How to get past shields (sick of being called a hacker)

• Ever since I started running into more and more shield knights, I’ve gotten accused of hacking each time I kill them through their block. As that’s annoying and really silly, I figured I’d post how to completely ignore people’s shields, and how to prevent them from doing the same to you.

NOTE: I’m not trying to pretend this is some kind of secret. Chances are if you’re the type who digs into game forums, you already know this. But if you don’t, now’s the time to learn, and anything I can do to reduce the hacking accusations that sometimes lead to votekicking is worth doing.

How to surpass people’s blocks:

The way swinging and hit detection works in Chivalry is deceptively simple. As long as the tip of their weapon is visible on your screen when you raise your shield [or parry, but that’s not what this is about] you’ll successfully block. If you block the middle of their blade, but their tip is no longer in your field of vision, you’ll get hit. This is what you use to hit people through their shields, and how you stop them from hitting you.

If you want to hit someone through their shield, the most critical thing is being close. It doesn’t matter if you have a halberd or a dagger, you need to be hugging onto them. The easiest way to do this if you’re not an MaA with a lunge is to sprint as you attack, aiming to press yourself directly against their shield. Then you swing, aimed for the space just above their shoulder, while turning into the blow. As long as you’re hugging onto them, this will strike them through their shield, every single time.

So, pretty powerful, yeah? How do you stop people from doing it to you? By doing the exact opposite. Whenever you’re not attacking, you should be backpedaling, facing the center of your opponent’s body. When they start to swing, you need to turn towards the tip of their weapon, keeping it visible on your screen as you block. This usually means turning about 45 degrees left [if a one-handed weapon] or 7-90 degrees left [if a two-handed sword, hammer, or polearm].

This is literally all there is to it. It’s not a hack, it’s not an exploit, it’s an intended feature to keep shields from being unbeatable. If you’ve played for awhile, you probably already know this, but for any who aren’t aware, there you go.

• Already know and learnt this in the tutorial of the game I think. It is really simple but you are right about the ignorance, often I see someone accuse someone else and I tell them in chat on the server that it is legit and how.

This is also why I only ever use shield VS missiles or to block a doorway or objective, if you want to block perfect with a shield you also have to blind yourself to the enemy making it harder to actually block.

Shield for me really all is a thing to counter missiles.

• Yeah I think a lot of players skip the tutorial, so they never find out about it.

Also, I disagree on shield being a liability for blocking in melee. I use it to defend safely against everything from daggers to halberds. As long as you have your mouse sensitivity set accordingly [mine’s around 70 or so, raising it again soon], keep their weapon’s end visible, and treat blocks like parries - by which I mean only raise it at the last second - blocking can be very, very safe.

Oh, and if you’re a knight, kite = right. Tower shields are crap for melee. They do blind the hell out of you.

• Watch a guy like jest play. If you know that you can attack immediately after a block with a shield, you’d also know that the attack can be feinted. That’s a 1 up on parries. Also, a shield, if properly used, has the potential to block EVERYTHING. Men at arms are annoying for the fact that their weapons are so fast that if you don’t parry during their swing windup, you’ll be hit. They understand this very well, and will take advantage of this by furiously feinting. As any other class, you can’t parry a man at arms facehugging you if they have the ability to feint. It’s impossible. So if you can aim a shield towards the tip of their weapon, you can actually make feinting man at arms lose all of their stamina from trying too hard to get around your block. The only downside is that weapons like the halberd can poke about 3 times in a second to move you out of range, and make it difficult to get back into range.

Either way, good people = hacker in the eyes of noobs.

• Kick into overhead look down combo for shield wearers…just dont tell metrocop!

:D

• I get called a hacker for jumping and doing an overhand above their shield. Or doing what you were taught in training and stabbing round the side. I get called a hcker sometimes to. Really guys get some skill.

This is something I hadn’t thought about and I might try you way. Though I usually don’t get too close.

• I hope they change it so that blocking and parrying doesn’t only apply when looking at the tip of a weapon. If I see a sword go through my shield, it should’ve been blocked, if you ask me. But, that could also make blocking way too easy, so I’m not sure what a way to balance realism without making shields a wall of invulnerability.

• All this shit doesn’t work on good shield players, and by good I mean fucking good above +40 lvl.

