Racism

• It seems a lot of the crowd here likes to spout of about any ethnic group from a-z.
    This is the most embarrassed I have been for a generation of people.
    Is there a word filter in the future?
    Are there any repercussions the offenders may face?
    Are there any actions the random player can take against the offensive racism?
    People should know better yet it is happening in every server at some point.
    I am tired of stopping and having to vote kick someone for some racist crap.
    Any plans on fixing this issue?

• Hear hear.

• Can’t “fix” people.

The other option would be to add a chat filter. No word on that happening as of yet.

• @Octavious:

It seems a lot of the crowd here likes to spout of about any ethnic group from a-z.
    This is the most embarrassed I have been for a generation of people.
    Is there a word filter in the future?
    Are there any repercussions the offenders may face?
    Are there any actions the random player can take against the offensive racism?
    People should know better yet it is happening in every server at some point.
    I am tired of stopping and having to vote kick someone for some racist crap.
    Any plans on fixing this issue?

No, there are no filters and I have no idea if there will be in the future, but I’ll add it to the list of things to be discussed.

Join our steam moderator group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/chivmod

and if you encounter anything on the official servers, then contact one of the mods that are online. Or I’ll be in the chatroom if I’m available. Keep in mind that no noise sounds for the chatroom, so I may not catch the messages in time. We can’t do anything on private servers though.

And remember, it’s for REAL TIME issues. Don’t contact us about something that happened last week. :P

Thanks

• I’m against blackword filtering, I’d much rather like the racists to expose themselfes and get kicked to oblivion where they belong. Though sometimes inititating kickvotes against racist idiots also fails and gets yourself kicked. but that’s life.
    +1 to people can’t be fixed.

• It doesn’t really bother me. I think in game where there’s severed heads and limbs flying everywhere, a little trash talk is perfectly fine.

• @Bobby_Budnick:

It doesn’t really bother me. I think in game where there’s severed heads and limbs flying everywhere, a little trash talk is perfectly fine.

Bobby trash talk and racism are 2 different things.
    Nothing has ever been wrong with trash talk in any competition.
    Now you go out on the street and start yelling racial slurs at people, you will find yourself
    in jail, beaten, or perhaps dead. This country is a melting pot of people.
    That same ethnic melting pot fought wars to give us the freedom we have today.
    Laws are in place that stop the vocal taunts of racist’s.
    If any feel the need to spread hate and ignorance their are forums for that.
    Just please refrain from spreading that poison anywhere near me.
    I have no issues with a vote kick war, if it separates me from the ignorant.

• I think most people who kick someone with hate speech.

• @Octavious:

@Bobby_Budnick:

It doesn’t really bother me. I think in game where there’s severed heads and limbs flying everywhere, a little trash talk is perfectly fine.

Now you go out on the street and start yelling racial slurs at people, you will find yourself

What you’re describing is harassment, which is a different thing. But just using the occasional slur, I don’t see that really as any worse than using “gay” or “retarded” as insults which I see people do all the time in the game and everyone is okay with it.

• Votekick them, that’s what it’s there for.

• @Bobby_Budnick:

What you’re describing is harassment, which is a different thing. But just using the occasional slur, I don’t see that really as any worse than using “gay” or “retarded” as insults which I see people do all the time in the game and everyone is okay with it.

I don’t give any of this a by. I screenshot any hate speech and report it. Just because you don’t see any visual proof of repercussion doesn’t mean everyone is okay with it. I tend to start a vote kick. We’ve dis-empowered those that are preyed upon where people believe that even they think it’s okay to be preyed upon.

A lot of people "seemed’ okay with slavery. Doesn’t mean there wasn’t something done about it.

That said, I do hope that these forms of harassment NO ONE is okay with.

• I actually haven’t seen any of this is the game. I personally think: leave people to their opinions. People can think what they like. You don’t have to agree with it, and you don’t have to like. I would MUCH rather have freedom of speech and have to put up with people like that now and again, than have that freedom taken away.

• @carrion:

I’m against blackword filtering, I’d much rather like the racists to expose themselfes and get kicked to oblivion where they belong.

Yyyyyeah, last time I’ve played this game (a little while), someone threw racist slurs at me.
    Tried to votekick him, not only people voted no, but they votekicked me right after.

