Crossbow and javelin tips?

• So I’m a veteran on all 3 classes, but archer so naturally I’ve been trying to get vet. Status on the archer class. I didn’t have any problem with the bow as I’m actually quite decent with it, so I moved onto the crossbow and OHHH LAWDIE I’m terrible with that thing! I don’t want to say it sucks cause there’s probably a lot of people out there who wreck with it, but damn its shit for me! Any tips for how to use it? Also don’t EEEEVVEN get me started with the javelins! Tips for those would help tho :)

• Here’s what I did. I realised that I have absolutely no talent when it comes to bows and gave up on the archer class. I never worked well with bows, ever, and that applies to the huntsman in TF2, the bow in Far Cry 3, crossbow in Tribes Ascend, etc.

Javelin is the only weapon I managed to do well with, and that was because I used it solely as a melee weapon.

• Lol that’s what I was thinking i was going to have to do for the javelins, but then the crossbows are still left :(

• For Javelin tips:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x7tCEDdCG0

For Heavy Cross tips:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8PNltiUXA

Both are niche setups though, and will require some time to master and get good with. Don’t be frustrated if you do poorly at first. They’re not setups you can pick up lickity split like you can with some of the melee classes weapons. They’re hard to play with successfully.

However, the Javelin is a fucking beast once you understand the timings and mechanics. Once you start connecting with the majority of your throws, it’s one of the most powerful setups in the game in my opinion.

Best of luck!

• I’d consider myself one of the top archers that I’ve played with. I almost always keep up a 3.0 - 5.0 K/D and excel at objective / LTS / TDM.

Crossbow is my weapon of choice. With the exception of the zoom glitch, I find crossbow to be the most reliable of the weapons.

Javelin is just trash. In no way is it better than the bows or crossbows. It has comparable damage to the crossbow, but it…

• only has 5 shots

• has a very long cooldown between throwing and your next action

• Only has a stab attack

• Is not feintable

• Has a irksome drop

While the positives are

• Buckler

Also, if you’re considering staying with the archer class for a while and play TO, PLEASE play the objective. You don’t have to be pushing the ram, but at least keep people off balistas / hold choke points and keep enemy archers from hindering the melee crowd.

–-

Tips for the crossbow:

• Get that pavise off your back asap. It’s a giant red flag that screams I die to one hit from everything.

• RUN away from fights you can’t win. If it’s not 1v1, you’re better off running back towards teammates then reloading waiting for an opening.

• Shoot at melee fighters between/during attack animations.

• Learn how to fake a reload and bring it to a parry. (Reload, then Q, 2, R as soon as your character looks down)

• If you’re not confident in avoiding shooting your own team, do not shoot.

• Do not shoot at anything moving over 20 yards away. If they are smaller than your recticle, you can’t hit it.

• Learn to hit zig-zaggers (aim in the center, wait for them to close the gap, around 10 yards fire chest level in the center of the zig)

• Understand that a LOT of your kills come with secondaries.

• LEARN TO KICK (this is huge seeing that a crossbow shot puts non-knight classes 2 kicks from death, kicks are unblockable, and kicks interrupt most attacks, and have practically 0 windup)

and of course, practice.

:)

add me ingame if you still need some pointers.

• @HEXEN:

For Javelin tips:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x7tCEDdCG0

For Heavy Cross tips:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8PNltiUXA

Already seen those Hexen and I do enjoy your vids! I think I subscribed to your channel a moth ago. :D

• @BOT:

I’d consider myself one of the top archers that I’ve played with. I almost always keep up a 3.0 - 5.0 K/D and excel at objective / LTS / TDM.

Crossbow is my weapon of choice. With the exception of the zoom glitch, I find crossbow to be the most reliable of the weapons.

