Good PC but low fps when more than 18 players.

• Hello guys. I have good pc but when more than 18 players log in to a server a starting to geting lower fps. I dont even need to see those all players on map and game just starting to geting less fps (like 20-30).

I playing on resolution 1440x900 and everything from graphics options on low so this is even more strange that i get low fps if more players appears on server.

I got turned off vertical sync.

I got clear pc without virus, defrag discs and all newest drivers.

My pc is:
    -Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16
    -nvidia gainward 9800gtx+ 512ram
    -4g ddr3
    -asus p5e3 ws pro/chipset intel x38

I got MinCompressedDurationGame set to 3 but i dont it works at all.

I think its something about Unreal engine cuz if i set all setings on high and there is 15 players on server i got 60 fps all the time. But even on lowest graphics options but with more than 18-20 players on server game starting to losing fps.

• @johnnywalker77777:

My pc is:
    -Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16
    -nvidia gainward 9800gtx+ 512ram
    -4g ddr3
    -asus p5e3 ws pro/chipset intel x38

Minimum:

Processor: Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4 GHz) or AMD equivalent, or better
    Memory: At least 2GB
    Hard Disk Space: 3 GB
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 3870 of higher, Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT or higher
    Graphics card memory: 512MB+
    Sound: Windows compatible sound card
    Recommended:

Processor: 2.4 GHz quad core or better
    Memory: 4 GB system RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 9 GB
    Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible with 768 MB video RAM or better (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon HD 5850)
    Sound: Windows compatible sound card

You’re barely over the minimum system requirements. This game is heavily CPU bound and more players on the screen causes a lot more physics calculations which taxes your CPU even more. Upgrading your CPU will resolve your issues.

• You are wrong man. This system requirements are mostly bulshit. I mean just look on graphics in this game. Its old Unreal Engine. My pc is strong enough. Btw many people are complaining about these fps drops when more than 20 players log into server. I playing couple of times on servers for 64 players and i was asking people how many fps they got and what graphics settings they using. Some of them with high end pc get frame drops and some get stable 62 fps. So its not realy about my pc but something with optimization of game. Like I said. I dont even need to see those 20+ players. I siting for example in cottage and if there is more than 20 players i get fps drop. If there is from 1 to 12-14 players i have stable 60 fps.

Btw my cpu is 9800gtx+ the latest and the strongest graphic card from 9xxx. Its no need to change it.

• Uh, wow you’re misinformed. Your GPU is the strongest in a 4-5 year old series. Not too impressive there. And your CPU is severely lacking. While “old unreal engine” it’s very CPU dependent which is where you’re lacking the most. Go in game, open console with the tilde key (~) type stat unit, and tell me which number spikes up the highest and goes in red most often.

• Resolution 1440x900. All seting set to low/false. In nvidia desktop options i set settig to “Best performance” Game looks ugly :P

Here you have numbers you want

16 players in server. Map stone hill. FPS 80
    Frame 11.11ms
    Game 3.66ms
    Draw 3.69ms
    CPU 6.28ms

58 players in server. Map battlegrounds. FPS 20-30
    Fram 25.35ms
    Game 25.48ms
    Draw 18.29ms
    CPU 17.12

• In a stat unit, the last entry is GPU not CPU. And based on your numbers and the FPS you’re getting, it’s clear as day what’s happening. On the lower count server with not as many people your numbers in stat unit are fine, and as a result your FPS is fine as well. In a server with many other players your numbers have spiked up, but the one that’s highest “Game” is representative of your your CPU. So since that number is highest, it shows your CPU is the weak link in this situation.

• Ok thanks for anwsering. I am a little confused - Cpu is procesor or graphic card?

I just buy zalman cooling yesterday and i will easily set my procesor to 4Ghz or more. That will fix my problem in some way or not?

• @johnnywalker77777:

Ok thanks for anwsering. I am a little confused - Cpu is procesor or graphic card?

I just buy zalman cooling yesterday and i will easily set my procesor to 4Ghz or more. That will fix my problem in some way or not?

CPU is Processor. GPU is processor. OC’in to 4ghz may very well help you, but I haven’t heard many of those CPUs reaching that high. Make sure you know what you’re doing.

• Just search in internet about oc e8500 :P With good cooling mostly people geting even more than 4Ghz. Btw before i do anything i will read about overclocking until understand everything.

• @johnnywalker77777:

Ok thanks for anwsering. I am a little confused - Cpu is procesor or graphic card?

I have Core Due 3 GHz myself and had similar plan of overclocking it. Please do report of the results.

