Rewards for Winning

• Winning a game. So this isn’t as much of a problem as it is a suggestion for the game to promote replayability along with teamwork and strategy. I’m sure a lot of people understand what I’m talking about when they join an Official Team Objective server, or even a King of the Hill server and see no one even attempting to go for the objective because either;

A. It is simply too hard without the entire team’s coordination, which is near impossible to ask of each and every one of your allies
    or
    B. Everyone simply wants to farm their weapon kills for the next type of weapon. This attitude directly contributes and causes A.

Because the matches do have a time-limit and an official end to them, winning a possible hour long match should feel glorifying and rewarding. Winning a game doesn’t directly benefit me in any way, so why would I try to win when I can be busy farming up for my next mace?

Someone might argue that “Well if you are doing the objective, kills are probably bound to be achievable if you are near the objective or trying to complete it.” This is very hard to argue because normally when someone attempts to do an objective, they have absolutely no way of defending themselves and will probably end up racking up the death count to end the game with a very negative K/D ratio. Which isn’t very fun.

Examples: -If you’re holding a torch to light the way for your ships, you have no way to block or attack without completely losing your ability to complete the objective (throwing the torch). Even if you do successfully work to light the fire and die when it is 99% lit, the other team simply makes all of your progress worthless by standing there for 10 seconds.

-If you are attempting to shove the battering ram, you stand there holding it in complete immersion and cannot move or attack. An easy kill for any class who spots you with little to no reward for trying to conquer the castle.

-If you are going to slay the King’s heirs in their hobbit-holes, you will have to attack a wooden door while people will simply wail on you from behind.

-If you are defending the King, you should obviously be more than willing to give your life for him which ends up happening a lot if you are standing there taking the hits for him.

-If you are attempting to raise the flag in King of the Hill, you will just be a sitting duck trying to gain control of the square while you try to block the onslaught of people trying to farm their kills.
    –-

My point is not to give these actions an easier way to do them.

The main point is, why am I trying to do these things? As much as I like dying for an objective, it doesn’t effect anything in the scheme of things. And what is stopping me from just leaving a match when we are not winning? These are things that make this game “that game on the side” which it has more potential than that. It deserves to be a game that I can enjoy AND want to play for hours at a time.

Some people might say,“Well, don’t play Team Objective if you don’t want to participate. Play Team Deathmatch and just kill people like you want to.” This isn’t what I want to do because the idea of an awesome seige on a castle or a chance to defend my honorable people from the invading forces gives that feel that this game brings of a true Medieval war between two factions that want to represent their color and fight for their hometown glory. Who doesn’t want to be a badass knight slicing their way to honor for the crest on their chest?

Fighting other people is encouraged through the weapon unlock system. You get a kill, you get closer to a bigger and badder weapon that you’re excited to get and see the destruction it can bring. This is cool because it keeps me playing and on the lookout for easy kills on my enemies.
    Winning the game is a whole different story. I don’t care if my team wins or not, but I want to because I believe that’s what this game is about.

So… How can the developers make it so winning feels rewarding? This is an area that simply relies on the developers ability to incorporate rewards. In many other games, a person unlocks characters and items. Well… You start with all four classes and the weapons are already unlockable through kills. So what else is there?

The big thing in a lot of now competitive and extremely popular games is a rating of some sort or groups that people can be classified in. You gain rating by winning and lose some by losing; or you get closer to a new group classification (New|Intermediate|Pro) the more you win. If this is too complicated and unfathomable, then make some style upgrades for an outfit change the more wins a person has. I don’t mean to be another “Add helmets” or “Add customization” poster; and that is not what I am begging for; but I believe the producers absolutely need something to keep the players trying to win, trying to outplay their opponents, and… well playing.

TL;DR There should be a reward system for Winning matches instead of just for kills. This promotes a player attitude that is solely based on getting kills and leaving whenever, switching teams whenever, but mainly no sense of caring about the satisfaction of being a victor of a match.

Also feel free to post if you agree and have a suggestion about a win-reward type system that could help the developers and improve the game’s satisfying combat with immersing after match glory.