• I had a good laugh the other day as a knight with the kite shield & mace. I smashed down three guys and suddenly I had three vanguards, two knights and two man at arms coming at me all at once with my team nowhere to be found……

… Sheilds up Captain!!

as they surrounded me, I couldn’t attack as I was too busy blocking everybody’s attack… I lasted a good 30 seconds blocking everybody’s swings as I had the timing down pretty good (guys on the left swing, guy on the rear, now the front guys, block right, swing back to the left guys, repeat)

I did take a swing with my trusty mace and disintegrated one guy’s head, but then I got hacked down.

If I am one on one, I’ll usually go with a two handed weapon… When I see there is more than one guy coming, the shield comes up… I can parry one guy just fine, but the shield can block multiple hits better if you know where to position it and when.

• Any tips for dealing with tower shields when using weapons like the spear or maul? Shields annoy me, especially in FFA where I can’t depend on teammates for flanking.

• @Salad:

Any tips for dealing with tower shields when using weapons like the spear or maul? Shields annoy me, especially in FFA where I can’t depend on teammates for flanking.

Simply put, man? A good player won’t be using a tower shield. Tower shields are for defending from archers, they’re AWFUL for melee due to their stamina drain and slowness to rise.

You have secondary weapons for a reason. Pull out your one-hander, then hug them and cleave them over their shoulder. Works as well on tower shields as kite shields if you’re doing it correctly. Sprint as you attack, try to stay to their left, and swing around their shoulder.

Even if they’re able to block a lot, you’ll still be draining their stamina due to the tower shield’s massive drain, so time is on your side.

• Another tactic… There are some guys with tower shields, of course.
    Use twohanded. Sprint in, if they attack, stop out of reach, start overhead and look down.
    If they don’t attack, start overhead jump attack and look down. Most ppl are not expecting this. Also a good tactic in close distance (less than 1m). Start a swing, cancel, jump overhead attack.

If you want to use twohanded most, overheads are best to get past tower shields if the player is good in defending.

• Many thanks, I’ll keep those tips in mind. Does a shield-blocked hit cost the attacker stamina btw?

• Yes.

• @Rampage:

Simply put, man? A good player won’t be using a tower shield.

There’s a player I see often on the one of the west coast NCIX servers named lazydna and I observed from spectator PoV of him tearing up the map using a tower shield and hammer. He would plow into the fray, block their blows, grab a couple of kills, pull out and then do it all over again throughout the session. In fact he pretty much owns the scoreboard regardless of class he plays. I’ve never seen anything like it.

• @peasant:

@Rampage:

Simply put, man? A good player won’t be using a tower shield.

There’s a player I see often on the one of the west coast NCIX servers named lazydna and I observed from spectator PoV of him tearing up the map using a tower shield and hammer. He would plow into the fray, block their blows, grab a couple of kills, pull out and then do it all over again throughout the session. In fact he pretty much owns the scoreboard regardless of class he plays. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Well, I’m not going to doubt he might be skilled, but it isn’t hard to dominate the charts in the open servers. Tower shields do have the advantage of being easier to block with, but the simple fact is that a kite shield can be turned and angled to block very well too if you’re willing to learn the hitbox on it, and is way less draining on resources.

The whole reason he’d ‘pull out’ is because blocking with the tower shield is a stamina drain, and he’s probably running low after 2-3 blocks or swings.

I’m not doubting the guy’s good, but I’d bet RL money that he’d do even better with a kite shield.

• @Wobbler:

I hope they change it so that blocking and parrying doesn’t only apply when looking at the tip of a weapon. If I see a sword go through my shield, it should’ve been blocked, if you ask me. But, that could also make blocking way too easy, so I’m not sure what a way to balance realism without making shields a wall of invulnerability.

make it so if the shield is up you cant see anything so you cant permanently have your shield up.
    i mean if you can see over your shield, it means your head is above it, so should be able to be hit?
    perhaps on block the shield covers most of the screen like now but on contact of an attack the anim raises the shield up obscuring the whole view (thus protecting the user) but giving then a disadvantage.
    shield is way too defensive now anyway.
    maybe blocking low requires a duck. looking down to parry lows is reasonable but for shields it just looks wrong for the attacker.try stabbing a shield users feet. it looks like you hit them going under theirs shield , but they always block it!!