Projectile behaviour

• After racking up 72 hours of gameplay over a month and a half - I love Chivalry.

Being primarily an archer with a warbow - I’m shooting hundreds of arrows a day, I’ve on a few occasions noticed that:

Arrows on rare occasions do not register as a hit but they do appear in the enemy player’s model. The players aren’t bloodied but the arrow is visibly stuck in them (and they do not carry a shield so it wasn’t a block)
    This is extremely rare, I get it once or twice every few hours of gameplay - usually when the target is sprinting trying to flank me (so a very close range shot).
    To me, this looks like differences in clientside/serverside prediction.

When you die and an arrow is still in the air. The arrow in flight doesn’t seem to cause damage. (I’m uncertain about this, but I’ve never had an arrow hit if I get killed while the arrow is still in flight - what makes me believe this was that I was firing with broadheads at enemy archers (staying relatively still)) and the fact that no one can ever seem to get a kill after they have died (which is possible if you have projectiles).

Has anyone else experienced this with other projectiles - like throwing axes and knives? Are these features or rare bugs?

• Can’t say I’ve noticed that my projectiles some times don’t injure people. But yes, two archers can’t kill each other at the same time. When your die your arrow/throwing weapon/bolt disappears in the air.

• I think the problem first problem is that projectiles are server side entities, but stickies are client side. So while it appears from your perspective that your projectile hit and thus there’s an arrow stuck in the player model, to the server it was a near miss. UE3’s client side prediction is very good, but it’s not perfect, hence why this is so rare.

For projectiles disappearing if you die - that is a known issue which should be fixed eventually, but I don’t think it’s a high priority since it’s pretty uncommon.

• It should be a high priority, so many would-be kills that are currently not kills.

• I’ve also had situations where an arrow clearly hit a guy (witnessed via arrow-cam) but they took no damage; I rarely get the chance to check for an arrow still stuck in them, though. I assume it’s the same thing. This happens very rarely, maybe once a day tops, though I split my time between archer and man at arms fairly evenly.

(Once I was able to “hit” a guy 5 times without him taking any damage, as he was sort of stuck on rocks and was apparently invincible. O_o But that feels like a separate problem.)

• @stickytape:

I’ve also had situations where an arrow clearly hit a guy (witnessed via arrow-cam) but they took no damage; I rarely get the chance to check for an arrow still stuck in them, though. I assume it’s the same thing. This happens very rarely, maybe once a day tops, though I split my time between archer and man at arms fairly evenly.

(Once I was able to “hit” a guy 5 times without him taking any damage, as he was sort of stuck on rocks and was apparently invincible. O_o But that feels like a separate problem.)

Yeah, same principle. Your projectile camera still just shows a client side view of player positions, which can be very slightly off from server positions of players, moreso depending on the pings of the players involved.

• Its true!

I play(ed) mostly archer… And i even saw it happen on the opponent… Archer opponent aiming on me, shooting, but im faster with letting the arrow go… so he’s dead, but i receive a hit as well.
    BUT, this doesnt happen all the time… sometimes the arrow will vanish in the air while traveling.
    This happened to me, as well as it saved my ass.

So in my opinion… I think, it has to do with the range of the arrow. If you die, but you shot an arrow and the traveling distance is, lets say, 30 feet, you still hit the target…
    But when you are further away ( i dont know the real distance ), the arrow will vanish in the air.

What makes me sad sometimes is the following camera… I shoot an arrow, follow it, and it does hit a target. So the camera says, but in fact i didnt hit the enemy and i dont know why there is a delay or ping related issue, because the arrow camera is real life… If it hits, it should hit…
    To be honest, also this problem doesnt happen all the time… Sometimes i follow, it hits, and the enemy died…

So there are some variables and i have no clue, how to read them and when they are on or off…

Hope my message makes sense…
    Grtz Sharp

• Speaking of strange detection…

I notice (and often hear about from other team archers) that it appears that the arrow goes over your head and actually makes a sound of hitting the wall if you are close by and .5sec-1sec later boom you are dead. Does anyone else ever notice this? Basically an arrow that appears to be well over your head hits you and you die. The kill does not even always register as a headshot.

