Man at Arms Shields

• I need to know more about the shield, since they don’t explain it very well within the description. The Heater shield slows you down, or at least that is what I have been lead to believe. The buckler though, no one knows if the buckler slows you down at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I mean slow as in running speed)

• From my experience with zee buckler, it doesnt slow u down at all.

(only when ur blocking and running but only alittle) Stops ur regen 4health&stanima when blocking.
    Takes somewhat of ur screen, after awhile tho u wont mind.
    Blocks arrows kills parrys, so yea.

• Shield is good but those damn fire pots are so alluring I just can’t resist setting fire to people!

• Thank you for your help Rodelero. I always want to use bucklers but I have been afraid that vanguards will be able to catch me :(. Thanks for that :D :D :D

• @TedBundyJr:

Shield is good but those damn fire pots are so alluring I just can’t resist setting fire to people!

This. This really hard.

• MAA shields are blasphemy. I never ever ever run knight with a shield, let alone MAA! Shields are a waste of time imo (especially after we get flails as they are a counter to shields)

• @Slaughtervomit:

MAA shields are blasphemy. I never ever ever run knight with a shield, let alone MAA! Shields are a waste of time imo (especially after we get flails as they are a counter to shields)

I agree with this. The MAA is about speed and mobility, hiding behind a shield goes against that. Dodging and fancy footwork is the way to go.

• @T_Roy:

@Slaughtervomit:

MAA shields are blasphemy. I never ever ever run knight with a shield, let alone MAA! Shields are a waste of time imo (especially after we get flails as they are a counter to shields)

I agree with this. The MAA is about speed and mobility, hiding behind a shield goes against that. Dodging and fancy footwork is the way to go.

MAA are like those dance fighters… Kapoera (spelling?) except they use medeival weapons… ;)

• MAA with shields is one of the most powerful dueling build. The shield makes them practically immune to most feints, except the difficult and slow directional feints which relies on the MAA having a slow reaction. Their mobility also allows them to get out of hugging situations where someone may attempt to flank their shields. Finally, shields are good against arrows.

• I almost exclusively use shields to defend myself from archers. Some games there will be 5+ of them sitting in a group and to keep it short…they get annoying. Tower shield up+sprint=distance closed…dead archers.

• I use a buckler shield when I play in third person and a heater in first. The buckler blocks a smaller area than the heater but covers up more of your screen in first person, which is really strange and annoying.

Aside from that the only real difference between the two is the heater drains less stamina when you block an attack and the buckler drops quicker after you release the block button. It’s a very small difference either way, and the primary reason I ever use the buckler in third person is because I like the way it looks. :P

@Slaughtervomit:

I sometimes run MaA shieldless, primarily when I’m using Dane Axe or Broadsword, but I play extremely aggressively as a MaA and shields are good for getting in range of defensive vanguards as well as, of course, archers.

The main reason I use shields though is the shield bash. Kick and shield bash both have the same effect - a 1.1 second stun where the only action you can take is blocking. You can’t even turn your screen, which is important for what shield bash is primarily used for as a MaA. The difference between kick and shield bash is pretty significant, however. After windup, kick has a .3 second release and a .4 second recovery. That means you have between .4 and .8 seconds (usually closer to .4 because you’ll likely be right in their face, hitting them at the very start of the release) to circle around your opponent while he’s incapable of turning. Shield bash, however, has a .2 second release and a .3 second windup, meaning you’ve got between .6 and .9 seconds (again, usually closer to .6). That’s enough time to complete an attack windup with a fast weapon like the hatchet while moving around an enemy, giving you the opportunity of an unblockable attack if perfectly executed.

• I actually did not know that Slygoat. Perhaps I’ll give shields a try after all. I mostly use throwing knives and I only swap out for a shield if I go up against a good knight who feints a lot or if Moor shows up and half the enemy team goes archer.

Thanks for the insight.

• I usually go without the shield, preferring the throwing daggers. When I first started playing I used the fire pot more, as it’s easy to aim, (to the point where I thought they were OP), but I found that once I got used to the dags, they became more useful overall. I use them to pick off obviously wounded opponents without having to engage them, which is especially nice when you’re about to be outnumbered, when you don’t want to chase down a fleeing opponent, etc. Sometimes even missing with a knife can give an opponent something to think about. Opponents with shields will keep them up until they think you’re out of ammo, so if you just throw one knife at a tower shield knight you can sometimes switch back to your primary and jumping overhead him, etc.

What I don’t like about the shield is that opponents can hit around it if they know what they’re doing, and even simple overheads can be completely impossible to block no matter how you aim your mouse - and that really sucks when a number of weapons can 1-shot you.

But I will pull out the shield if I’m going up against a lot of archers, whether I plan to rush them, or I just need to defend an objective. In this case I almost always go for the heater, as it has better coverage and doesn’t block as much vision in 1st person. If I know I’m going up against guys who actually feint, I may try out the shield, but I prefer to just be aggressive and not get myself into situations where they have the option of feinting; I may even just go archer. :P

I do like the faster shield bash, though, as I kick/bash a lot. I swear the shield bash also has longer range, has anyone noticed that, or am I imagining things?

• I don’t actually know how shove swing traces work, no idea if the range is better with shield bash. Regardless it’s mostly a waste of time to shove someone when you aren’t right in their face, since you’ll waste the entire stun duration getting in range, and the one class that would really want to use shove to create distance doesn’t have a shield.

I also prefer playing without a shield because I find successfully parrying attacks a lot more satisfying than holding a block, and also prefer to play in first person without my view being obstructed - but shield bash is hard to resist.

• Well, there are times when it’s best to shove a guy the second he comes into shove range - for example, when you’re holding ground at a treb or you’re about to be outnumbered when pushing a cart, or if you’re just trying to shove a guy into a flanking ally’s swing. I do that sort of thing a lot, actually. ^__^

I find a shield bash can also make some players a little hesitant, a little edgy, and it can interrupt their attack pattern. Novice players tend to use the same tricks over and over, and fight mechanically; if you can break up their routine with a quick shove, sometimes they’ll get flustered and leave you an opening. As an MAA, survival is all about exploiting openings.

• On MaA I typically run a shield when I’m using a shorter weapon, like the war axe. Otherwise I’m probably using the norse sword, in which case I find it better to go shieldless because the overhead attack after a parry is so fast. Pretty much comes down to preference.