Javelin is just trash. In no way is it better than the bows or crossbows. It has comparable damage to the crossbow, but it…

• only has 5 shots

• has a very long cooldown between throwing and your next action

• Only has a stab attack

• Is not feintable

• Has a irksome drop

While the positives are

• Buckler

Also, if you’re considering staying with the archer class for a while and play TO, PLEASE play the objective. You don’t have to be pushing the ram, but at least keep people off balistas / hold choke points and keep enemy archers from hindering the melee crowd.

–-

Tips for the crossbow:

• Get that pavise off your back asap. It’s a giant red flag that screams I die to one hit from everything.

• RUN away from fights you can’t win. If it’s not 1v1, you’re better off running back towards teammates then reloading waiting for an opening.

• Shoot at melee fighters between/during attack animations.

• Learn how to fake a reload and bring it to a parry. (Reload, then Q, 2, R as soon as your character looks down)

• If you’re not confident in avoiding shooting your own team, do not shoot.

• Do not shoot at anything moving over 20 yards away. If they are smaller than your recticle, you can’t hit it.

• Learn to hit zig-zaggers (aim in the center, wait for them to close the gap, around 10 yards fire chest level in the center of the zig)

• Understand that a LOT of your kills come with secondaries.

• LEARN TO KICK (this is huge seeing that a crossbow shot puts non-knight classes 2 kicks from death, kicks are unblockable, and kicks interrupt most attacks, and have practically 0 windup)

and of course, practice.

:)

add me ingame if you still need some pointers.

Thanks so much for the tips!

• @BOT:

While the positives are

• Buckler

–-
    Tips for the crossbow:

• @Slaughtervomit:

Also, that pavise shield is good when in archer fights because you can turn around and reload and be invincible from projectiles :lol:

If you turn around to reload you won’t see the melee class which can kill you before you can switch weapons running up. Why not just reload behind cover? there’s plenty in every map.

• @Ushnor:

@Slaughtervomit:

Also, that pavise shield is good when in archer fights because you can turn around and reload and be invincible from projectiles :lol:

If you turn around to reload you won’t see the melee class which can kill you before you can switch weapons running up. Why not just reload behind cover? there’s plenty in every map.

Well, I guess perfect example is when you’re defending against the battering ram and melee cannot even get to you… :) I do see what you mean, though.

• A quick tip that hasn’t been mentioned already: try both the bow and crossbow (and javelin, but I really don’t like it), but settle on one eventually, and don’t waffle. I know some archers who switch between crossbow and bow depending on the mood, but I really don’t recommend this, as they operate very differently, and have different projectile speeds; that means you’ll have to aim differently at distant targets, and the more you specialize in one weapon, the better you’ll become with it.

Within the crossbow group, though, I think you can play around without messing up your aim, as all crossbows seem to have the same projectile speed. I never use the light, but sometimes I’m too impatient to use the heavy. It depends what I’m shooting, I suppose.

Can’t really think of anything else to add to the above right now.

• @SirRectumRaider:

Already seen those Hexen and I do enjoy your vids! I think I subscribed to your channel a moth ago. :D

What, my tips weren’t good enough for you? Haha :P

Yeah, I really didn’t hit many of the finer things in those videos. Almost tempted to make another one after the big patch goes through.

• @HEXEN:

@SirRectumRaider:

What, my tips weren’t good enough for you? Haha :P

No no no please don’t send krom after me! I do think that the hcb and normal crossbow are very different weapons that require different play styles. Also you should make class guides divided into 3 parts each part going over the different weapon types. Just a suggestion.

• Javelin Pros:

• can be thrown whilst sprinting
    • shield means you can shield-bash and block
    • has two melee attacks (another shield bash and a stab)
    • very powerful

Javelin Cons:

• very sluggish to re-arm
    • janky and unresponsive
    • javelin goes above the reticle when thrown
    • only 5 javelins

• I know some archers who switch between crossbow and bow depending on the mood, but I really don’t recommend this, as they operate very differently, and have different projectile speeds; that means you’ll have to aim differently at distant targets, and the more you specialize in one weapon, the better you’ll become with it.