• Agreed 100percent. I am not sure what kinds of rewards need to be implemented but there definitely needs to be some. There is absolutely no cohesion between pubs and winning definitely feels like an afterthought. A teammate actually said the only reason they go to the “STOP” or “PUSH” objectives is to find enemies to kill.

Weapon unlocks are great and I HATE people who come in just to get killing blows but, really, can you blame them?

• Winning is it’s own reward. Playing a good game is it’s own reward. A person being motivated to win beyond these things is not a competitor.

There’s a name for those people, but for now I’ll call them Agatha :bonk:

• I dunno’. If there’s a reward for winning, then there’s a consequence for losing, and I don’t like losing because of bad pubbers eh?

I always say, the only thing sweeter than winning is making someone else lose. That is its own reward, and I think it would put too much pressure into the normally “release stress environment” that pubbing offers in this game. I’m not entirely against it, since I win all the time and it would be nice to have something to show for it, but I don’t like the pressure it would put on me every time I have terribad team mates that TK each other and me in spawn.

• You make very good points, and I agree with them to some extent.

My personal impression of the game so far has actually been that most players tend to focus on the objective. I find that only some of your stated examples of situations occurs frequently enough to bother me, and not even much so. But as you say, it is annoying when teammates leave the objective to a few players in a hopeless situation due to selfishness.

The idea of implementing rewards for winning is a very good idea for encouraging players to more often stay focused on the objective. However, I fear that this could lead to bad atmosphere in the in-game communications.

My experience with certain competitive games is that people are often greatly upset when they play with people who disbenefit their team. This almost always leads to discrimination, and vote-kicking against players that are less skilled. I would hate to see this behaviour find its way to Chivalry, because I’ve found that the spirit between players is generally good.

To summarize my opinions: Rewards for winning is an efficient way of making people act less selfish in the game, but a reward system may make in-game communications hostile towards many players.

• The developers could possibly add cosmetic rewards for various goals. Keep it so that unlocking weapons = using weapons, but unlocking fancy hats = objectives/winning. For example, you could get a certain helmet for winning X amount of games as class Y. Or another for killing the King as class Y, or pushing the battering ram/bomb cart/corpse wagon X distance as class Y.

In terms of cosmetics, you could have pretty much limitless options in order to incentivize players, by letting them choose their personal flair by actually being a team player. Pretty much any objective or game mode could allow for a helmet of some sort tied to it.

Hats are plenty of incentive to railroad people into doing what you want them to do, as another “free” game suggests. The main, negative consequence that might occur as a result is people becoming more extrinsically motivated to win, rather than intrinsically motivated to win and enjoy playing the game.

• Pride; isn’t this enough?

I’d venture that when people have unlocked their weapons they will move on to something more challenging.

• @tlbww:

Winning is it’s own reward. Playing a good game is it’s own reward. A person being motivated to win beyond these things is not a competitor.

There’s a name for those people, but for now I’ll call them Agatha :bonk:

There is no sense of achievement of reward in winning a team based match in a public server. The victory was not through your own skill alone, nor through coordination due to it being a public server.

For these reasons, there is no potent motivation to focus on the objective. There truly is no reason to even try to win.

Of course, when you talk about competitive clan based or friend based matches, it’s different. Playing with people you know in an organized fashion while trying to crush your other friends or rivals heads in; that’s awesome and is definitely its own reward.

It’s just for public matches that the current system is not enough.

• Wow I’m glad to see such a positive response from the community.

People may think this is a minor issue, but it really detracts from the game’s continuous value. Playing over and over doesn’t feel as satisfying as it would in other games, and when someone is discouraged they have absolutely no reason to feel empowered that their team is winning because of their efforts.

@Reginhard:

Pride; isn’t this enough?

I’d venture that when people have unlocked their weapons they will move on to something more challenging.

The point is, a lot of great games in history give you that sense of pride by giving you a sense of conquering your opponent. For example in some of the Megaman series, you unlocked a new skill or gun that enhanced and improved your character as a reward for your hard efforts. That gave you that sense of pride with a reward even if it was something small like a dash ability.

And you’re right, when they unlocked all of the weapons they will go on to something more challenging… A different game where they can continuously progress after they technically “beat” Chivalry by unlocking everything.

• I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand I do like progression.

But if you start giving rewards for winning then its going to make people drop out of a losing game if they feel they cannot win - making the match even worse.