• @reQ.saintelliott:

Speaking of strange detection…

I notice (and often hear about from other team archers) that it appears that the arrow goes over your head and actually makes a sound of hitting the wall if you are close by and .5sec-1sec later boom you are dead. Does anyone else ever notice this? Basically an arrow that appears to be well over your head hits you and you die. The kill does not even always register as a headshot.

Similarly, I have noticed that I tend to aim well above heads (above what I would factor in for arrow drop) and find that I’m getting consistently more headshots. Lately, in arrowcam it looks like It’s a clear miss (over their head) and still rewards me with a headshot.

Vanguards beware.

• @BOT:

@reQ.saintelliott:

Similarly, I have noticed that I tend to aim well above heads (above what I would factor in for arrow drop) and find that I’m getting consistently more headshots. Lately, in arrowcam it looks like It’s a clear miss (over their head) and still rewards me with a headshot.

Vanguards beware.

What kind of distances are these shots at? I am typically a close player so my headshots are mostly obvious, line drive arrows. If anything it feels like the hitbox for the head is smaller than the actual head graphic @ close range.

• @reQ.saintelliott:

What kind of distances are these shots at? I am typically a close player so my headshots are mostly obvious, line drive arrows. If anything it feels like the hitbox for the head is smaller than the actual head graphic @ close range.

Typically, 10-15 ish yards. I notice it a lot more when there is a difference in elevation between my target and myself.

Think me at the Cata in the TO-King map (stoneshill?) and a van running from water, under broken bridge.

• @reQ.saintelliott:

I can confirm this too. The time between miss and dmg taken is long enough to think “That was clo…” and ur dead -.-

• I’m having lots of problems with projectiles disappearing at range or when they hit….on smaller servers, I hit consistently with lots of kills, but on fights with more than 10 people total then my arrows vanish, rubber band, and basically do everything but hit. I once had an arrow noclip through a knight charging right at me at point blank range. It is infuriating.

• @Tankcommander:

I’m having lots of problems with projectiles disappearing at range or when they hit….on smaller servers, I hit consistently with lots of kills, but on fights with more than 10 people total then my arrows vanish, rubber band, and basically do everything but hit. I once had an arrow noclip through a knight charging right at me at point blank range. It is infruiating.

It’s from the games netcode. This won’t be getting fixed anytime soon unless they redesign the actual game code, and you can bet they aren’t doing that at all. It’s a melee-based game and if you play ranged you are going to have a terrible time. It’s simply ping-based and for every player on the server it’s going to get worse, and worse, and worse.

• I have had arrows pass through players and not count as a hit. I have also had definite kill shots on other archers not count because their arrow landed first.

As a pellatist i have found i have a 1 in a 100 chance of landing very close ranged shots pretty much no matter where i aim the javelin. Which is frustrating, because its so much easier to land point blank/close range shots with throwing axes or knives.

• If you play this game as ranged, you should expect stuff like this to happen. They’ve mentioned so many times archers/crossbowman are just after-thoughts and support classes. Frankly, if they removed them I think the game would be in a better state rather than having them in half-assed as they do now.

• Archers give this game the spice of life. It makes for good and varied mallee combat.
    Anyway this thread is about projectile behaviour, not bad mallee’s behaviour.

On the whole i can live with archers the way they are, even though i am a few kills off the warbow and get owned by other warbow archers.

• Improving the feel of ranged combat is something we are continually working on.

• What bugs me is when I shoot an arrow just over the top of a Knight’s shield to headshot them, only to see my arrow stick to an invisible barrier above the shield.

• @Wiggz:

What bugs me is when I shoot an arrow just over the top of a Knight’s shield to headshot them, only to see my arrow stick to an invisible barrier above the shield.

I have experienced this tooooo many times!

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.