What's the point of the other classes?

• Why play as archer, or man at arms, or knight, when you can kill anything without even blocking as vanguard? How can anyone call vanguard a balanced class? Why do you think that over half the server plays as vanguard? Even if you don’t think vanguard is overpowered, half the server if not more is still playing as it. Play in a FFA match and I guarantee that two out of three times a vanguard will win at the end of the round.

I love chivalry but I am finding it harder and harder to play, the source being the overpowered-as-fuck vanguard class. Don’t even get me started on halberds. Please nerf this class or at least the halberd.

• Vanguard is the easiest class for new players to play, and the class that can kill new players most quickly, by other new players. We also happen to have a huge inflow of new players very recently.

Whether I play Vanguard or Knight doesn’t affect my score much, and I have seen plenty of good MAA who manage to top scoreboard. I have yet to see an archer top scoreboard, but I’ve seen a few archers go all the way to 2nd and 3rd places.

• I hate hate hate the halberd. Other vanguard weapons are fine, but the halberd… MAA is way more fun a lot of times than vanguard. The main problem with vanguards anyway is people rushing into fights stupidly lmb mashing and actually winning. A nerf I wouldn’t mind seeing is making combos cost much more stamina. I rarely combo and when I do, it’s overheads or stab/overhead.

• Maybe you should try a game mode other than free for all. Archers are useful as support, knights are the best for holding objectives, and man at arms is good for quickly taking objectives and flanking.

In 1v1 combat I find vanguards to be not nearly as threatening as a knight. I think it’s simply an issue of them farming points off of bad archer and MAA players.

• @crossdbl:

Why play as archer, or man at arms, or knight, when you can kill anything without even blocking as vanguard? How can anyone call vanguard a balanced class? Why do you think that over half the server plays as vanguard? Even if you don’t think vanguard is overpowered, half the server if not more is still playing as it. Play in a FFA match and I guarantee that two out of three times a vanguard will win at the end of the round.

I love chivalry but I am finding it harder and harder to play, the source being the overpowered-as-fuck vanguard class. Don’t even get me started on halberds. Please nerf this class or at least the halberd.

Untill you present an unbiased logical arguement you are just another nerf crying idiot as far as I’m concerned.

Nothing to see in this thread folks… move along.

• Good archers eat vanguards for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and fourth meal.

• As a noob who is like 30hrs in I can say this:

1. Vanguard is the easiest class to get kills with as a noob.

2. After about 20-30hrs in, you realize you have a real hard time with skilled players using ALL the other classes.

Go join a duelling server with some skilled people and you will see almost none of them use Vanguard.

Bottom line is that Vanguard is not OP, just noob friendly.

• Vanguard is definitely the worst melee class when isolated - and even a very good archer can hold their own in melee against a vanguard depending on the weapon choice of the two (shortsword two shots VG with stabs to the face, but most archers run cudgel for easier Knight kills, since you already beat VGs easily at range). VGs aren’t the best at holding objectives, and most of the objectives in Chivalry are about holding. You need some knights to back them up or they’ll be overwhelmed, because VGs rely on distance and you cannot hold an objective and create distance at the same time. The same is true in Last Team Standing, where the “objective” is essentially your archer(s). Knights are better for defending the archers, and Men-at-Arms can create flanking opportunities with their mobility. Vanguards depend on not being separated at all, which can be a problem if the other team’s archer(s) happens to be better than yours because you’ll have to charge in and try to take the fight to them - and being that VGs have no shields and drop in one headshot to a warbow, they’ll inevitably take a hit or two on their way - which is usually a casualty for at least one member of your team.

VGs are the heavy hitters in group fights. They can safely stab enemies who are already fighting someone else, they work great with other vanguards as well as with knights, and when they’re grouped up they can much more easily keep men-at-arms at bay. This fits perfectly well with their weapon choices - spears and polearms have always been used in formations in real combat and that’s reflected very well in Chivalry. Sword vanguards are much better solo fighters but pay for this with weaker group play because of their less powerful/shorter range pokes and dependence on combo attacks and slashes which can be dangerous to your own team, even overheads. This is why you will see tons of sword vanguards in pub servers and FFAs, but you will absolutely never see them in clan matches, because a knight with the sword of war essentially performs the same role better.

So that’s the point of the other classes and the point of the MaA. Free For All is not the mode the game is balanced for - it’s primarily an objective-based team game.

• @ReMixx:

Good archers eat vanguards for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and fourth meal.

An even better archer will do that to any class. Only encountered one though, almost made me wonder whether he was using some sort of aimbot. I sure was glad I was on his team, although there wasn’t much left for me to kill once I finally marched my way down to the enemy. :(

• Vanguards eat noobs.

Noobs play vanguards.

I am not very good, routinely in the bottom half of the scoreboard.

But playing my man-at-arms I destroy vanguards and archers.

Its the knight that destroys me because they swing faster.

Vanguard weapons are too slow to be effective.

• Vanguard is actually pretty underpowered/mediocre.