Shields need durability

• shields need durability

• To go into further detail….

Totally agree on a need for shields to be altered in some way, for both pub gameplay and competition reasons.

A few potential suggestions:

Shields can take x hits before they break. I would suggest the wooden shields like the MAA/Jav shields would last 6 blocked hits or so. I don’t particularly think the metal shields should break realistically ( I wouldn’t be opposed) but should slightly damage the wielder/other negative action each time they block with the shield.

• Been suggested and discussed many times. Not gonna happen. Useless thread

• As I said in another thread about shield breaking… No
    If shields break weapons need to break too, if only shields break weapons have an advantage parrying.

• my idea is as follows:

first and second block do no damage
    the third block does 10% of the weapons full damage, any attack after that does 5% on top of previous.

otherwise there are no real draw backs from shields, apart from speed, but if your using a shield who cares? just hold it up and your safe until your mates turn up.

boring for duels too

• Shields don’t need to break when you can hit around them, and it’s not that hard of a thing to do.

• Shoot arrows under them or use firepots. Duh. :roll:

• Aren’t flails going to be a counter to shields as well?

• Shields are already pretty useless IMO. They make you slow, block most of your vision, tend to be pretty poor at successfully blocking compared to a parry, you get easily circled around.

As to pros, they’re great against a team full of archers. Allow you to easily defend from knives and axes while advancing. They make it almost impossible to feint.

I use them pretty situationally.

Note that these make them generally useless to my playstyle, others might love them and to pretty well with them.

It’s pretty balanced.

• @ReMixx:

Shoot arrows under them or use firepots. Duh. :roll:

Why the pissy attitude?

Also can you show me the screen where Knights and Vanguards can pick the firepot or arrows…oh wait!

Duh :roll:

• @NoMilLord:

@ReMixx:

Shoot arrows under them or use firepots. Duh. :roll:

Why the pissy attitude?

Also can you show me the screen where Knights and Vanguards can pick the firepot or arrows…oh wait!

Duh :roll:

I killed a guy yesterday throwing my axe at his feet. So if you think outside the box, you don’t need firepots or arrows.

• I dont really understand why do shields need durability.

I think they are fine as they are. Having a shield is supposed to make your life easier when it comes to blocking, and by picking a shield you have less offensive options. If you dont, you offensive options are expanded but you gotta aim your parrys better and have better timing. Everything balances out.

By adding durability, you are adding a disadvantage for shield users, and it is that at some point in the fight, the shield breaks and they have to adapt their parries mid-fight to adapt to the new situation.

• I killed a guy yesterday throwing my axe at his feet. So if you think outside the box, you don’t need firepots or arrows.

Only 2 axes and if you play with the shield as a Knight this is not a option.
    You also missed my point which more to do with bad manners as opposed to me having issues with the shield. But I appreicate your reply/idea.

• When every second player has a missile weapon of some sort, whether that is a thrown axe or a bow, you need some players with shields, otherwise games will stagnate.

They only really benefit when players are in a one on one, otherwise they are not much use…smack someone on the back of the head, and their shield is obviously no help. Otherwise, take a good fast backup weapon…the more you work them, the more chance to get through.