Reach

• So we have got all numbers for all weapons (thanks to martin) besides the reach values. Ingame values are useless or wrong. But for a serious balance discussion we need numbers, as everyone’s experience of the reach of individual weapons is just subjective. And reach is just as important as speed or damage for a weapon’s balance. I know that reach will most likely not be changed, but I think it is important to at least know how long each individual weapon is.

I have also noticed some interesting stuff lately, as for instance the greatsword’s swing and stab have about the same reach, but both have marginally more reach than the overhead.

• Well, weapon reach matches the model of the weapon itself. I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to dig up the models from the game files. I personally have no idea how to do that, but I’m sure someone does. Then just line them up next to eachother and you’ve got your comparison.

Also because they’re tied to the weapon models, they’re the least likely value to change for balance purposes, because it would mean giving the weapon a new model.

• I don’t think it will be that easy, because the animation is also a factor. (like I mentioned above: greatsword swing reach>overhead reach). I also feel bad for saying: hey do this for me, because I can’t^^ But I think the game and the community would really benefit from these data.

Tbh I was hoping someone from Torn Banner would post the data, as they must have it.

• @SlyGoat:

Well, weapon reach matches the model of the weapon itself.

Dane

Axe

• Here’s a picture including all the weapons in the game so far plus one of the flails. Should give you an indicator of which weapons have longer reach.

http://tyler.brenot.ca/wip/chiv/arsall.jpg

• @Ulven:

Here’s a picture including all the weapons in the game so far plus one of the flails. Should give you an indicator of which weapons have longer reach.

http://tyler.brenot.ca/wip/chiv/arsall.jpg

Damn, I thought the Warbow would have the longest reach. Always seems like I’m getting hit from across the map by that thing.

• Thanks for your effort, but this isn’t going to help much. From that chart it seems like bardiche has significantly more reach than the zweihänder (can’t be,and I’m very sure that the zweihänder has more reach!). Also hatchet seems to be only marginally shorter than the dane axe (dane axe is at least 5 meters longer, in fact it should be twohanded ;P).

• Also keep in mind that ping effectively increases the range of all weapons from the victim’s point of view. With 100 ping, the attacker has 100 milliseconds of travel time beyond what you see on your screen. One reason why Zweihanders seems to have an ability to telescope into your face when you should be out of range.

• @Falc:

Thanks for your effort, but this isn’t going to help much. From that chart it seems like bardiche has significantly more reach than the zweihänder (can’t be,and I’m very sure that the zweihänder has more reach!). Also hatchet seems to be only marginally shorter than the dane axe (dane axe is at least 5 meters longer, in fact it should be twohanded ;P).

You hold the bardiche fairly far up the shaft whereas the Zweihander you hold at the hilt - also explains why none of the Knight twohanders have as much reach as you would think by looking at that image, and why the Dane Axe has such deceptively long range since it’s held in one hand at the very base. This also totally screws javelins, as they’re held near the middle of the shaft, cutting their length almost in half and giving the short spear about equivalent range to a shortsword.

• Reach means nothing if those graphics of weapons passing through an opponent without doing any noticeable damage or effect are actually what is happening.

Maybe it’s just a lag thing, maybe not, but it’s certainly noticeable.

• @Hidden:

Reach means nothing if those graphics of weapons passing through an opponent without doing any noticeable damage or effect are actually what is happening.

I’ve noticed that occasionally when I interrupt someone’s attack but the animation still plays and their weapon goes through me.

• @Hidden:

Reach means nothing if those graphics of weapons passing through an opponent without doing any noticeable damage or effect are actually what is happening.

I’ve noticed that occasionally when I interrupt someone’s attack but the animation still plays and their weapon goes through me.