Why game so hard

• i understand the mechanics but am having a hard time getting them to work for me

if i get parried im obviously at a disadvantage and will lose to their counter attack if i try to attack
    but if i parry them and counter attack myself most of the time their second swing beats me anyway
    if i feint at a parry and attack again to punish they usually recover in time to block again anyway
    no matter how smart i try to play i just lose to people who mindlessly spam left click with vanguard

what am i doing wrong? why do the mechanics work for everyone else but not me? how do you beat swing spammers anyway? because parry doesnt seem to provide any kind of counter.

• We’ll need more details on your preferred class and weapons, but speaking in general:

1. If you are parried, immediately backpedal. Prepare to parry (if you are still in attack range) or step forward into range to counterattack (after you evade the parry combo).

2. When you successfully parry, immediately use a thrust or an overhead before your parry completes, as I find these attacks generally connect the fastest. In most cases you want to close to point-blank range at this stage to increase the chances of bypassing blocks/parries. ALWAYS sprint while attacking forward, though keep in mind that pressing shift at the wrong times will get you stuck in walk mode in many cases, limiting your range.

3. Only feint when you are (1) actually in range to connect and (2) the target has demonstrated the ability to parry or block consistently. If you feint while out of range, the target will ignore you and will not block/parry, if you feint against an opponent who doesn’t know how or does not choose to parry/block, he will hit you.

4. The best way to defeat spammers is to backpedal from their first attack while winding up your own, then stepping forward to connect with your attack long before the target’s second attack releases. Dodging or parrying accomplishes the same thing, while blocking with a shield works to a lesser degree. Having a longer weapon helps, but timing is much more important (and a low ping!).

P.S. Missing is a bad thing. Never, ever miss. Being parried or blocked is infinitely preferable to missing a swing.

• @FrostFire626:

P.S. Missing is a bad thing. Never, ever miss. Being parried or blocked is infinitely preferable to missing a swing.

Not when your opponents rush in after an intentional missed swing to get beheaded by the combo swing…

• @JHoersten2:

@FrostFire626:

Not when your opponents rush in after an intentional missed swing to get beheaded by the combo swing…

Yes, this can happen when the enemy makes the mistake of walking his attack rather than sprinting it. Properly timed, an archer with the smallest dagger can always flinch the combo attack in time, unless the intentionally missed swing was done at such a long range that it should have simply been ignored.

• Its all about mixing it up with your timing. I really like it because it is pretty realistic in my opinion that you can get into people’s heads and get them guessing wrong about what you are going to do next. Once you put in more time you will get the timing down and figure out how to piece together your attacks and mix them up with feints and kicks/shield bashes.

• @FrostFire626:

We’ll need more details on your preferred class and weapons

I’m still in the stage of playing everything to unlock all the weapons and get to grips with the game. I random class in most matches. My favourite so far is definitely MAA with falchion or war axe. Using dash to land big hits kind of lets me avoid the combat system I suck at. :p

Thanks for the tips. It sounds like my problem might be timing my follow-ups quickly enough.

• @SirKitty:

@FrostFire626:

We’ll need more details on your preferred class and weapons

I’m still in the stage of playing everything to unlock all the weapons and get to grips with the game. I random class in most matches. My favourite so far is definitely MAA with falchion or war axe. Using dash to land big hits kind of lets me avoid the combat system I suck at. :p

Thanks for the tips. It sounds like my problem might be timing my follow-ups quickly enough.

I tend to respond to advice threads with walls of text. Hope it helps in the long run though.

• It’s pretty hard to explain to someone how to play.

Here’s some videos to get you started:

tfpsoBX3EDk

llnRxtazljg

Holidays are over and I’ve replaced my broken mouse and, Argon willing, will soon be able to start working on my own video guide again.

• @SlyGoat:

It’s pretty hard to explain to someone how to play.

Here’s some videos to get you started:

tfpsoBX3EDk

llnRxtazljg

Holidays are over and I’ve replaced my broken mouse and, Argon willing, will soon be able to start working on my own video guide again.

These were great vids. I didn’t realize though that I needed to sprint with my followups, that should help.

• The difference between running speed and sprinting speed is pretty stark, and you immediately gain 50% of the sprint speed boost when you hit shift - the other 50% fades in gradually over a few seconds, but that 50% alone makes a huge difference. And sprinting costs nothing - so you should pretty much always sprint towards an enemy if you aren’t in range of an attack or if they’re moving backwards.