Will class limits be implimented on official servers?

• I know that class limits are being added in the upcoming content patch and I’m wondering if there are any plans to use them on official servers, mostly ones used for Team Objective.

I love Team Objective. It’s pretty much the only mode I play. And when I join the server, and the first thing I see when I join a team looks a little something like this, this, this, this, this, this or this (I think you get my point by now), my first reactions are typically: “We’re going to get steamrolled.” “We’re gonna be stuck in the spawn for the whole round.” and “This isn’t going to be enjoyable for anyone involved.”

When the teams are set out like this it’s pretty much a guaranteed loss for your team unless the other team consists of people who just bought the game or if they have just as many archers as your team does (I’ve seen it happen. 6 Archers in each team on a 24 person server.). And it’s not going to be an enjoyable experience for anyone in the server. One team gets to sit in the spawn for ~15 minutes, slowly trickling out individuals who actually want to take the objective who are then slaughtered by the knights, vanguards and man-at-arms who will vastly outnumber them.
    I think it would improve the game for everyone if you limit archers on official servers to 2-3, depending on the player limit for the server. Despite what a lot of people say, archers can sometimes, maybe be somewhat useful to have on occasion, but only in small numbers. Anything more than 3 (even 3 can be pushing it) on a 12 man team is pretty much a death sentence against a team mostly consisting of melee fighters.

The only problem I can see with limiting the class like this is that people would just race to choose archer before anyone else can, so people who ‘main’ archer might have to experience the horror of having to play a melee class in a game designed around melee combat. This could result in teams always having 3 (or whatever the limit is) archers in every single game because people will see the class as something that everyone else is competing to play and will try and claim it for themselves whenever they can.

Overall I really think that TB should consider putting the limits onto their servers. It would massively reduce the amount of steamrolls and would generally improve the flow of games since less people will be sitting on their own away from the combat, which the game prides itself on.

• As much as i hate when there’s more archers than anything else, I don’t think TB should limit people’s choices for what they enjoy playing as. Private servers can add this, but official servers should be set straight vanilla with the default options/classes/loadouts available to everyone.

• Just imagine though if those 6 archers weren’t all noobs and were actually GOOD archers.

I hate it too though when I see that. I will usually wait a few moments to see if people switch classes, then I will check out the other team to see if its more balanced and perhaps join them. I don’t intend to back the winning horse or anything but when I see that many archers on one team, I usually end up seeing multiple noob archers at the back of the lines trying to snipe people and not accomplishing anything. I would much rather kill them than team with them!

Still though, I think it would be fun to see a competent archer team in action.

• I don’t like the idea of limiting people’s options either, but with a class like archer it really messes up the game when you have too many on a team so I see this as a lesser evil than not having any limits at all.

• A team with multiple skilled archers would be terrifying. I’ve seen a few good archers in-game and they’re pretty much unbeatable. I watched someone sniping across the map with the heavy crossbow and actually topping the scoreboard from it. Just thinking about playing against archers who can consistently hit with a bow or crossbow is horrifying.

• I usually play as vanguard with Archers following close. I often find myself pinned down by archers not able to move forward even zig zagging. Thats when I switch to archer, kill a bunch of the enemy archers. Which normaly works pretty well and switch back to vanguard to find my way free of arrows. (I dont know what they do, change class or move to another spot idk but it works). The point is if I’m not able to switch class I’m more than willing to leave the game alltogether. I would rather play with a shitty archer team then with a class I currently dont want to play.

• @restinpieces:

I usually play as vanguard with Archers next close behind. I often find myself pinned down by archers not able to move forward even zig zagging. Thats when i switch to archer, kill a bunch of the enemy archers which normaly works pretty well and swtich back to vanguard to find my was free of arrows. ( I dont know what dey do change class or move to another spot idk). The point is if im not able to switch class im more then willing to leave the game altogether. I would rather play with a shitty archer team then with a class I currently dont want to play.

True. If I was forced to play a certain class because there are already too many of that class in game then that would take a LOT of fun out of the game for me. Just imagine when they release new weapons for specific classes, like flails. I don’t know if it is restricted to knight, but imagine if they had ‘class limits’ when a new class specific weapon comes out. Only a small amount of people will get to test them out at a time. No bueno!

• I see where you’re both getting at. There are some situations where archers can be useful, and if the spots for archer are already taken by people who don’t know what they’re doing it can be frustrating to watch. But 9/10 times a melee class is more useful to have than an archer, especially if there are already 3 or so people playing as one. 3 People playing archer means that you have 3 less people in the fight so having even more would put your team at a massive disadvantage. Switching to archer to take out another archer is pretty much the same as switching to sniper to counter-snipe in an FPS. It can be useful, but when your team already has a few snipers it’s gonna cause more harm than good because you’re taking yourself out of the fight when you’re already missing so many people. I do see it becoming frustrating for people who think they can do a better job than the people who nabbed the open slots before them, but it’s a lot more frustrating for everyone to have to deal with half of their team pretty much not doing anything.

