Strategy: Play to kill or play not to die?

• Hello

Say you are playing a melee class, you go into a fight, you win, but you take some damage.

What should be your focus afterwards? Find cover and recover health or press forward and try to kill more of the enemy before you die?

I suppose what I’m asking is if you find it more beneficial for your team to not die over killing the enemy? I realize that it may depend on the situation, but can anything general be said?

• Depends upon personal skill. I know that I normally take less than 10% damage for each player I kill, so I’ll continue fighting until about 25% HP before I rest to heal up. Usually by this point though, there aren’t many enemies around me.

It’s always better to spend 10 seconds regenerating health than respawning though - just make sure enemy archers can’t see you. Even walking to the objective instead of sprinting can help.

• It depends on the situation and the gamemode heavily.
    In LTS I will allways regenerate , because if I die Im completely useless to my team.
    In TO it might be better to sacrafice yourself sometimes to help your team and you respawn anyway so why not.

But to say something in general about it.

As a knight I ussualy take cover and regenerate after I’m heavily damaged (under 50 % health)
    In my fights I ussualy try to take risks (Wich requires a good portion of my health sometimes)
    to do a unexpected move against the enemy (Attack him while he feints , jump overhead slash , dance etc.)
    If I was low on HP I would not be able to take any risks and would fight less aggresive against my enemy , meaning my efficiency in combat has decreased.

• @JHoersten2:

Depends upon personal skill. I know that I normally take less than 10% damage for each player I kill

What weapon does less then 10% damage, assuming you’ve been hit?
    :?

• @NoMilLord:

@JHoersten2:

Depends upon personal skill. I know that I normally take less than 10% damage for each player I kill

Kicks/Shield bash? ;)

• @Slaughtervomit:

@NoMilLord:

@JHoersten2:

Kicks/Shield bash? ;)

You maybe right but thought Kick did alot more?

• I thought it was only like 5% or so… I don’t know much about exact values of things…

• @Slaughtervomit:

I thought it was only like 5% or so… I don’t know much about exact values of things…

5% true damage.

• LTS= Play not to die

Anything else= Play to kill

TO= Play for objective only

• Anyway to reply to the OP, I play simply to rack up kills… I don’t even care about my deaths… I kill someone then move straight to another target… I don’t stop to recover often (especially using the maul) Even TO is TDM to me… I just find that enemies hang around objectives and enjoy smashing them together instead of playing hide and seek

• It’s very situational, but there are definitely times when it’s best to press on, and times when it’s best to take a moment to heal up.

I play MAA, and there are so many weapons that can 1-shot me anyway that I don’t particularly mind going up against the heavier classes injured; however, I fight better when I have full colour vision, so being very low on HP can actually affect my gameplay.

Also, a lot of what I do involves attacking people from flanks, distracting people, drawing archer fire - none of which involves taking much damage, so I can still do these things in relative safety even while injured. If there’s an ally struggling in a 1v1 duel, I’d rather duck in and try to save his butt; there’s no sense in healing myself if it means a teammate dies instead.

However, if I’m not in a position to do any of these things, I’ll slink off to heal. If the odds are heavily in our favour or theirs, I’ll hang back: If we’re outnumbering them, I’m probably not going to do much good by piling on, and there’s a better chance that I’m going to get TK’ed by a wild swing; if they’re outnumbering us, I prefer to wait for reinforcements and use that time to heal and/or restock on daggers/pots/whatever. Healing is also a good opportunity to type some suggestions to the team, to organize or lift morale, etc.

I’m not concerned about KDR; I’ll happily eat a 0.5 or worse kdr if it means we win the objective.

• @NoMilLord:

It’s an average. Many players I take 0 damage from, thus if I face 2 opponents, I figure I’ll take 20%, etc.

• It’s always situational. When you’re dead you can’t support your team in any way, and unless you’re playing free-for-all the overall victory of your team matters more than your personal score, but sometimes it’s worth it to risk death when it can make a big difference, like making that last push on the objective.

• @SlyGoat:

the overall victory of your team matters more than your personal score

QFT