I need some advice on better play.

• My first question is where to aim the various ranged weapons. I’ve found that using the black “gauge” (for lack of a better word) on the crossbow and aligning it along the left side of my enemies generally lands the bolt on target. However, which part of the viewmodel should I use (if any) for aiming with weapons like the longbow, throwing knives, and the javelin?

My second question is on hit detection. I don’t know if the server I was on was whack or what, but there were multiple times I could swing my weapon in the enemy’s face and nothing would happen. I even saw blood a few times when I would stab someone, but no damage indicator would come up. Using some weapons require I be right in the enemy’s face (literally touching their model; even if the sword were long; a range you’d expect from a dagger) to proc a hit, even though they could be using a much shorter weapon and kill me from a distance I considered safe. What gives?

Additionally, does this game consider WHERE I land the strike other than the head? Does a stab to the arm deal equal damage as a shot to the chest or are all limbs coded to receive their own damage? Does the game deal one instance of damage on first hit, or does it deal damage over time for each frame of the swing? In other words, do I only have to swing once and make contact to deal a flat amount of damage, or do I have to swing and make sure the bulk of the sword’s swing animation is on target to deal more/most damage? The latter is how PVK works, if you need a reference.

Other people can walk up to me and kill me in a single blow, but my swings (even when with full stamina) seem to only deal minimal damage to them most of the time (I’ve only rarely one-shot someone.) So minimal that even if I ambush them and surprise them, they can often turn around on my second or third swing and just kill me in a single blow. What gives? The only class I’ve been able to reliably kill is archers. Why do I have to swing for days while others one-shot me? Additionally, why do I run out of stamina easily after one or two blows and a quick sprint, but other players can run circles around me for days while swinging like madmen without once running out of the breath?

• Range weapons just require practice to get them right. Crossbow is the tip of the metal post for a straight on hit but you have to take in account the projectile dropping at ranges(aim higher). Bow just use the arrow head and the same with aiming higher for ranged shot(has less drop than the crossbow).

As for melee there are issues with hit registry at times, sometimes the server and sometimes just the game. Don’t expect these issues to be addressed as the developers are working on the next game(Chivalry). Just something you have to get used to.

Hitting different body parts does different amounts of damage, as does using the different attacks with the weapons. Stabs usually do the most followed by the overhead attack and then the slash.

I think that answers most of the questions unless I missed something. :p

• Developer

+1 awesome points for Phoenix, welcome to the forums Britard!

• The class selection menu has all the stats for each class. Damage each attack deals, class armor, and class speed. Take a look at those before selecting a class so you can get a bit more understanding on what that class can do.

• Bumb for the sake of clarity.

“Just something you have to get used to.”
    Okay, seriously, I went on countless servers asking all the admins and the veteran players on ACTUALLY HOW TO LAND A HIT CORRECTLY…none of them can answer my question, they always respond with the same old line “you have to get used to it”.

But that is ludicrous, I have been playing this game for a month now, and I clearly don’t see how you can GET USE to the horrible hit registration. I have the same problem as Britard “…saw blood a few times when I would stab someone, but no damage indicator would come up. Using some weapons require I be right in the enemy’s face (literally touching their model; even if the sword were long; a range you’d expect from a dagger) to proc a hit, even though they could be using a much shorter weapon and kill me from a distance I considered safe.”

So if you veteran players have gotten use to it…then what is it then…? what is it that make your hit registered better than mine? Do I have to stand closer, do I sprint while attacking, do I strafe to the left to the right for better hit…etc?

I mean if it clearly is something non-coding, and IS technical, then you would be able to answer this. You can’t possibly play this game for years and not able to explain HOW exactly to land a hit.

I really think you veteran players had mess with the rates in the console commands. Here is why…remember Counter Strike Source? back when the hit registration are so horrible? and what did people do to fix the problem? YES, they made a script to fix hit registration problem…nobody in CSS simply GET familiar with the BAD HIT REGISTRATION…it is CRAZY!

So please help me and Britard with something more useful…because obviously something is up.

• I can say that I personally am not that great at melee. I miss all the time and get registry issues and have been playing on and off for years. As for the rates, I tried messing with mine but didn’t have any luck on finding one that works.