On my PC I can get around 35 average fps with Dynamic lighting on, which drops to 20 on too populated servers and 40-60 fps without players which lower to same 20-40 with people. So I hoped I could get stable fps on crowded areas with 4 Ghz dual cores, but Im not sure.

• Hehe I have everything on low in graphic settings. This game is awsome not becouse graphic so i geting fun anyway.

I overclocked my graphic card

Core 745>771 MHz
    Memory 1100>1230 MHz
    Shader clock 1847>1912 MHz

This is max for my card without artifacts. I tested this overclocked setting with few programs. After i set 10+ MHz more in any of this 3 options i starting to get errors/artifacts :P

• @johnnywalker77777:

Hehe I have everything on low in graphic settings. This game is awsome not becouse graphic so i geting fun anyway.

I overclocked my graphic card

Core 745>771 MHz
    Memory 1100>1230 MHz
    Shader clock 1847>1912 MHz

This is max for my card without artifacts. I tested this overclocked setting with few programs. After i set 10+ MHz more in any of this 3 options i starting to get errors/artifacts :P

My last Geforce 8800 burned out just on default factory settings and i keep case open now (though its not so small to prevent normal ventilation). Wouldn’t risk to overclock GPU at least the cheap-ish 250 I have now with its tiny cooler.

• I have set dynymic fan speed so that means when i playing Chivalry it hold stable temperature of graphic card on 65 celsius.

• Ok, but main thing I wanted to know was - did it help you play on servers where there are a lot of people. My Geforce 250 runs game smoothly but over 20 people especially if they make a meat grinder in 1 place can drop fps to 20-15.

I read its CPUs fault, not GPUs and was going to overclock my CPU, while you did it with your graphical card.

SO the last and only question is how well was the overclocking for your perfomance?

• With new procesor cooler I overclocked my e8500 core 2 duo from 3.16 GHz to 4.2 GHz and there is a huge diference in gameplay when I have many players on screen.

Now I can play 15vs15 with 60fps and this is very important for me becouse I like huge battles. In servers 32vs32 its much much better now but I still geting 25-40 fps and I really dont like this fps rollercoster so mostly i prefer to play on 32 slots servers.

You can play on lowest graphic setings and if there will be 30+ people on server you will still get low fps becouse then most important is procesor.

And you can play on highest graphics settings but with 10-15 people on server and get 60fps+

With 30 players and more on server the most important its procesor. In chivarly its something like 70% depends on procesor and 30% on graphic card.

But I still think this game needs optimization.

• I have an Intel Q9550 @ 3.8GHZ (quad core) and Chivalry is only using 50% of it while struggling to maintain over 30 FPS in some larger servers, especially the arena maps. Even on smaller player counts its a struggle to keep over 40.

My overall cpu usage is spread evenly across all 4 cores, but Chivalry seem to max out at 50% so it’s probably only able to use 2 cores? I have 8GB of ram and my video card is a Radeon 6970, which maxes out at around 40% usage. Detail settings don’t seem to matter and I’ve tried every config file tweak you can think of, I’ve played a lot of Unreal engine games, I’m pretty familiar with the config setups. I can pretty much set everything to the highest and have the same FPS as the lowest settings :/ BF3 I can run on high settings and have better FPS on 64 man servers lol, cuz that game uses all 4 cores.

I wish these games would properly support hardware, I don’t see the point of upgrading when my 4 year old processor is still not being utilized by any of these games coming out.

• @chicken-:

I have an Intel Q9550 @ 3.8GHZ (quad core) and Chivalry is only using 50% of it while struggling to maintain over 30 FPS in some larger servers, especially the arena maps. Even on smaller player counts its a struggle to keep over 40.

My overall cpu usage is spread evenly across all 4 cores, but Chivalry seem to max out at 50% so it’s probably only able to use 2 cores? I have 8GB of ram and my video card is a Radeon 6970, which maxes out at around 40% usage. Detail settings don’t seem to matter and I’ve tried every config file tweak you can think of, I’ve played a lot of Unreal engine games, I’m pretty familiar with the config setups. I can pretty much set everything to the highest and have the same FPS as the lowest settings :/ BF3 I can run on high settings and have better FPS on 64 man servers lol, cuz that game uses all 4 cores.

I wish these games would properly support hardware, I don’t see the point of upgrading when my 4 year old processor is still not being utilized by any of these games coming out.

Do you see any difference if you add “-useallavailablecores” to the game’s launch properties in Steam?

• Well I finally got fed up and deleted my config and then tweaked some things, now all of a sudden my GPU usage is up around 75% and I gained like 20 FPS. I’m not sure exactly what I did differently this time, very odd. Even at high settings it’s running OK now. Could be better but I’m happy, if I figure out what changed I’ll update here.