Weapon sweetspots, whiffs.

• Now many of you may be familiar with m&b sweet-spot system: damage depends on the stage of the swing weapon hit an enemy - hit too soon and weapon wouldnt have enough momentum to even deal damage (whiff) same is with the lates stage of swing when weapon starts to stop - minimal damage.
    Unfortunately m&b system doesnt consider polearm weapon shafts as minimal damage area (Which War of the Roses game claims to do). So while Chivalry is at the stage of polishing game/balance/fixing bugs its a good time to ask for such improvement - adding various damage on the lenght and the stage of a swing “plane”

Here is an example with a hammer (Minimal damage on the start of a swing and the end, reduced damage on shaft area):

Swords would have similar scheme, but as they dont have shaft they would have hight damage through all the lenght and maximum somewhere between 60-80% on the lenght (like real swords do) and low-minimal damage close to the handle.

This suggestion is not just to make combat more various it should fix several things that are reported in other threads:

**- Fix instant damage from overhead attack which is unable to block - happens when 2 people stand close to each other so that overhead connects just at the start of a swing;

• Balance long polearm weapons vanguards have like bardiche and halberd a bit;
    • Make 1h weapons more useful as damage wont spread so much over their lenght;
    • Make Smiley happy.**

• i’m all for this as long as it’s done within resonable boundaries and doesnt lead to candy cane fighting.

• I feel like with any amount of lag this would kill the game. Also, it’s already wonky judging distances and this would make it even weirder.

• @Fragbert:

I feel like with any amount of lag this would kill the game. Also, it’s already wonky judging distances and this would make it even weirder.

for me that’s really only the case on servers with high player numbers. and even with those, optimization can do wonders.

• I suppose we’ll have to see when the new patch comes out. I do like playing with more players but I normally have to play on 24 man servers to have a reasonable ping.

• @Fragbert:

I feel like with any amount of lag this would kill the game. Also, it’s already wonky judging distances and this would make it even weirder.

Yes, I though of it too, but lag is not as horrible as you describe, besides such sweetspots should be compensated a bit like hitboxes in fps games are slightly larger max damage areas could be slightly larger as well and it will still work to prevent full damage from bardiche from face-hug distance.

• I like this suggestion and the concept art for it is nice and clear! :)
    Seems like it would add some realism.

One thing I find annoying is when someone facing AWAY from you slightly clips you with the start of their swing animation, but you take a full hit. This seems like it would reduce that.

• I like this idea, but as I’ve expressed when it was discussed in the past, I don’t think it would work for Chivalry right now - it would change a whole lot of the combat and be a big mess for a long while before it could be nailed down right. Maybe further down the line when patches don’t need to come out as quickly, there could be an extended beta to test some more radical changes like this thoroughly and get them working in a way that feels right before releasing on to live. If not, I think stuff like this should definitely be a consideration for Chivalry 2 ;)

• @SlyGoat:

If not, I think stuff like this should definitely be a consideration for Chivalry 2 ;)

CHIVALRY 2!!! I can’t wait! I’ve got it on pre-order!

• I don’t understand the point of sweet spots, unless you significantly change the HTK from say, 0.1s in release to 0.3s in release, for example, Maul doesn’t 1 hit kill Archer if it hits early in release, but it does later in release; otherwise, subtracting a few points of damage becomes useless and a complete waste of time just to make people happy because ‘it’s there’.

• Oh Marth and your tips.

It may reduce all the lmb but it also make the MMA kinda hard to land a good hit in. Dodging and weaving in and out and swinging while moving.

• @Martin:

I don’t understand the point of sweet spots, unless you significantly change the HTK from say, 0.1s in release to 0.3s in release, for example, Maul doesn’t 1 hit kill Archer if it hits early in release, but it does later in release; otherwise, subtracting a few points of damage becomes useless and a complete waste of time just to make people happy because ‘it’s there’.

This.
    Would mess with balance soooo much. Doesn’t affect swords/spears. Nerfs polearms to the ground.
    I don’t see the point WHY we need it. Next game maybe.

• @Martin:

I don’t understand the point of sweet spots, unless you significantly change the HTK from say, 0.1s in release to 0.3s in release, for example, Maul doesn’t 1 hit kill Archer if it hits early in release, but it does later in release; otherwise, subtracting a few points of damage becomes useless and a complete waste of time just to make people happy because ‘it’s there’.

Well I placed reasons in bold in OP. Basically idea was making secondary weapon more useful - right now rare vanguard ever would switch to 1h weapon, if his bardiche whiffed on facehuggers he might have started using kicks or switch to 1h. Second main reason was overhead attack that hits too soon or a swing that is mouse dragged into an enemy to hit instantly, but I guess those could be fixed with attack timer which would reduce damage in early attack (I didnt quite understand if its already in or could be added)