Steam Links

• Hey folks

I see that some people are putting direct links in to launch chivalry and join your servers (I Like it)

steam://run/219640/en/<insert ip="" url="" here="">

Now, im using URLs to point to servers e.g. chivalry01.xxxxxx -> and it works great - however it renames the players to PlayerXXX rather than picking up their steam name…

Any ideas why? or how to fix that?

Matt</insert>

• @Matt_2k34:

Hey folks

I see that some people are putting direct links in to launch chivalry and join your servers (I Like it)

steam://run/219640/en/<insert ip="" url="" here="">

Now, im using URLs to point to servers e.g. chivalry01.xxxxxx -> and it works great - however it renames the players to PlayerXXX rather than picking up their steam name…

Any ideas why? or how to fix that?

Matt</insert>

Is it renaming ALL players to PlayerXXX ? I know that if they have odd characters in their names, then it will change their names to that.

• Aha, i was testing it before I published to others…

Would a “_” or “:” be considered a ‘weird character’ as thats all i had? :(

• @Matt_2k34:

Aha, i was testing it before I published to others…

Would a “_” or “:” be considered a ‘weird character’ as thats all i had? :(

Anything that’s not an alphanumeric character I believe. Some of the “odd” ones get through, while others don’t. So try a few out and see. Try with and without.

• @Kimiko:

Anything that’s not an alphanumeric character I believe.

Bingo! Thanks… I Hadn’t thought of special characters…

Regards
    Matt

• No problem! Glad you got it figured out :D

• How make for russian players?
    steam://run/219640/en/ <insert ip="" url="" here="">made English lang before starting game.
    For change back need right click CMW, Lang - RU…
    Someone have ideas?

thnx</insert>

• @3axap:

How make for russian players?
    steam://run/219640/en/ <insert ip="" url="" here="">made English lang before starting game.
    For change back need right click CMW, Lang - RU…
    Someone have ideas?

thnx</insert>

It actually changed the language of the game for you? I tried putting different languages there and it always started in my default English regardless so I thought that didn’t matter. You can try ‘ru’ or ‘rus’…

• I’ve already tried (ru & rus). but still automatically put en :(

• @3axap:

I’ve already tried (ru & rus). but still automatically put en :(

If you launch the game through Steam, does it start in English or Russian - did the link change the default language?

• /rus/ or /ru/ - game language is english. If i launch the game through Steam (default game language - russian) - CMW with russian lang, russian menu and subtitles.

• @3axap:

/rus/ or /ru/ - game language is english. If i launch the game through Steam (default game language - russian) - CMW with russian lang, russian menu and subtitles.

Huh, weird! I don’t really know the answer as I first learned about the undocumented/ hidden alternate hyperlinks by reading a research paper by some people who reverse engineered it to point out security vulnerabilities. It might be possible to add a command line argument to the link to set the language. I can’t play with it now though.

This problem will be eliminated when the devs fix the Steam integration so that we can use the preferred steam://connect hyperlinks.

• thank you!