Impressions from 19 levels in a week

• Hey guys, I thought I’d drop in and give some feedback. This is a little more in-depth than just an “initial impression”, so I felt it justified it’s own thread. If that’s not kosher, feel free to move it.

First off, I’m a big fan of this game. I’ve played it quite a bit, earning 19 levels in a week as I mentioned in the title. That might not sound amazing to some ‘1337’ players out there, but bear in mind that some of my XP didn’t get counted due to one of the many bugs. I didn’t level for most of my first day playing, which was several hours stretched out over 3-4 sessions throughout the day, comprising perhaps 50-75 kills. I’m sure there were other times where my kills weren’t counted towards my level as well, just like the kills that weren’t counted towards various weapon unlocks.

My first 20 minutes I laughed endlessly when I wasn’t shouting in consternation or amazement. Since then I’ve had the chance to rage harder than at any game since the original Counterstrike beta.

The art is fantastic. Excellent work. I play with high end graphics and only occasionally dip below 30FPS in the grand melees. I love the maps, for the most part.

Now, the core of the game: the melee combat. It’s pretty damn good. In a duel or small skirmish scenario, it’s excellent. There are some weapons that are obnoxiously broken (the falchion, the halberd) and overpowered, but I’m sure that will be addressed in the upcoming patch. Most of the weapons are fun to use and effective, with different strengths and weaknesses that I’m still discovering (Norse sword, Ooh-la-la). I’m looking forward to the flail.

The grand melees, the cluster of fucking, the giant moshpit fuckfest: those are pretty lame. With the bardiche and greatswords cleaving through friend and foe alike, and every vanguard simply spinning in a circle spamming horizontal attacks, they’re just a bunch of random chaos. Maybe that’s by design? If so, I question the wisdom of such gratuitous amounts of friendly fire. In a typical charge, I would take more damage from my team than from the enemy. Consistently. If that’s not by design, then may I make a suggestion? Lower the damage on the beginning and end of the greatsword and bardiche swings.

I’m not suggesting a nerf to the overall weapon damage, but rather to the parts of the swing that would lack any momentum naturally. Those are the points where the vanguard is hitting his ally behind him with greatest frequency. It would also have the side effect of lowering the random kills inflicted with the horizontal spam against the enemy, but I think that’s a small price to pay. The class is already super easy to use and devastatingly effective.

The other bone I have to pick is with the archer classes. Archery is difficult and frustrating. The speed of the draw for all the bows is incredibly long. I’ve used a recurve before, although I am by no means an expert, and it does not take that long to draw a bow. If you’re worried about game balance, just drop the damage on each arrow. As it is, it’s just painful to play as an archer, even with the shortbow. I won’t even get into the reloading times on the crossbow, holy cow.

And then there’s the javelin. Currently, the time delay after throwing a javelin before you can grab another one feels very clunky, unnatural and frustrating. I understand you want to lower their rate of fire, that’s fine, but at least give us an animation or something instead of simply unresponsiveness.

Also, and this is huge, the delay before being able to block after throwing a javelin is fucking horrible. Yes, fucking horrible. It ruins the class. Right there. That. I throw a javelin and then… wait. Wait. Wait. Ok, now you can block. Oh, you’re dead? Too bad.

I really enjoy the idea of a skirmisher who can mix ranged and melee with the same weapon. It’s could be a fun class to play, as it is, it’s an exercise in death. Your own. Archers will never, ever, ever win an FFA against even moderately skilled players. Archers are free kills. They may pick off a few people, a good archer might even get a positive score, but they are the weakest of the classes by far, and the advantage of distance is negligible in a game where you can dodge an arrow casually.

• @ Javeling issue, yes I agree. The no blocking for a while thing seems terrible, but I believe you can mash your 2 key and block when you pull out your secondary.

However, do tell me how the Falchion is broken, because I’ve seen new players complain about pretty much every weapon that’s ever killed them with any consistency. Work on your blocking technique imo, start looking way further towards the direction of the attack and then the difficulty will be in dealing with feints. At that point, congratulations! you’re now able to block 90% of people in public games without much of a problem.

• @ Javelin issue, yes I agree. The no blocking for a while thing seems terrible, but I believe you can mash your 2 key and block when you pull out your secondary.

However, do tell me how the Falchion is broken, because I’ve seen new players complain about pretty much every weapon that’s ever killed them with any consistency. Work on your blocking technique imo, start looking way further towards the direction of the attack and then the difficulty will be in dealing with feints. At that point, congratulations! you’re now able to block 90% of people in public games without much of a problem.

• The Falchion is considered an overpowered weapon by the majority of people I’ve played with that have commented on the issue. It’s the combination of speed, power and reach that make it superior to any other one handed weapon. If you can use the falchion, you’re making a sub-optimal choice if you use anything else.

Also, it’s a dastardly hard sword to block against, if a clever MaA is using it. But I think that’s a strength of the sword that is intentional and should stay.

I’ve also heard from another player that it does incorrect damage type: axe instead of slashing. Not sure how to verify that.

• @Shinnai:

The Falchion is considered an overpowered weapon by the majority of people I’ve played with that have commented on the issue. It’s the combination of speed, power and reach that make it superior to any other one handed weapon. If you can use the falchion, you’re making a sub-optimal choice if you use anything else.

Also, it’s a dastardly hard sword to block against, if a clever MaA is using it. But I think that’s a strength of the sword that is intentional and should stay.

I’ve also heard from another player that it does incorrect damage type: axe instead of slashing. Not sure how to verify that.

I’ve heard the exact same thing about the Dane Axe. Whatever people are being killed by is what they’ll complain about. Anything is hard to block against when in close range, since people don’t seem to understand that you need to really look into the block, not just move your mouse in the general direction of the swing.

• Falchion sucks… All the axes and maces are better… Well, not holy water sprinkler… It just sucks.