Different Healing System

• instead of regenerating your health after regaining your stamina, I think a system similar to that of Far Cry 2 and 3 would be rather nice - where you have to go through a healing animation depending on what type of damage you’ve taken. It can involve things such as relocating a joint after some blunt damage or pulling a projectile out of you and such… after the animation finishes your health starts to regenerate as it would normally

I think this would be a nice addition since if you want to heal safely you have to retreat behind a nearby rock and stand there, so this’ll give you something interesting to look at instead. I know that it’ll be a huge job for the animation and sound-design guys, but it’ll add to the visceral nature of the game if you’re having to pull a javelin out of your stomach or spitting a bloody tooth out with a spray of blood to heal up (and of course you’ll be completely vulnerable whilst doing so)

• I think this would add some realism to the game, however, it’s a kind of job that the devs should go after imo… I’d rather them work on bringing us new weapons, new maps, new game types, ect. I do like the idea of having a more realistic game, but I would much rather have a game with more content instead of polish. Just my opinion on the matter :)

• I’m no expert, but assuming what I was taught in the Scouts about glass also applies to arrows, surely pulling an arrow out of you in the middle of a battlefield isn’t a very clever idea. It could be that the only thing stopping you from quickly bleeding to death is the arrow shaft itself, and when you pull it out all you have is a gaping hole where blood spurts out with every heart beat, and you’re quickly unconscious. And if that doesn’t happen, then you’re left with a deep open wound where mud and battlefield debris can get in and ruin your day, no thanks to medieval era medicine.

• Did they know that pouring alcohol on wounds helped them back then? If so, that’d probably be a better choice for animation. It’d be strange to pull an arrow out when all you got injured by were sword strikes, or relocation joins when you haven’t taken any blunt damage that life.

• @PedroFromHell:

I’m no expert, but assuming what I was taught in the Scouts about glass also applies to arrows, surely pulling an arrow out of you in the middle of a battlefield isn’t a very clever idea. It could be that the only thing stopping you from quickly bleeding to death is the arrow shaft itself, and when you pull it out all you have is a gaping hole where blood spurts out with every heart beat, and you’re quickly unconscious. And if that doesn’t happen, then you’re left with a deep open wound where mud and battlefield debris can get in and ruin your day, no thanks to medieval era medicine.

It doesn’t need to be realistic or have too much context to it - and doing it in the middle of a fight wouldn’t be wise since you wouldn’t be able to move whilst the animation is playing. Instead of pulling a projectile out for the animation, your character could snap it or cut it shorter with a dagger. If you haven’t played Far Cry 2 or 3 then it’s hard to understand what I mean lol… but having that naive medieval approach to doctrine will add a more gruesome element to it!

@Salad:

Did they know that pouring alcohol on wounds helped them back then? If so, that’d probably be a better choice for animation.

I don’t think so because they weren’t aware of bacteria yet but that’s still a good idea… instead of alcohol it could be some un-marked liquid solution that leaves the player guessing what it is. It probably isn’t good for their wounds at all haha

• I was going to say the exact same, except what they did do was to at least break it off so that the lodged arrow would not move during movement (that would be truly engaging to look down at myself and grunt while breaking off the end of an arrow from my body).

I don’t know what all they could do for a gash or puncture wound (I doubt they carried bandages), but I can imagine if torches were more common on the maps, they would cauterize the wound to stop the bleeding.

But yeah generally some form of acknowledging and tending to wounds in order to trigger the healing process would be more obvious and immerse than just a magically increasing health bar (it actually took me a while before I even realized health regenerated!).

Also, another common battlefield uh, first-aid, that I’ve heard is disemboweled victims making sure they put their intestines back into their bodies, although I imagine this rarely had a positive outcome.