@KingArthur:

I actually haven’t seen any of this is the game. I personally think: leave people to their opinions. People can think what they like. You don’t have to agree with it, and you don’t have to like. I would MUCH rather have freedom of speech and have to put up with people like that now and again, than have that freedom taken away.

lol,
    I wouldn’t mind people expressing their opinions if they had the balls of expressing them when you’re in front of them. Those kind of people don’t, they’re just happy they can do so well hidden behind the safety of their little screen.

• Racism, Trollkilling, Griefing:

If VK fails then a couple of nice smackdowns by the team in spawn usually do the trick or better yet a smackdown followed by VK

• My policy is to get a thicker skin and not let words thrown around in a video game bother me.
    I for one am proud to be called a taco-eater, because I really like tacos. And I’ll be damned if my relatives don’t indeed own at least one burro.

• @PedroFromHell:

My policy is to get a thicker skin and not let words thrown around in a video game bother me.
    I for one am proud to be called a taco-eater, because I really like tacos. And I’ll be damned if my relatives don’t indeed own at least one burro.

Mmm tacos!

• i’d be cool with a filter. If that person wants to be ignorant, they have that right. I shouldn’t be forced to see it.

If you have the gall to say it online, make a video of yourself saying it and post it on youtube. You may than say it as much as you want as far as I’m concerned.

My thing is, don’t go temporarily or undercover racist/sexism/jerkasshatmcidiotron. Go all the way you cowards.

• @Octavious:

Seems like a US thing perhaps?

I checked out a number of videos online about the gameplay prior to getting the game and while I seen some vids from UK players, there was hardly anything worthwhile mentioning in regards to language and racist comments.

But when I saw vids from US players / US Servers, I saw a lot of racist and slightly excessive swearing text fly across the screen, as well as mic chatter.

Playing here in Australia, I’ll come across a few swear words and the rare Fa***t remark from one or two clowns, but not often enough to consider it annoying or distracting…… the chatter in Chivalry is a lot more “Civilized” compared to most other games I play.

And from originally coming from Canada, sure, us Canadians like our swearing (it’s what keeps us so friendly, cuz we blow off steam that way)… but not too many would stoop to racist comments while playing a game… well… maybe except for people from Alberta 8-)

But yeah, from the US vids I have seen online… the racism is pretty rampant… but it’s not just in Chivalry. It’s in just about any online game you can find on YouTube.

Something I miss from early 2000’s games was the option to mute players, both in chat and mic.

Why can’t a mute function based on the player selected be brought back in? It’d be a lot easier than trying to set up a long list of words that need to be censored, which many could find a way around those censors by typing the words slightly differently.

A mute function would just work a lot better in the end.

… or server admins who actually do their jobs and are around from time to time on their own servers to see what’s going on.

But that’s asking for too much, so bring back the good ol Mute Function

• @Cpt-Praxius:

@Octavious Giaus:

Seems like a US thing perhaps?

I checked out a number of videos online about the gameplay prior to getting the game and while I seen some vids from UK players, there was hardly anything worthwhile mentioning in regards to language and racist comments.

But when I saw vids from US players / US Servers, I saw a lot of racist and slightly excessive swearing text fly across the screen, as well as mic chatter.

Playing here in Australia, I’ll come across a few swear words and the rare Fa***t remark from one or two clowns, but not often enough to consider it annoying or distracting…… the chatter in Chivalry is a lot more “Civilized” compared to most other games I play.

And from originally coming from Canada, sure, us Canadians like our swearing (it’s what keeps us so friendly, cuz we blow off steam that way)… but not too many would stoop to racist comments while playing a game… well… maybe except for people from Alberta 8-)

But yeah, from the US vids I have seen online… the racism is pretty rampant… but it’s not just in Chivalry. It’s in just about any online game you can find on YouTube.

Something I miss from early 2000’s games was the option to mute players, both in chat and mic.

Why can’t a mute function based on the player selected be brought back in? It’d be a lot easier than trying to set up a long list of words that need to be censored, which many could find a way around those censors by typing the words slightly differently.

A mute function would just work a lot better in the end.

… or server admins who actually do their jobs and are around from time to time on their own servers to see what’s going on.

But that’s asking for too much, so bring back the good ol Mute Function

Well, I really agree with that. Mute someone in both chat and voice with vote started by players or impose by an admin. It also be good if some player who was muted X times in a period were marked with a tag or something that’s identify him or automute him everytime he entered in a server.