASILY the most hittable head in the game. I’ve become very good at arching, and vanguards are by far the easiest class to kill being an archer. I’m not sure how you’re having trouble, I guess you just use the shortbow and refuse to switch to your melee. As it is, I dominate vanguards reguardless of the class I’m using. Perhaps it is just the playerbase that chooses vanguards that aren’t too good, but I find their slow attacks extremely easy to exploit.

• Vanguards a noob class end of story.
    8-)

• Nice thread im off to own people with vanguard now.

• I play like a real man and random team-random class.
    But more than I ever I realize this now means I have to specifically choose MaA or Knight because it’s clear being put on Vanguard or Archer is a license to spam and noob and otherwise play like a giant clotwart.

The few times I’ve played as Vanguard I’ve easily doubled my K:D ratio simply by LMB combos and staying at the reach of my huge sword. Of course it’s in pubs and of course this tactic could get shutdown by a skilled player, but that’s the point, it takes a highly disproportionate level of skill to counter Vanguards while rewarding them too much for such a shallow play style.

I think this is worsened by the lack of their flinching. I really want to play as and like MaA but invariably I get frustrated combating silly LMB spammers when I’ve finally dodged all their charges and spam and got them in the killzone axing their face in only to be wiped out by their follow-up unflinching combo. That is aggravating as hell only second to being run-down by a Vanguard despite having a class which should be at least twice as fast but as is now only marginally (and a lot of distance is covered during their charge).

I think if you fix either one or both of these issues (either fix flinching or reduce Vanguard speed or increase MaA speed) the current Vanguard spam tactics at least won’t be as rewarding for as long.

• @RenegadeTM:

I play like a real man and random team-random class.
    But more than I ever I realize this now means I have to specifically choose MaA or Knight because it’s clear being put on Vanguard or Archer is a license to spam and noob and otherwise play like a giant clotwart.

How exactly do you spam as an Archer?