How is lag handled in this game?

• Battlefield 3 has some weird hybrid lag compensation system, does this game have any of that?

Earlier today, I was up against a guy with 250+ ping vs my 80-100. On his wind up, I get hit. Really difficult to defend against his swings. How is this happening?

• No lag comp.

• No lag compensation, just client side prediction, which is really good for predicting movement but not so good for predicting when you’ll attack, thus the animation would play late for you due to his extremely high ping. Lag compensation would do the same thing. There is basically no system that can accurately show you the animations of a high ping player in any game, because most games don’t rely on that information as much as Chivalry. The system would have to literally read the player’s mind and know when they’re going to attack.

• If your latency is below 100, then there should be no problem most of the time. If your latency is between 100-200, your parries may become less reliable and you may be at a disadvantage. If your latency is over 200, then weird things start to happen (e.g. on enemy’s screen your attack deals damage before animation), and the higher your latency the greater an advantage you may obtain. Of course that usually means people will just kick you from server for exploiting high latency.

• The answer to killing people with 300+ ping is simple.

Go on the offensive asap. They will have a hard time defending you and you get into the parry/block attack rhythm and remove their ‘hitting during the windup advantage’

In other words, don’t let them attack first, and if you are really having problems with them, simply avoid them.

• @GhoXen:

If your latency is over 200, then weird things start to happen

People start growing extra limbs, trees start attacking you, and it rains orange soda.

• Do servers sort of ‘average’ everyone’s ping internally? I heard this from a couple people that that is how servers work. Wouldn’t this be a disadvantage for people with low ping? I really would love to know if this was a falsehood or not, it would greatly affect how I approach certain situations.

• @omg87:

Earlier today, I was up against a guy with 250+ ping vs my 80-100. On his wind up, I get hit. Really difficult to defend against his swings. How is this happening?

Unreal engine works in mysterious ways.

• @Stillbjorn:

Do servers sort of ‘average’ everyone’s ping internally? I heard this from a couple people that that is how servers work. Wouldn’t this be a disadvantage for people with low ping? I really would love to know if this was a falsehood or not, it would greatly affect how I approach certain situations.

I don’t even know what “averaging” everyone’s ping means. Ping is based primarily on your distance from the server and your internet connection speed; it’s not something the server really dictates, unless the server is particularly weak. With weak servers, having a lot of players on the server will increase everyone’s ping because the server can’t handle the load - maybe that’s what you’re thinking of?

• Unreal doesn’t average out everyone’s ping no, but I do know what you’re talking about, I know of an engine that takes the average ping of all connected players and if you’re ping is lower than the average, the server delays all of your actions to match the average.

• @SlyGoat:

@Stillbjorn:

Do servers sort of ‘average’ everyone’s ping internally? I heard this from a couple people that that is how servers work. Wouldn’t this be a disadvantage for people with low ping? I really would love to know if this was a falsehood or not, it would greatly affect how I approach certain situations.

I don’t even know what “averaging” everyone’s ping means. Ping is based primarily on your distance from the server and your internet connection speed; it’s not something the server really dictates, unless the server is particularly weak. With weak servers, having a lot of players on the server will increase everyone’s ping because the server can’t handle the load - maybe that’s what you’re thinking of?

I can’t even grasp the concept. A Ping test is usually how much time a packet from your pc takes to reach the server, in milliseconds, and back. It measures basically, the time you take to connect to a server. The closer you are and the faster your net is, the lower (better) the ping is.

You are basically telling the server to “hey, here’s a message for you to send me a message when you receive this message” and the time it takes between your message leaving your computer, and the response entering your computer, is the latency time. The ping that appears on the scoreboard.

But yeah, if the server is stressed or weak, the only think it would cause is really a more delayed response (more ping) or rubberbanding.

It’s a good thing that the game doesn’t have compensation though, as far as i remember, lag comp on UE3 isn’t the best. Client side prediction is, afaik, the best solution.

• Oh, okay, I think that clears things up a bit. Thanks for the responses you guys. :)