Personally I just like beating the other team.

• @gregcau:

I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand I do like progression.

But if you start giving rewards for winning then its going to make people drop out of a losing game if they feel they cannot win - making the match even worse.

Personally I just like beating the other team.

Obviously the game can have some detrimental effect on those that leave early.

I believe this is such an extreme point that will be overlooked.
    The player base may suddenly drop drastically and people are going to wonder why this is happening.
    This is basically the core of it right here.

Without a reason to win, to play, to fight; there’s going to be a loss of interest in a few months.

• @SirChuckles:

Without a reason to win, to play, to fight; there’s going to be a loss of interest in a few months.

My reason to play/fight/win is to obliterate as many people as I can. I enjoy destroying people with my giant hammer and it will never get old! I am a very angry and violent person! :D

• You think that, but after you’ve done it over and over without any difference from the last, its going to get old. Everything loses value if there’s no replayability and lasting power.

• Well, they are putting out new weapons,maps,gametypes,ect. That will be fun. I don’t see why someone would need some kind of pointless reward for winning a game… Like a pat on the head saying “good job!” The way I see it, splattering people is reward enough.

Although…

If you’re going to put in rewards for winning it should not interfere with the balance of the game… Maybe options for armor customization similar to veteran helmets for x number of wins? Eventually, everyone would have these rewards and TB would have to create some new reward to feed people and it would be some never ending reward-fest.

I’d rather them stick to more content in the form of weapons/maps/game types.

• @Slaughtervomit:

Well, they are putting out new weapons,maps,gametypes,ect. That will be fun. I don’t see why someone would need some kind of pointless reward for winning a game… Like a pat on the head saying “good job!” The way I see it, splattering people is reward enough.

Although…

If you’re going to put in rewards for winning it should not interfere with the balance of the game… Maybe options for armor customization similar to veteran helmets for x number of wins? Eventually, everyone would have these rewards and TB would have to create some new reward to feed people and it would be some never ending reward-fest.

Agreed. I’d rather this NOT become Chivalry: Hat Warfare, like TF2 became in a lot of its community’s eyes.

• I just died 12 times and only achieved 3 kills but finished top of the scoreboard 370 points. Not sure how the ranking works but if it is in anyway connected to points then that’s enough of a reward for being a team player isn’t it?

• @Slaughtervomit:

Yeah this.

• @gregcau:

@Slaughtervomit:

Yeah this.

Well that’s that then surely? Points and pride and anything else isn’t required, wanted (by the majority) or viable.

• Currently people do not play objective seriously. There is really no reward for winning objective games. For LTS it is sure prideful to kill everyone, but a simple addition would be earning 100 wins with team objective game for an achievement and perhaps a decal/banner on your armor.

There are many cosmetic things that can be given out via achievements like the Veteran helmet for each class.

There can be banners, helmets, armor sets, tunics, etc. There are hundreds of different styles you can go with and nothing that changes the gameplay but just visually, the reason TF2 was successful was a part due to the popularity of the game with hats. People love customizations!

• @seriously:

Currently people do not play objective seriously. There is really no reward for winning objective games. For LTS it is sure prideful to kill everyone, but a simple addition would be earning 100 wins with team objective game for an achievement and perhaps a decal/banner on your armor.

There are many cosmetic things that can be given out via achievements like the Veteran helmet for each class.

There can be banners, helmets, armor sets, tunics, etc. There are hundreds of different styles you can go with and nothing that changes the gameplay but just visually, the reason TF2 was successful was a part due to the popularity of the game with hats. People love customizations!

Just cant see how you can say that there is no real reward for winning TO. Without wanting to put words in your mouth, I take it that you feel that we aren’t being individually rewarded by playing towards the objective (this was the starting point of this thread). The reward for the winning team is just that: winning.

Currently people do not play objective seriously

I’m guessing that most people want to finish top of the scoreboard and by getting on with the objective they will do. If people don’t appreciate how the points system for TO works then that’s their lookout and all the better for those who do.

People love customizations!

You’re not wrong.

There is however a lot of debate about this on other threads. I’m all for a rank based further helmet options and if points = rank (which I’m not 100% on) then the rewards are there for the taking.