This is a great way to gimp your learning.

Always expand on what you learn, in this case play with different weapons. For each weapon you learn it becomes easier to learn another. That is they way our brains operates. Everything you learn can be used in many other places, it may take a little time to switch between styles, however the more you do it the quicker it becomes.

• @Toll:

I know some archers who switch between crossbow and bow depending on the mood, but I really don’t recommend this, as they operate very differently, and have different projectile speeds; that means you’ll have to aim differently at distant targets, and the more you specialize in one weapon, the better you’ll become with it.

This is a great way to gimp your learning.

Always expand on what you learn, in this case play with different weapons. For each weapon you learn it becomes easier to learn another. That is they way our brains operates. Everything you learn can be used in many other places, it may take a little time to switch between styles, however the more you do it the quicker it becomes.

Getting used to how an arrow flies and drops off is not helped by swapping bows all the time. You are incorrect.

• I feel that javelins are best used as a prelude to melee combat in the Roman style, rather than as a purely ranged weapon. Throw as many javelins as you can safely, then close aggressively with a target for all out melee or MAA style thrust-and-run tactics. Thrown javelins hit extremely hard, and javelin thrusts have a very short windup time while dealing a respectable amount of piercing damage.

You will need to throw with great accuracy, know when to cancel suicidal throws, and learn how to use the very fast and very low visibility javelin thrusts to overcome all of the weapon’s other disadvantages. It’s one of the hardest styles of play, but also one of the most enjoyable in my opinion.

• just some general advice for heavy crossbow:

as long as you have the choice:
    -shoot nothing but archers
    -if there’s no (hitable) one around go for maa - until the jan content patch then you should skip them
    -only shoot vanguards at close range where you can aim for the head easier or take them on in melee after a torso hit
    -you should try to ignore knights especially those with shields. Even if you hit you can’t take them down with ranged attacks. Your rate of fire is just too awful. (yes heavy crossbow is the worst ranged weapon against knights- sweet irony)

-Alter your positioning between extremly longrange archer snipes, melee guerilla fighting + shotgunning and flank-shooting from unattended positions during a single match.
    -master either shortsword or cudgel because most of your kills will be melee
    -don’t shoot until you’re 100% sure you’ll hit (no spraying)
    -don’t ever bother deploying the pavise. You’ve got to keep moving and it will break anyway.
    -turn around 180° for reloading to exploit passive projectile block
    -don’t get fooled the pavise really sucks once it is deployed for various reasons, but it helps alot on your back. get a high mousesensitivity and turn-block arrows while you’re charging (!) an archer in close quarters. Most pub archers will learn to ignore you when you do a good job. Plus you should always play hit and run in melee. Run away like you were a coward just to drag in your overhead on the guy chasing you. He won’t see the windup due to your pavise…
    but seriously try to stand your ground. Nobody needs a cowardly archer. If you miss take them on in melee. If there is more than one, try hit and run, play them off against each other, parry and run straight through their lines, whatever is necessary so they don’t get too many clear strikes at you. You don’t have many (or even any) advantages in melee so you have to use everything you can. Most melees have terrible footwork skills, so you have to beat them there.

When shotgunning / guerilla backstabbing you should stick to friends or good random melees. Learn how effectivly they parry and time / aim your shots so they hit just in the second your enemy got parried / blocked.

Once you’ve mastered heavy crossbow, go back to warbow and just stomp every pubserver 40/5 ^^

• Getting used to how an arrow flies and drops off is not helped by swapping bows all the time. You are incorrect.

Not at all, in fact it will give you better perspective on how projectile speed factors in projectile drop off. This allows you to unconsciously adjust your aim to account for any change in projectile speed in all situations.
    Not only that, but changing weapons often will keep the interest levels high and thus increase the speed of learning. But you know, I’m ‘incorrect’…