Shield changes(Great wall of text)

• So I have a suggestion on how to make the shields differentiate between temselves more and make it more of a decision when selecting which to use. It’ll be different then hurr durr dis 1 iz bigur.

Main idea: what I’m suggesting is a shield degration system(shields won’t break*). What I mean by degration is that each shield will have its own amount of “hit points” that will be taken down with each successful block with blunt damage being the most effective. Now at about 50% shield integrity you’ll start taking a very small amount of damage with each block that will steadily increase as the shield loses integrity. Once sheild integrity hits 0(will take a long time) you will take a maximum of 20 damage each block(unless the damage you recieve is less than 20). The two extremes of the shield, tower and buckler, will have their own special pros/cons so keep reading for that. Now onto the specific shields.

Tower shield: since the tower shield is the biggest and strongest my thought is that it will be invincible to shield degration, but you will recieve a movement speed decrease of 5% for balance.

Kite/heater: these two shields are the middle level shields that will take a good amount of damage without degrading and still let you move around with a relativity low speed reduction of -2.5/2%.

Buckler: being the lightest and flimsiest shield I think that this shield will give no speed reduction, BUT and this is a big one, once shield integrity hits zero it will shatter and you will flinch and receive 20 damage. ORRR it will give a speed reduction of 1% and at 0 shield integrity you’ll receive 25 damage instead of 20. I’m not too sure as to how easy it would be to implement shield breakage in this engine.

Now I also want to make special note that this should be a server option. Also this system can be greatly expanded on if TA decides to add more shields. Also it should take a considerable amount of damage to the shield before you take damage and even longer before you reach 0 shield integrity.
    Thanks for reading all this! :)

P.S. this is my second time writing this my power went out just before I sent in the last one so I had to write this on my iPhone so please read all of it and don’t say no without giving a reason why. I’m looking forward to all your input!
    -Mercer

• I say no.

This system implemented only on shields would give advatange to people who don’t use them (and I think it should be quite the opposite, shields are supossed to give you an advantage when you parry compared to a weapon), why?, because once you reach X amount of parries you will receive damage just for blocking with the shield and you will receive no damage at all no matter how many times you block with a weapon.

The only way I see this viable is if both weapons and shields would have this system (which I don’t like). Obviously the weapons would require less hits than a shield to reach 0 integrity.

• Hmm I didn’t think of that but still I don’t find it realistic to block a mail with a sheild 15 times and I don’t find it realistic to block a maul with a dagger once. Maybe a better working flinch system?

• shield hitboxes should be tightened up so that you can actually hit the feet when you’re looking at and stabbing them, but with the new patch and the alternate swings i don’t think shields will be that much of a problem

• Isnt a shield system already in place? A shield means no throwable weapon, reduced stamina but option to hold a block longer than weapon wielders can. What is wrong with the current system?

• Alternate swings dont scare me. its being poked in the feet without any way of moving my shield downwards. I dont understand why you rush little parts of the game without taking all of them in consideration. Shield changes need to be made as with the last patch overheads have been too effective against small shields. its a hit counter issue. They increased the length on kite shields and even tower shields (to balance weapon increases for two handers), but the length of bucklers remains so shit its a MUST to add height blocking. slash’s should be the death of shields.(hence a wall of shields being effective) Yet all i see is overhead problems due to balancing issues. You forget there was a whole community in the old game (which every member of this forum likes to forget ever existed) that was really good at keeping a point defended with a jav. Say good bye to those Achilles type heroes. Its the age of the vanguards.

The small shields should be harder to block slash’s then overheads even if they are round. the heater shields should have that extra length making them more effective at quickly getting up to defend the head otherwise theres no point in choosing that over a kite or heater shield. in other words the MAA and Archer shields are terrible. The knight shields are perfect. BIg balance issue there considering the stats are misleading to begin with. Double fuck up. Firstly the Issue with the weapons/Armour and now and issue with the class balancing as-well. defensive capabilities in this game are very unbalanced right now.

If every class has access to every weapon and torn banner made the class system work like equipment in WOW then this game would go off the hook. Unfortunently they didnt want to evolve from the last interface by more then 2 strides, so they made the selection completely random i assume. If its Hollywood themed then we want to wield a two handed claymore as knight. or a claymore as a vanguard. Instead you keep insisting on specific weapons being “wielded” by these rolls in an imaginary society. why was a claymore only able to be wielded or picked up by vanguards? why couldn’t both class’s share the same weapons?

• i dont really whine,

i dont hate vanguards (i play 2h sword of war knight)

i dont hate archers

i dont even hate TK’ers, they just make the game more interesting and easier to win 3v1’s

but i am starting to hate shields. maybe im missing out on something, but unless the guy whos using it doesnt know what hes doing, theyre pretty much impossible to beat for me.

any tips?

• If you do an overhead and jump at the same time with a long enough weapon and if you’re close enough it is actually impossible for the defender to look up enough to parry or block.

Remember that parrying with a shield drains stamina so you can always try to tire them. Shields also obscure vision so if they hold the block you can try to move enough to the side to hit around it.

• @togfox:

Isnt a shield system already in place? A shield means no throwable weapon, reduced stamina but option to hold a block longer than weapon wielders can. What is wrong with the current system?

Block longer???

You mean you cant block forever???

omg that explains a lot…

• Instead of the loss of integrity over a long time, I would suggest to make it happen faster and let it regenerate to full efficiency when out of combat. (like stamina)
    this would make the system work on 1v1 duels as well.

• You can Block with a shield for as long as you have stamina but yor stamina doesnt last forever.

• @togfox:

You can Block with a shield for as long as you have stamina but yor stamina doesnt last forever.

^This in a meaningful context:
    What the OP is suggesting is completely unnecessary because stamina is depleted for each block and the amount of stamina lost is dependent on which shield is being used.

Shields are tactically very easy to deal with. Its very easy to drain someones fatigue when they are using a shield.

IMHO shields are too weak. The would be better balanced if the players view was pointed slightly higher.

• @smokingbobs:

Instead of the loss of integrity over a long time, I would suggest to make it happen faster and let it regenerate to full efficiency when out of combat. (like stamina)
    this would make the system work on 1v1 duels as well.

That seems like a interesting idea I really like it. Seems like it could work pretty well too.

• You can break my shield only if i get repair hammers. (Oblivion reference anyone?)

• @giantyak:

IMHO shields are too weak. The would be better balanced if the players view was pointed slightly higher.

IMHO shields are stupid and people who hide behind them are girly. I see a couple posts basically saying they want force fields. “I want people to not get over the top of the shield and crush my head!” “Why can people hit me while I have my shield up if they’re behind me? Buff shields pl0x!”

Screw shields. Flails will be so fun! Can’t wait for the floods of threads about flail OPness against shields! “I should be able to block EVERYTHING FOREVER!!!”