• I don’t think class limits should be put on public games. The idea of pubic games is to go in with a bunch of random people and being able to play however you want with whatever you want. If you don’t like a server’s setup, just leave and find another. Putting a limit just isn’t the way to go.

• Since I’ve already got the thread up ranting about archers, can someone answer me this?
    What is it that people see in playing archer? Nearly every server I join looks just like the images I posted in the OP. What is it that drives people to play the one ranged class in a game that was supposed to be entirely melee-oriented with ranged combat added as just an afterthought? You see tons of people just sitting miles away from the fight, even on the edge of the spawn sometimes where they can’t be reach. Do people really find this enjoyable? I just don’t get it. It’s like playing sniper exclusively in an FPS, only way worse because you’re the only guy using ranged when everyone else is up close fighting in melee.

• @David:

Since I’ve already got the thread up ranting about archers, can someone answer me this?
    What is it that people see in playing archer? Nearly every server I join looks just like the images I posted in the OP. What is it that drives people to play the one ranged class in a game that was supposed to be entirely melee-oriented with ranged combat added as just an afterthought? You see tons of people just sitting miles away from the fight, even on the edge of the spawn sometimes where they can’t be reach. Do people really find this enjoyable? I just don’t get it. It’s like playing sniper exclusively in an FPS, only way worse because you’re the only guy using ranged when everyone else is up close fighting in melee.

The problem is your interpreted idea of “what this game is supposed to be”. It’s not an “entirely melee-oriented” game. Sorry. I don’t know where you got your information, but you were mislead. This game houses medieval combat, and archers were a part of that combat. You can rage and rage all you’d like, but nothing changes that fact.

As Torn Banner released this game how they intended, I doubt you’ll EVER see official servers limiting playable classes. That would simply be ridiculous on their part, and foolish to believe they’d do anything otherwise. They want to enable all facets of the gameplay they coded and will do so by allowing it on their public servers. Let private servers cower to archers and hold further restrictions.

Obviously, you hold no skill when it comes to utilizing or defeating archers. That sucks, it really does, but it doesn’t change anything. Either learn how to play the game to maximize your rounds or bide your time until you can hide on archer-free servers. You don’t understand how people can find them enjoyable - I don’t understand how people can be so bad and whine on forums about it.

• http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/about-it
    About page on the official site that we’re both posting on right now.

Why did we make it?
    “To create the best melee combat game ever.”

Kinda implies that melee was their main focus when making the game. Ranged combat isn’t mentioned at all on that page so I’m assuming it was added as a complete afterthought.

Also feel free to continue insulting me instead of trying to refute my argument. That’s what people usually do when they can’t come up with a decent counter-argument.

• Semi-official answer:

No.

• @SlyGoat:

Semi-official answer:

No.

Alright I guess it’s time to find a decent server and stick with it then.

• @David:

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/about-it
    I’m assuming it was added as a complete afterthought.

Whilst I’m not sure if this is true, that’s definitely a view that quite a few players (and some reviews) seem to take. Whether it was tacked on as an afterthought or not, it isn’t exactly good that people come away with that impression.

I don’t think class limits should be put on public games. The idea of pubic games is to go in with a bunch of random people and being able to play however you want with whatever you want.

Whilst I don’t exactly enjoy archer-heavy games (I remember a 8v8 where I was one of two melee players with particular fondness), I’m beginning to change my mind and agree with this view. Give private servers the option, certainly, but public servers should be as free from restrictions as possible.

• I allways choose the Knight class and I can see what you mean with a team full of archers on a TO map.
    But I think its not the archer class in specific that causes this but the people that play them.
    A player that has alot of experience with the archer class will probally not stay at the back and not do the objective.

You should not take away a class people love to play.
    It would be horrible if people decided knight was annoying and just said that it is now limited to 3 slots.
    I can imagine how archer players feel the same way.

If you don’t like it then go to a server that has the class limit configured.
    Official servers should stay vanilla to preserve the game as it was ment to be played.
    There are plenty of unofficial servers in the future that will have the server configured the way you want it.

• @David:

Also feel free to continue insulting me instead of trying to refute my argument. That’s what people usually do when they can’t come up with a decent counter-argument.

You want me to refute your argument? It’s very easy, you see. Google “Age of Chivalry”. http://store.steampowered.com/app/17510/

This isn’t the first version of this game, son, it was a HL2 mod - which included ranged combat as well. Afterthought? I think not.

Best save arguing for things you know something about. People have been killing archers for years before you even knew this game existed.

• I’ve never played Age of Chivalry and I don’t care about what was in it. I’m talking about this game; Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. It’s a separate game and I’m bringing up issues I have with this game, not any other game that it’s based on. And in THIS game, the devs made it very clear that melee is the main focus of the game, not range combat.

Also I find it funny how you go on about how I have no skill against archers in your first post when all of the issues I’ve brought up about archers in this thread have been when they’re on my team and not when I’m playing against them. Not that I enjoy playing against a team full of archers anyway. They aren’t fun to fight because they usually just run away or hang around the spawn where I need to deal with a load of their teammates, but I’ve already ranted about why I don’t like archers in another thread so let’s try and stay on-topic.