A lot of the “get use to it” thing is just playing with one weapon until you figure out the timing on it. One person can maybe give you hints with a weapon but depending on your connection to the servers the timing is going to be different no matter how much someone is able to try and teach you about it. It is something that you just have to “get use to”.

I know that even the best melee players have times when they can’t land a hit or time blocks because maybe the server or their internet connection is lagging. The truth is this is an older game that wasn’t a big company production so there are issues with it.

• Hi guys.
    In my experience, when I can’t hit people that I should have hit, it’s usually a connection issue.
    Either my own ping is bad when playing on a server that is too far located from my hometown, or the person I’m trying to hit has a terrible ping. If you and your opponent have bad pings, its not that unusual to miss attacks.

Age of Chivalry is really a nice game, its not easy, but who wants to play an easy game?
    I know that I dont. Playing the game is really how to improve your attacks best. See ya in game:D

• The game remains fun despite the problems. It’s more than an engine or connection issue, though. PVKII uses the same engine and its melee combat is nearly perfect. I never have problems landing and parrying blows in that game, and I have never once seen someone complain about someone else’s ping influencing the outcome of their duels. It’s a problem with this game and how it was coded.

The animation sync is horrible. I often die at the beginning of swings when the enemy’s weapon is far from me. It’s also irritating for someone using the pole arm classes to turn around and kill someone behind them at the end of their thrust when all forward momentum is gone. You don’t get good in this game. You learn to tolerate terrible design and find ways to exploit it.

In some cases, the exploitation is intended and obvious. Why do you run faster when strafing with the mouse? You can feel and hear your character pick up speed. People will bind either +left or +right with a high yawspeed to quickly build up speed, prevent themselves from being hit, and prevent their attacks from being telegraphed. That’s cheating in my book.

Why do others not seem limited by the stamina system? I can run five feet as Man At Arms and swing a couple times and the bulk of my weapon’s power is gone. Others can run back and forth between enemies as Heavy Knight one-shotting them with overhand attacks. If I do the same, my character grunts heavily in exhaustion and gets decapitated by the enemy.

Why does my weapon do significantly less damage than others playing the same class? I’m using the most powerful swing for my weapon. It still takes me two or three swings to finish someone off with full stamina. The only weapons I can reliably pull one-shots off with are the pole arms and hammer. Yet, other players can sprint right at me from across the battlefield and take my head off in one hit from the same class, weapon, and swing.

Why do other people seem to swing faster than me, too? If someone parries my blow, he can often immediately swing to punish me for it. Yet, when I parry someone else’s blow, he often has enough time to swing his weapon a second time before I recover. Seriously, what gives? There has to be an explanation, and the lack of a “natural” one suggests something fishy. Are you guys just reluctant to reveal your exploits because they contribute to your overall feel of “experience”?

Again, this isn’t an engine or connection issue. It’s poor programming. Why does PVKII’s combat system feel technically perfect if it were an issue of engine or connection? Because, from the other polished elements of that game, I’d imagine their programmers knew what they’re doing. People in PVKII with 200 ping are not invincible mass murderers for a reason.

• I agree it is an issue in the coding most of the time and that is what makes ping such a factor.

I will address just one thing in your post as I don’t have any answers to the rest.

The issue with parry/blocking and attacking quickly is just people timing the animations. As in the person parrying you can time it so that your attack hits the end of the parry/block animation. That makes the parry/block complete for them and you are just starting the blocked/parried animation allowing them to seem to be recovering faster when all it is in this case is timing the animation to their advantage.

That is all I know on the subject though and their could be other things going on but I think this is the most common application of quick parries/blocks.

• @Vq.|Phoenix:

The issue with parry/blocking and attacking quickly is just people timing the animations. As in the person parrying you can time it so that your attack hits the end of the parry/block animation. That makes the parry/block complete for them and you are just starting the blocked/parried animation allowing them to seem to be recovering faster when all it is in this case is timing the animation to their advantage.

That’d be a valid and clever tactic if the animations weren’t so off that trying to do that gets you killed before the enemy’s weapon even makes contact with you.

• @Britard:

That’d be a valid and clever tactic if the animations weren’t so off that trying to do that gets you killed before the enemy’s weapon even makes contact with you.

I agree lol, I am not too good at this myself.