Purchasable Customization

• Advance the game development
    Purchase emblems small things to give your character a different look and support the advance of the game and allow developers to make the game an even more success. I mean the name of the game is chivalry and what’s a gentalmen without a snazzy outfit!

• I love customization, but I don’t think it should go down like that. Maybe someday we can choose from some skins, but for now it should be balance and bug fixing… Also some maps/weapons! (Can’t wait for flails! omgomgomg)

• Well I bought the game, so I don’t want to pay for ingame stuff. But I do want customization.

• Oh and by the way, the Devs said there WILL be customisation, they just cant tell when and how exactly at this point, there is still much other stuff to do.

We have to wait. We can wait, we will wait!

• No thank you. I’m against these micro transactions in any video game. If they add custom emblems/armor it should be unlocked via gameplay not from your wallet.

• @AllShallPerish:

No thank you. I’m against these micro transactions in any video game. If they add custom emblems/armor it should be unlocked via gameplay not from your wallet.

Can’t say I’m against it in general. I like it in a game as Planetside2 which is free2play with micro transactions. I would certainly also pay for it in Chivalry but I don’t think it’s the right business model for an indie game that has initial costs. Far too many people would be scared away.

Chivalry should rather go down the road of Mount&Blade: release SDK and let the community build customizational stuff and implement it in the game or make mods from it.

• Free to play is the worst thing that could ever happen to video games.

• @PedroFromHell:

Free to play is the worst thing that could ever happen to video games.

Worse than COD:MW series? :o

• @PedroFromHell:

I agree in part. TF2 is free to play, and its a great game. Everything that CAN be bought, is opbtainable (rather easily), from within the game.

Free-to-play only becomes a problem if game balance is affected by in-game purchases that are made. I could see that happening with this game. So no. PLEASE do not put in-game purchases in. I paid for this game, and I should get all updates for free.

• @KingArthur:

@PedroFromHell:

I agree in part. TF2 is free to play, and its a great game. Everything that CAN be bought, is opbtainable (rather easily), from within the game.

Same with Planetside2. You can buy cosmetical stuff to pimp your character or vehicles and weapons you’re also getting by gaining cert points ingame.

If Chivalry was free2play it could go down the same road. Nobody would be harmed in any way by people wearing alternative armor they paid for.

• i don’t want my games to be directx-rendered webshops , thank you.

• …Aren’t the devs planning to release the SDK for Chiv?

Wouldn’t that let you mod your guy any way you see fit?

• @JHoersten2:

…Aren’t the devs planning to release the SDK for Chiv?

Wouldn’t that let you mod your guy any way you see fit?

It gives the com the opportunity to create mods but unless there’s not something like a cRPG mod like in Warband which is as popular we’re quite likely to keep on playing vanilla version.

• @William:

Uhm…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Why? This is the BEST possible business model for an online multiplayer game to both stay alive and continuously grow. TF2 and hats and LoL and skins are both good examples of a successful F2P model.

Purchasable customisations such as new ha- I mean helmets offer no gameplay advantage to anyone, yet at the same time allows the devs a new stream of revenue to improve and grow the game. Surely you’d want that? Can you give any practical reason why such a system is bad?

Irrational principals should not stand in the way of efficient and practical means of improvement.

• @KingArthur:

@PedroFromHell:

Free-to-play only becomes a problem if game balance is affected by in-game purchases that are made. I could see that happening with this game. So no. PLEASE do not put in-game purchases in. I paid for this game, and I should get all updates for free.

Your logic failed there.

If F2P is only a problem if gameplay is affected by microtransactions, then there should be no problem if gameplay is not affected by any potential F2P system in Chivalry.

You should also think ahead. Yes, you paid for the game, and indeed you may get all the updates for free. However, how many updates will you get? Further, do you prefer having new hats as updates or having new content such as weapons and maps as updates?

TF2 for example always provided new maps/modes for free, and new weapons can, as you’ve pointed out, be easily obtained. Do you care about those hats? If not, why should you get them, when they can be a source of revenue for the devs, so that more of the stuff you do care (maps, weapons, etc) can be provided to you?

• @GhoXen:

@KingArthur:

@PedroFromHell:

Your logic failed there.

If F2P is only a problem if gameplay is affected by microtransactions, then there should be no problem if gameplay is not affected by any potential F2P system in Chivalry.

You should also think ahead. Yes, you paid for the game, and indeed you may get all the updates for free. However, how many updates will you get? Further, do you prefer having new hats as updates or having new content such as weapons and maps as updates?

TF2 for example always provided new maps/modes for free, and new weapons can, as you’ve pointed out, be easily obtained. Do you care about those hats? If not, why should you get them, when they can be a source of revenue for the devs, so that more of the stuff you do care (maps, weapons, etc) can be provided to you?

My logic never fails. Cosmetic items are okay, but other people were saying that weapons that are “better” or “more powerful” should be purchasable. Hence my reply.

This game should ONLY go F2P if game balance is maintained, and the server side configuration is improved.